Desire or inclination

M

Mercury7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In recent days, I've been wondering what it takes to be successful in poker in the long term, whether it’s just enough desire, or whether you need to have a penchant for the skills you need in poker.
To be honest, I'm more inclined towards the second option.
From experience confirming this, I work on myself and I understand perfectly well that a person cannot change.

What do you think and why?

D

Dandadandan

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience and mental fortitude to deal with variance. Some bad runs last so long you might think you're just a terrible player... it isn't always the case!

Rost

Rost

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think the main thing in poker is your patience. Only patience will allow you to achieve good results in the long run. You need to be patient and then you will be able to be disciplined, persistent and focused on achieving your goals.

HTML

HTML

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TM
Chips
we have a constant desire to win. we need luck, we have the rest. we also have enough skill.

B

BodyCount

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's all about inspiration in my opinion. It leads you to be more disciplined, focused, bold in your decisions, etc.

M

mouTAT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Passion and love of the game to be able study the game, improve your skills and never giving up trying beat the unbeatable

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
patience and constant feedback, dedicating time to study is very important, being focused to achieve goals and always staying that way regardless of bad spells:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It takes and incredible amount of patience and discipline to win at poker.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In order to succeed in any business, including poker, you must be prepared for hard daily work for many years. So, you have to have a tendency to hard work to achieve your goals and realize your dreams.

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In recent days, I've been wondering what it takes to be successful in poker in the long term, whether it’s just enough desire, or whether you need to have a penchant for the skills you need in poker.
From experience confirming this, I work on myself and I understand perfectly well that a person cannot change.

Good day, I believe that in order to achieve success in poker, the main thing is to be patient and disciplined, and the rest comes with experience! But this is just my opinion and you shouldn't listen to it too much because I'm new to poker! I wish you all the best poker success and good luck at the tables!

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Without skill, no work can be done. In poker, patience and luck isn't enough. And the experience of the game is even more appreciated.

M

Mercury7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In order to succeed in any business, including poker, you must be prepared for hard daily work for many years. So, you have to have a tendency to hard work to achieve your goals and realize your dreams.

Yes, this is exactly the conclusion I have come to. You need to work on yourself in order to achieve your goals and be able to when you need to limit yourself.

That is, it turns out that a successful poker player makes himself, right? He learns himself, improves his game, develops patience, increases concentration, etc.
That is why, it turns out it is still a tendency, desire alone, alas, is not enough.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
a little bit of each , but ii i think better is more inclination then desire , of course sometimes you want to win , but in general i just like playing poker , no matter if i lose or win :)

M

Mercury7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a little bit of each , but ii i think better is more inclination then desire , of course sometimes you want to win , but in general i just like playing poker , no matter if i lose or win :)

Poker as a hobby is great too! :)
In the question, I meant poker as the main income

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips

I believe that understanding poker strategies is not enough to always achieve good results, or to make the player reach the professional level. Yes, it is good for the player to understand all these strategies, but he must also be cold-blooded or learn how to control his anger and joy, and this requires reading some characteristics of psychology so that he can control his movement and reaction in front of opponents. As well as reading their every move.
The game of poker does not always depend on good and strong hands, sometimes it will not distribute any strong hand to you for a long time, and in this case you will need to use the skill of body language and reading opponents to remain in the game until you exit this stage ;)

M

Mercury7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that understanding poker strategies is not enough to always achieve good results, or to make the player reach the professional level. Yes, it is good for the player to understand all these strategies, but he must also be cold-blooded or learn how to control his anger and joy, and this requires reading some characteristics of psychology so that he can control his movement and reaction in front of opponents. As well as reading their every move.
The game of poker does not always depend on good and strong hands, sometimes it will not distribute any strong hand to you for a long time, and in this case you will need to use the skill of body language and reading opponents to remain in the game until you exit this stage ;)

Agree. Ideally, you can do emotional intelligence. :):)
This influences life enormously and changes it for the better.

M

Mercury7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good day, I believe that in order to achieve success in poker, the main thing is to be patient and disciplined, and the rest comes with experience! But this is just my opinion and you shouldn't listen to it too much because I'm new to poker! I wish you all the best poker success and good luck at the tables!

Thanks, good luck to you too!

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To be successful in poker you need experience and a great desire to play, the more you play, the more chances you have of winning.:)

Sivraj

Sivraj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience, skill, and discipline is the key.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Improve your skills and hope that at a distance your skills will exceed the luck of the lucky ones :)

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Yes, this is exactly the conclusion I have come to. You need to work on yourself in order to achieve your goals and be able to when you need to limit yourself.

That is, it turns out that a successful poker player makes himself, right? He learns himself, improves his game, develops patience, increases concentration, etc.
That is why, it turns out it is still a tendency, desire alone, alas, is not enough.

Your desire is the basis. Your dream is your goal. Step by step, you can achieve everything you want and dream of. Your patience is the key to achieving your goals and realizing your dreams. Good luck. :)

samersv

samersv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Iron discipline and emotional control are, in my opinion, the most important skills necessary for success in poker.
GL!!!

Noroma

Noroma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience and mental fortitude to deal with variance. Some bad runs last so long you might think you're just a terrible player... it isn't always the case!
This is a very important take on it.
Poker is based a lot on confidence. There is a reason why players on winning streaks tend to win more. When all you correct cbets gets called or reraised, and your correct bluffs gets called a tad too many times in a row, and you lose a few buy ins it often feels as if none of your plays are correct.

This is something that breaks a lot of newer players, since they may have a boosted ego due to a run of good luck, and then once the variance turns, they feel as if they have no real shot at winning in poker.

Once you've been through it a few times, you learn to appreciate the good runs for what it is, and you don't feel too bad when your kings or queens are shoved into better hands.

As you get more experience in this game, you end up developing a different skillset that makes you a lot more profitable than other players in a long run.

Although a simplified version of reality, most poker players after some point plays pretty much in the same way. The only difference is that more experienced players will realise when to get to showdown cheaper with good hands that can be beat, and when not to tilt when faced with bad beats, since what comes around goes around.