Berandir

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Poker and the sandwich!

Did you know that poker is responsible for the invention of the sandwich? Yes, the English lord John Montagu (1718-1792), known as Earl of Sandwich (Fourth Earl of Sandwich), was fanatical about a primitive version of the sport called ‘póque’. His dedication was so great that he spent nights playing, with no time to stop or even eat. During a game, he asked his servant to prepare something practical that he could eat while playing, using only one hand.

The servant had the idea of placing a piece of meat between two slices of bread and taking it to the nobleman. He liked it so much that the delicacy started to be appreciated also by his letter partners - they asked “I want one like Sandwich”.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting history there. Nice to see people from that time frame hooked on the game.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
gambling is definitely not something new and so is not the addiction. It is good that poker sites have mandatory break of 5 minutes every 1 hour so that we can eat something. :D

rodo 2285

rodo 2285

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that does not stop being a game of chance, connecting probabilities, giving percentages of success in each hand, putting a quota of luck in connecting the winning card, is one of the most fun games I have played

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the food itself exist for a longer time.
But the name origin from thar story.

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Hello, I knew the story that the Lord was playing cards for a long time but I didn't know it was due to poker. I should be playing the money of the reign hahaha

Last edited by a moderator: