Determing Value and Pot Odds for a beginner

B

Black Panther

Total posts
Hi All

I have been trying to work out Pot odds and how to determine Value. I have been reading up about it, but for a beginner it appears quite complexed.

I was wondering if there are kind punters who may be able to explain the basics of working out pot odds and determining whether the Pot Odds represent value. I play a little bit of poker, and I find it quite hard to calculate the odds exactly under pressure, so I was hoping someone might be able to provide me with some easy advice to quickly work out the odds roughly.

I can work out the number of outs I have, but i need to try and convert this information into a form that I can use to determine whether it is value.

I need some advice on the following:

Say I have 7 outs, leading up to the river. This means there are 46 unseen cards. What is the easiest way to convert this into a form that i can use.

I can work out the value of the pot (It would be a bit scary if i couldnt). But what is the easiest way to compare the probablity of outs against the value of the pot.

Any help that can provided would be much appreciated. I am just hoping to get a basic grasp on it to try and help understand it.

Cheers

BP

B

Bentheman87

Total posts
Hope I can help Black Panther. Ok, first find out your pot odds. You understand this part right? It's very simple, take the total pot (including opponent's bet) and divide it by the amount you need to call. So if there's $5 in the pot and your opponent bets $1, your pot odds are 6-1.

Now there are two main different scenarios. You could be drawing to a hand if you're on the flop or turn. Now you have to know what the odds are against you making your draw. Just memorize these ones for now. The odds against hitting a flush for the next card only if you're on a flush draw is 4:1. Open ended str8 is 5:1. If you have bottom pair and need to improve to trips or two pair, 8:1. If you have a gutshot straight draw, 11:1. If you have two high cards, 7:1.

Now the second scenario is if the betting is preflop and you or your opponent is all in. For example, if you're in the big blind and a player goes all in ahead of you, don't instantly fold if you have a 7 4 offsuit. Find out your pot odds and compare them to the odds against you winning against different hands your opponent might have went all in with. So if you think you're opponent has an Ace King, you are a 1.7:1 underdog with 74. If you're pot odds preflop are better than 1.7:1 then you should call. Make sense?

B

Bentheman87

Total posts
Basically, just memorize this...

Flush draw 4:1
Open ended str8 draw 5:1
5 outs 8:1
gutshot str8 draw 11:1

Pair vs lower pair 4.5:1
pair vs 2 undercards 5:1
pair vs 1 high card 1 low card 2.5:1
AK vs AQ 2.7:1
2 overcards vs 2 undercards 1.7:1
1 high card 1 low card vs 2 inbetween cards 1.5:1
Pair vs two overcards 1.2:1

DetroitJimmy

DetroitJimmy

Legend
Total posts
Once you get the outs of certain hands memorized,here is something simple for ya to use.Just remember 2 and 4.Once you have seen a flop,and calculated your outs,just multiply by 2 for the percentage of hitting the turn.Multiply by 4 for the percentage to hit by the river.

For example:You hold a:jd4::10d4:.The flop comes:9d4::8d4::as4:.Now you have a flush draw(9 outs)+ an opened ended straight draw(6 more outs).Normally an open ended straight draw is 8 outs,but you're already including the 7 and Q of diamonds as part of your flush outs.So 9+6=15 total outs.

Now that we have our outs we know that 15 * 2 = 30.This means you have a 30% chance of hitting either your flush or straight on the turn.

15 * 4 = 60,Therefore you have a 60% chance to make your hand if you see it down to the showdown.After the flop you have a better chance of making your hand than a guy holding an ace!You may not have the best hand now,but you have the odds of having the best hand at the showdown.

Keep in mind this is not perfect math,but is good enough for our purpose.Hope this has been a help as it took me 10 minutes to type while drunk:beer:.

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator