difficulties to read this type of spot

PosFlopALLIN

PosFlopALLIN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I would like to know if you can read this type of situation ... when villain hits a straight set on the flop ... I can never get rid of this type of situation ... any help?
villain showed QKs

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)][/COLOR]

[/COLOR]
...Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - 20/40 - 6 players

Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG (Hero): 3,150 (79 bb)
MP: 1,500 (38 bb)
CO: 1,455 (36 bb)
BU: 2,900 (73 bb)
SB: 1,460 (37 bb)
BB: 1,500 (38 bb)

Pre-Flop: (60) Hero is UTG with K A
Hero raises to 130, 2 players fold, BTN calls 130, 1 fold, BB calls 90

Flop: (410) J T A (3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets 308, BTN calls 308, BB folds

Turn: (1,026) A (2 players)
Hero bets 513, BTN calls 513

River: (2,052) 2 (2 players)
Hero bets 513, BTN raises to 1,949 (all-in), Hero calls 1,436

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You got really unlucky situation. It's really dangerous flop and in this case better play carefully. After the river when the villain re-raised your bet probably it was a sign that he got a straight. I would may be check after turn and see what he will do. He could also get a full house for example. Your hand was strong but not strong enough. I had quite same situation but the villain got full house on the river (against mine two pairs) and I did same mistake

T1ltmonkey

T1ltmonkey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is this cash of tourney? And did you have any kind of read on villain?

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You played the hand fine, but T1ltmonkey makes a good point on reads. If for example, your opponent is a tight-passive player, you can fold the river when he shoves. The reason is that he will not shove hands like A9 for value (or likely play them pre-flop), and he'll almost never be bluffing. So besides an occasional AQ, he'll be showing you almost only full houses and straights.

Against a random at low stakes though, I think your line is totally good!

A fox 666

A fox 666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The usual situation for an opponent poker is getting a straight from the flop. With this you need to either put up (as with an inevitable evil) or stop playing at all. There is another option - to put with this hand preflop is not 3.5 BB, but at least 5 or 6 BB.

PosFlopALLIN

PosFlopALLIN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it was a freeroll at ACM

Is this cash of tourney? And did you have any kind of read on villain?

I didn't have a solid image of the opponent ... I just changed tables ... but it's not like that to give up AK with three-turn ... the villain played well and I missed on the river

PosFlopALLIN

PosFlopALLIN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks

You played the hand fine, but T1ltmonkey makes a good point on reads. If for example, your opponent is a tight-passive player, you can fold the river when he shoves. The reason is that he will not shove hands like A9 for value (or likely play them pre-flop), and he'll almost never be bluffing. So besides an occasional AQ, he'll be showing you almost only full houses and straights.

Against a random at low stakes though, I think your line is totally good!

thanks!! I really didn't have much information about the villain ... I had just been transferred from the table ... but I wasn't going to drop AKs like that ... but I could have played better river.but I would have more or less the same line as you said if I had information that he was tight

[/COLOR]

W

wallyworld127

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a good way to not get caught with ak like this is just shove it pre... this is a tourny right, the point is to get chips right? if your having trouble with ak just shove it. the chance they have aces or kings is little and those are the only 2 hands you really care about (kings not even that much). It isnt THE most profitable way to play it but i think it is positive eq. especially lower than 20bb.and is surely pos. ev in a fr. at any bb.

G

Goathead147

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shoving pre flop

I lose as much as I win pushing pre flop
I usally just raise min till flop

PosFlopALLIN

PosFlopALLIN

Rock Star