Daniel Negreanu

Crash Burn

Crash Burn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Does anyone know why one of the biggest poker players in the world Daniel Negreanu left PokerStars which is still one of the biggest poker sites in the world today to go to GGPoker which is still considered a small site (platform) in the world of poker. :jd4:

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
who cares about DNs business moves and plans

I

Ishnock

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does anyone know why one of the biggest poker players in the world Daniel Negreanu left PokerStars which is still one of the biggest poker sites in the world today to go to GGPoker which is still considered a small site (platform) in the world of poker. :jd4:

easy....big fish in a small pond. low risk/high reward. He could turn them into one of the best sites in the world and get paid for the rest of his life....

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Well, GG poker appears to have serious financial backing - the way it's been guaranteeing tourneys week in and out and attracting large fields would indicate it has already become a serious entity. They also just inked a deal with the wsop to promote an online series.

Though Negreanu recently implied he'd been 'there from the ground up' that's hardly the case. He was brought in to boost the growing platform that had already established. In Negreanu's case I presume he knew he was going to get dropped from pokerstars as they had already been dropping or had various ambassadors 'moving on'.

Through a lot of 2019 it felt like Negreanu was angling for some role or ambassadorship at Poker GO/Poker Central as he kept sucking up (I would have placed money on him'moving' there) but they seem more into content than stars.

So presumably GG comes along with a wad of cash and suddenly Negreanu, who as far as I know had never even mentioned GG before, is pushing them like a banshee. He has his 'reputation' and obviously likes the idea of a role rather than relying strictly on playing for a living.

That said, I find the whole 'Poker Ambassador' thing dubious from a promotional point of view. party poker just mopped some PokerStars rejects such as Kevin Hart...and GG also just signed Elky and Boris Becker, as well as Fedor Holz.

Color me skeptical but I just do not understand how any of these will truly drive traffic. It just seems GG is stuck in a poker cliche of 'we need big names'.

Negreanu is about the only one who makes sense of sorts because he is as much about promoting his own brand as playing poker these days, so he will draw. The others? Beats me.

Crash Burn

Crash Burn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
who cares about DNs business moves and plans

easy....big fish in a small pond. low risk/high reward. He could turn them into one of the best sites in the world and get paid for the rest of his life....

Well, GG poker appears to have serious financial backing - the way it's been guaranteeing tourneys week in and out and attracting large fields would indicate it has already become a serious entity. They also just inked a deal with the WSOP to promote an online series.

Though Negreanu recently implied he'd been 'there from the ground up' that's hardly the case. He was brought in to boost the growing platform that had already established. In Negreanu's case I presume he knew he was going to get dropped from PokerStars as they had already been dropping or had various ambassadors 'moving on'.

Through a lot of 2019 it felt like Negreanu was angling for some role or ambassadorship at Poker GO/Poker Central as he kept sucking up (I would have placed money on him'moving' there) but they seem more into content than stars.

So presumably GG comes along with a wad of cash and suddenly Negreanu, who as far as I know had never even mentioned GG before, is pushing them like a banshee. He has his 'reputation' and obviously likes the idea of a role rather than relying strictly on playing for a living.

That said, I find the whole 'Poker Ambassador' thing dubious from a promotional point of view. Party Poker just mopped some PokerStars rejects such as Kevin Hart...and GG also just signed Elky and Boris Becker, as well as Fedor Holz.

Color me skeptical but I just do not understand how any of these will truly drive traffic. It just seems GG is stuck in a poker cliche of 'we need big names'.

Negreanu is about the only one who makes sense of sorts because he is as much about promoting his own brand as playing poker these days, so he will draw. The others? Beats me.

Hello everyone! First of all, it doesn't matter whether you care or not. He is one of the best poker players in the world and a well-targeted player. The point here is that PS is still the best and biggest poker site in the world and GGPoker is still starting but it could become one of the best or not. But Daniel with all this glamur of being the best or the most targeted nowadays leaving PokerStars to go to another site has its questions if the PS in the long term is not with a broken hull and has been able to sink and lose market.

B

bempassado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that the main point was money, poker platforms need money to have these players for advertising. I believe the other platform offered more $$ advantages than poker stars. There is also the possibility of having more weak players.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, the breaking point was the "more rake is better" episode. Daniel felt that PS should have been grateful for his unconditional support, while PS blamed him for bringing too much attention to the matter, and for the bad publicity associated with it.

In other words Daniel's video, even though apparently supportive, exposed PS's move to the World, and the Doug Polk saga that followed made thousands of players (who otherwise would have been oblivious to the increased rake) now painfully aware of the markup.

D

danydidi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think ,GG made a big investment to advertise there site ,so they paid him more then pokerstars . so simple

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My guess is he likes to help start-ups and maybe he is getting part of the action. Both good reasons.

vajavava

vajavava

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's simple Daniel nevgreanu is famous and GG poker know it if take him the poker site would be a good choose for big part of players who know daniel...and give him more money than pokerstars ...It's like football!!! THEY TAKE A GOOD PLAYER !!

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m sure it boiled down to better sponsorship deal with GG. That’s the main reason pros switch sites.

olewerkrd

olewerkrd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In principle, it doesn’t matter which room Daniel represents, the most important thing is that he still plays and we can watch his brilliant game and take certain tricks))

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
GG poker was launched in 2014 so is already 6 years old- which is not new by any definition. What is new is the promotion to a global audience beginning 2016/7 rather than a specifically Asian one. It is also the head of the world’s biggest poker network.

Which is why I remarked Negreanu repeatedly noting being there from ‘the ground up’ (this week on a podcast again) is little more than Negreanu exaggerating things for his image as per normal. We are all aware of Negreanu’s popularity (I noted so in my reply) but on a personal level I don’t regard him as Saint Daniel of Poker.

I have no real opinion on GG and its future. But, as stated before, it is a presence which is not a question of opinion one way or another. Their GG Masters series is regarded as one of the fastest growing competitions within poker. That said, I just checked and they had overlaid that tourney 14 times out of 16 through April for a total loss of $420,000. They have deep pockets and ambition yes, but that makes me a little uncomfortable as a business model.

PokerStars remains by far the biggest poker entity (not network) and I regard their shedding of ambassadors (including Negreanu) as smart business. Being so well established I do not see how ambassadors were bringing any new business to the site. How would anyone casually stumble across Negreanu, Liv Boeree or Jamie Staples and then decide ‘Well I’ve never played poker before but now I am going to join PokerStars, deposit and start playing!’? Why do sites think this works? It obviously didn’t work with Kevin Hart who is a global celebrity...or Ronaldo...so maybe PokerStars woke up to the fact ‘celebrity’ does not equate to cross over markets.

zinzir makes a valid point also about Negreanu's 'rake' comments and I would add habit of making dubious comments.

The only case to be made is by an entity such as GG who is making a global push and can use an established figure to drive new business. What GG is attempting to do is take established players from the likes of PokerStars or Party Poker and have them sign up with them. In that scenario, certainly for a near term future, such a campaign makes sense.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Daniel Negreanu, like other players, had a contract with PokerStars which he adhered to, now they offered him to be the face of this room on another room, and then maybe he will switch to another one or return to those poker rooms where he was!

C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
caracaski220

I still Negreaunu is one of the better poker players. I am sure he moved because he is getting a deal he couldnt get any more with poker stars. I would love to play big tournaments for free.

Drumsound

Drumsound

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Didn't Negreaunu leave Poker Stars a couple years ago?

Freewka6101129

Freewka6101129

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Professional players have not played in PokerStars for a long time, they have everything too tough, although their rating is high I still don’t like this room since it has become boring

Crash Burn

Crash Burn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, the breaking point was the "more rake is better" episode. Daniel felt that PS should have been grateful for his unconditional support, while PS blamed him for bringing too much attention to the matter, and for the bad publicity associated with it.

In other words Daniel's video, even though apparently supportive, exposed PS's move to the World, and the Doug Polk saga that followed made thousands of players (who otherwise would have been oblivious to the increased rake) now painfully aware of the markup.

i think ,GG made a big investment to advertise there site ,so they paid him more then pokerstars . so simple

Poker players? ..

...and rock stars certainly:D

My guess is he likes to help start-ups and maybe he is getting part of the action. Both good reasons.

It's simple Daniel nevgreanu is famous and GG poker know it if take him the poker site would be a good choose for big part of players who know daniel...and give him more money than pokerstars ...It's like football!!! THEY TAKE A GOOD PLAYER !!

I’m sure it boiled down to better sponsorship deal with GG. That’s the main reason pros switch sites.

In principle, it doesn’t matter which room Daniel represents, the most important thing is that he still plays and we can watch his brilliant game and take certain tricks))

GG poker was launched in 2014 so is already 6 years old- which is not new by any definition. What is new is the promotion to a global audience beginning 2016/7 rather than a specifically Asian one. It is also the head of the world’s biggest poker network.

