Diplomacy in poker

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"He is a good man". This is a simple sentence.
"He is not a bad man". Are these two sentences equivalent in meaning or they express the same thing?
This is what we call diplomacy. If you are straight forward then you might use the first sentence. And if you don't want to annoy anyone then you might use the second sentence. You keep some preservation.
In poker we use the same diplomacy in actions. During play we pretend as if we have nothing but at the end we bring out monster. And sometimes we don't have anything but we pose as if we are holding big hand.
What do you think about it?

SAKhur

SAKhur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think if you do not pretend and play on the chances that the game will be more profitable in the long run

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Appearance and behavior are almost always deceptive, when the game is on the money.

T

twoG1cup

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"He is a good man". This is a simple sentence.
"He is not a bad man". Are these two sentences equivalent in meaning or they express the same thing?
On the poker table "good" and "bad" refer more to etiquette, not strategy.
Trying to hook someone in by selling contemplation is just part of the game and is neither good nor bad morally.
Now blowing up and doing a Hellmuth or doing the Matusow rubbing it in that's just bad etiquette

I

Igrok1385385

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bluffing is part of poker and does not apply to diplomacy.In general, I believe that diplomacy is not a word that applies to poker.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think diplomacy in poker has absolutely no meaning. Poker is not a compromise game, poker is rather a combination of ultimatums.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, only my victory is important. And I am not interested in whether my opponents are good guys or bad guys. Indifferently. For me, only my victory is important.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One sentence sounds like
the other sounds like
half a dozen.
Not much difference really.:confused:

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
For me, while playing poker, there are only my opponents at the table. Therefore, I never set myself the goal of being a diplomatic player.

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One sentence sounds like
the other sounds like
half a dozen.
Not much difference really.:confused:

Yes, it is true. Not much difference.
But in certain situations, if that good man no more remains as a good man and you have used the 1st sentence, then what would be your reaction.
On the other hand if you have used the 2nd sentence, then you can always say, "I never said, he is a good man".
In diplomatic arena, most of the time, you will never get a direct answer. They keep a margin to say something later if the things go wrong in future.

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think diplomacy in poker has absolutely no meaning. Poker is not a compromise game, poker is rather a combination of ultimatums.

I used the word "diplomacy" with poker. The reason is i think bluffing is one kind of diplomacy. You claim you are right but you know very well that you are not right. You claim the pot as if you have a winning hand but you don't have the winning hand.

DizzyDeb717

DizzyDeb717

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
To me, diplomacy in poker is saying "nice hand" when your opponent calls your raise with J5 off and takes out your aces.

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm just very cold-blooded in the game, so, probably, this is alien to me.

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
It seems that this is from the field of psychology. Man is always drawn to the unknown. Exactly as long as the unknown does not turn into knowledge. The unknown is scary, uncertainty is scary. And all this makes you interested in the unknown. As soon as the cards are revealed - we get knowledge. What the enemy had cards and what was his strategy. This is how we gain knowledge.

Mac Poker