Different level poker strategies

JobyPoker

JobyPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’ve realized that the different levels of poker are extremely opposing which is obvious due to the money involved, the interesting thing is that the strategies going into the games are very different. Example, Phil Ivey sits down at a 1/2 game. There’s a good chance Phil would do bad for awhile due to his level of play and strategies. Bluffs don’t work very well at 1/2, because most people are calling stations. so value betting is the optional way to make money. Also, players almost NEVER bluff check re-raise at low level. On the opposing side players won’t fold either to check-reraise because they just don’t think about it at low level. Higher level players always have a hard time calling big river bets. Very interesting how the play at different levels changes, but it makes sense in the end. When players are too tight, bluff more, when they’re loose, value bet.

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My Opinion

I agree that the poker strategies should be combined and that the higherlevel players need to push more often while the lower level players should wait till the blinds are up before pushing. At least don't push as often.

VivicvrMga

VivicvrMga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the strategy owes several to the situation faced at the table. at a tighter table we can be more aggressive. in a loose table we can increase the range of hand and seize opportunities.
Vary and a form of exercise also to find a style of its own.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’ve realized that the different levels of poker are extremely opposing which is obvious due to the money involved, the interesting thing is that the strategies going into the games are very different. Example, Phil Ivey sits down at a 1/2 game. There’s a good chance Phil would do bad for awhile due to his level of play and strategies. Bluffs don’t work very well at 1/2, because most people are calling stations. so value betting is the optional way to make money. Also, players almost NEVER bluff check re-raise at low level. On the opposing side players won’t fold either to check-reraise because they just don’t think about it at low level. Higher level players always have a hard time calling big river bets. Very interesting how the play at different levels changes, but it makes sense in the end. When players are too tight, bluff more, when they’re loose, value bet.
Any of the good highroller regs would exceptionally quickly adjust to a lowstakes game.

In order to do well in highstakes you need to be world class in adjusting to different strategies.

F

felipeanicio

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The strategy is not just limited to pros or weak, it is a diversity that you have to adapt throughout the game.

Justin Bloomquist

Justin Bloomquist

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I totally agree with this

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It speaks back to finding "your game". What is interesting is these pro players had to start somewhere on the low end. Although NL is the standard now it wasn't the norm in the years before the boom. Most cash games were at the limit level. Still a lot of calling stations. I often wonder how and when they moved up.

S

shadow72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The fact that every table at each level has a completely different dynamic to it requires any player of any level to be able to make proper adjustments each time they play.

Yes, each level of play has a general type/style of play to it, but a player that sticks to one certain style of play, and never adjusts, will quickly lose their bankroll.

I agree that almost any high level player would be able to quickly adjust to the different style of play of a lower level game, but it wouldn't be worth their time to do so (obviously).

Max Diver

Max Diver

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Strategy is very important and you need to change it during the game. Agressive, very agressive, tight, lots of chips, low... Focus and do your best

M

martina pinto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
each level has different strategy .. you have to go through levels keeping the most profitable strategies that has given us results

Last edited by a moderator:
SrWesleiNF

SrWesleiNF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, I always try to identify the strategy on live tables of opponents

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
Personally, I bluff very rarely. I prefer a more cautious game when I have good cards. I do not have a lot of experience, so my strategy is always a very restrained and cautious game.
Good luck.