Which is why I remarked Negreanu repeatedly noting being there from ‘the ground up’ (this week on a podcast again) is little more than Negreanu exaggerating things for his image as per normal. We are all aware of Negreanu’s popularity (I noted so in my reply) but on a personal level I don’t regard him as Saint Daniel of Poker.

I have no real opinion on GG and its future. But, as stated before, it is a presence which is not a question of opinion one way or another. Their GG Masters series is regarded as one of the fastest growing competitions within poker. That said, I just checked and they had overlaid that tourney 14 times out of 16 through April for a total loss of $420,000. They have deep pockets and ambition yes, but that makes me a little uncomfortable as a business model.

PokerStars remains by far the biggest poker entity (not network) and I regard their shedding of ambassadors (including Negreanu) as smart business. Being so well established I do not see how ambassadors were bringing any new business to the site. How would anyone casually stumble across Negreanu, Liv Boeree or Jamie Staples and then decide ‘Well I’ve never played poker before but now I am going to join PokerStars, deposit and start playing!’? Why do sites think this works? It obviously didn’t work with Kevin Hart who is a global celebrity...or Ronaldo...so maybe PokerStars woke up to the fact ‘celebrity’ does not equate to cross over markets.

zinzir makes a valid point also about Negreanu's 'rake' comments and I would add habit of making dubious comments.

The only case to be made is by an entity such as GG who is making a global push and can use an established figure to drive new business. What GG is attempting to do is take established players from the likes of PokerStars or Party Poker and have them sign up with them. In that scenario, certainly for a near term future, such a campaign makes sense.

Daniel Negreanu, like other players, had a contract with PokerStars which he adhered to, now they offered him to be the face of this room on another room, and then maybe he will switch to another one or return to those poker rooms where he was!

I still Negreaunu is one of the better poker players. I am sure he moved because he is getting a deal he couldnt get any more with poker stars. I would love to play big tournaments for free.

Didn't Negreaunu leave Poker Stars a couple years ago?

Professional players have not played in PokerStars for a long time, they have everything too tough, although their rating is high I still don’t like this room since it has become boring

There are many professional players who still play at PokerStars. I will name a few for you. Lex Veldhuis - Akkari - Celina Lin - Ramon Colillas - Kalidou Sow - Benjamin Spragg - Chris Moneymaker - Eva Reberc - Felix Schneiders - Fintan Hand - Georgina James and many others. And the departure of Negreanu leads me to believe that the PS lost strength even though it is still the largest poker site in the world. Even though he left a few years ago.

M

MilkLegs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
GG is going to be neck and neck with Stars by the end of the year. They're already beating party and more pros are being sponsored.

Deedgee

Deedgee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As Daniel Negreanu has transcended the status of being a poker player and become a brand onto himself, I wonder how much actual physical poker that he plays anymore, given all of his business and promotional interests. Given his stature, I wonder if he's entirely sponsored when he plays in tournaments and cash games. I wonder if some tournaments pay him to simply play at their tournament.

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

There are many professional players who still play at PokerStars. I will name a few for you. Lex Veldhuis - Akkari - Celina Lin - Ramon Colillas - Kalidou Sow - Benjamin Spragg - Chris Moneymaker - Eva Reberc - Felix Schneiders - Fintan Hand - Georgina James and many others. And the departure of Negreanu leads me to believe that the PS lost strength even though it is still the largest poker site in the world. Even though he left a few years ago.

You 've just copied the names of team pokerstars pro. :D Yes they are great players but don't have any clue at the very big tournaments like 25000$ buy-in and so on.

In my opinion good reputation is so important in companies like this. Daniel is the guy whos presence can be a challange for others, but not he is the only one who controlls poker life, as you probably wanted to mention.

So his loss easily can be acceptable for PS, but may light you up to try GG but mostly likely you still remaining a PS player if you were.

P

Perihelion

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I read that GG has massive presence and financial backing in Asia and has the means to make things as big as they want. I watched a stream with him where he played a tourney and although they ban HUDs they have their own version all can use and they even have their own Daniel Negreanu emojis so they are clearly making him the big cheese of the site. It worked for me though as I was interested in clicking the link simply because he was on it, I had never heard of GG being away from poker for a decade.

I was going to choose GG poker as my new site but only changed my mind when I read (possibly on here) that the software does not flash yellow on the start bar and come to the front when it is your turn which is a no go as I often read the net while playing.

julio gonzalez

julio gonzalez

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
d negreanu

hello negreanu is a good poker player although for my taste he talks a lot at the table. and he went from pokestars to a new poker site where they give him a lot of money, I think the site is called GG poker