Depressions because Poker

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If poker is causing you this much anger or depression, maybe it's time to just end it?

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If poker is causing you this much anger or depression, maybe it's time to just end it?

suicide_2439218f.jpg

That's a little extreme! It's only poker, he could just stop playing

MTCashman

MTCashman

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It happens to the best of us, the game is an emotional roller coaster. With experience comes the ability to handle it better and not let that black cloud follow you around. You will be alright man just take a break and hit the tables when your mind is clear again.

HenriqueMed1

HenriqueMed1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In early career is normal you get mad at the bad beats. Over time you'll see it's common bad beats. Professional poker players take bad beats all the time and they do not complain. Just go ahead and go to the next tournament.

T

TicketMan4u

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think we all get depressed when we lose. Especially when we've spent hours playing right and have built up a nice size stack. Many times I've been in this position only to get ****y or bored and start playing way too loose only to see my big stack go south in just a couple of hands.

No one to blame but myself. Depression turns to anger at myself which makes me vow to play better but usually I don't.

M

mrbigbug

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Emotions are part of the game so just get used to it. If you cant just quit :D

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bad beats are a part of tournaments.

If you want to play tournaments, you have to understand that this game type is not only the most rewarding, but also the most frustrating and high variance game out there. You have to expect to lose and get ko'd out of a lot MTTs before your next big score.

Shaun Deeb is one of the best MTT players in the world, but at one point went on a 52 MTT downswing [IIRC] and only min cashed for $100 in those 52 games before his next big win. And these aren't $1-$2 games he's playing, they're the highest buy-in games pokerstars had to offer at that time. So, even the best players aren't immune to bad beats and long stretches off losses.

Honestly, the only way to get used to it and get over the losing streak is to play more. The more volume you put it, the more you'll see results. Playing MTTs and making a profit from them is a long, hard grind but just 1 win can easily make up for a 20-30+ MTT downswing.

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand your feeling especially when you play some bigger by in tournament,and you play for long time,and than happeens you are out of game becouse some fish get lucky and you had better hand pre flop,how you can feel than when you not deserve it?

almanik

almanik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best desition is to play more tournament. Sometimes you will lose. Sometimes you will win. If you play S-n-G tournaments, you can win many times in a short time. It will help to have good mood!
Good luck!

Z

ZARKOV80

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i think you need to get use to losing

Think about poker like real life, some times you win some times you lose...
but keep your head under wather long inaf and you lose life....

Hey everybody.

I often have the problem that I am depressed if I am out of a tournament. I spent many hours, grow my stack, have a relatively big stack and than I am out because bad beats or something without winning anything. Than I feel angry, depressed, sad and so on. Do you know this too and if yes how do you handle this ? Thanks for answers.
:angel:

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey everybody.

I often have the problem that I am depressed if I am out of a tournament. I spent many hours, grow my stack, have a relatively big stack and than I am out because bad beats or something without winning anything. Than I feel angry, depressed, sad and so on. Do you know this too and if yes how do you handle this ? Thanks for answers.

I want to post here again. Learn from those times when the games turns around on you. Stay away from all ins. Try folding some of those hands that most of the time you would call or raise with. Try to get in to see the flop a cheap as you can, and if you don't hit the flop, get out. Also watch out about hitting small pairs on the flop. If you can get the turn card cheap, then maybe you could see the turn. Something you really need to think about is why are you getting in cheap. Someone is letting you in. Just be careful during those times you are talking about. And let us know how it's going. GL to you

Caracazz

Caracazz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not depression but totally anger

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Caracazz I hope you are not talking for real. My friend, there are ways to handle that. I worked on tilt 3 months when I got active here. It can be put under control.

EuTeAmo

EuTeAmo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad beat

We know that the critical point of a poker player is when he gets angry after leading a Bed Beat.
Good always wondered how could assuage my anger not to harm my whole game! What I sought was reading books, watching videos, it greatly stimulated my mind, get rid of some of the problems both in Poker as in everyday life, this is a basis to help you to control on a bad course after a bads sequence the best solution is to stop for a while, relax, and go back to the grinder later!

Thank you all for the attention :)

arborest

arborest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should definitely play more and more and you will get used to it. Also there will come a time when you hit in TOP3! Just keep playing your best poker and do not make stupid moves.

Lourivaldo

Lourivaldo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stay depressed in poker is unacceptable. You may be angry with the game through a bad phase. Stop playing for a while.

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some people are saying give up.

If you can, try and play at the same time everyday. Even the same tourney if you running ok in it. Know your limit though. Poker is supposed to be enjoyable and relaxing.

Good Luck

W

WaxDabMan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker is not life, and shouldn't be treated as such. There are plenty of thing to do for income that have little to no risk. To venture the seas of a gamblers life is very difficult without a statistically OCD mind, and even then, have to be street smart enough not to get set up.
Base your happiness on other things, or on being able to PLAY poker, if your happiness is staked on winning alone, then maybe you don't love the game itself enough to play for enjoyment, or maybe should play for lower stakes, or maybe even higher stakes on a lesseer frequency if you wish to just play to take a shot. Nothing wrong with playing one or two $x00 buyins if you have a job to support it and can use that as rec. income... its going to be different for everyone depending on their situation and what they look to get out of the game. Be honest with yourself, and figure out what will work best for YOU.

Best Wishes!

SerbiaGrinding

SerbiaGrinding

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey everybody.

I exhibit some anger at bad beats but within 5 mins it's all back to normal. If you're experiencing lasting impressions like that you shouldnt be playing my friend.

M

MAgoalie

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
We all have to remember, the best mtt players cash about 15% of the time. They make their money finishing top 3 about 2% of the time. So, they lose a lot.

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's what I meant by end it.

Bad idea to joke i think(Well a lot of people depresses about poker,but its a part of everybody in poker way.Only the strogest becomes better after every next dipression.Its like a rule,we are all humans)))But it is my own point,somebody can disagree.

skull89

skull89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I feel the same!!
But if you stop to think: you are making the right moves, and you're strategy is good, considering that you said you get bigger and bigger but get out because of bad beats. Maybe this is just a downswing.
Bad beats are really depressing!!

F

fooks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
refers to the loss of the safer,because it's just a game,don't take everything to heart)

CincyTim83

CincyTim83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The key is you cannot let your emotions dictate how you played. You might have played you absolute best and STILL lose. Thats poker... but as long as know that you made the right decisions you cannot beat yourself up. Have to prepared to lose.