Controlling Your Emotions

C

chuckycheese

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does anyone besides me, have trouble controlling their emotions after having a bad beat. It really sucks, when I go on tilt. Play for 4or5 hours and blow your chips on a stupid call.

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All the players go through that bad experience and it will continue to happen and the most advisable thing to be able to control your emotions is that you stop playing at that moment and take a break, because yes
You keep playing you will make mistakes that will lead you to keep losing because you will play inclined on tilt.

You must accept that poker is a game where there is variance and sometimes we have it against it, just worry if you played the hand correctly and you will be a winner in the medium or long term, this is poker.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Does anyone besides me, have trouble controlling their emotions after having a bad beat. It really sucks, when I go on tilt. Play for 4or5 hours and blow your chips on a stupid call.
Believe that such situations are faced by any player who plays more or less regularly and repeatedly during the game session! We are real people, not robots! And sometimes it's a pity!

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I take it as something normal, nowadays situations like this do not get me out of control, slightly frustrated when several badbeats come together in a few minutes but I remain focused, I always have in mind the work that it has cost me to be playing such a tournament or the bench that I have and with that is enough to stay focused and not commit crazy things despite how frustrating poker can be at times:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

Johnny78B

Johnny78B

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
No, you are not alone. It's very hard for everyone to control their emotions after bad beats, especially as you said spending hours on the game and ending after stupid calls. If this happens once at the game I could control more or less, but more than once it just kills me.

S

speeditall

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would like to add some suffixes to this topic by saying that a bad beat is 10x worse if you are certain that your bluff will pass if you are not playing in a freeroll but that is poker enjoy it

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. As folks have said, this happens and will happen again. It's hard to take a good hand losing to a 63 offsuit, for example. That, unfortunately is part of the game. One thing to remember is that when a person goes all in or makes a huge bet, , that person most times has an awesome hand. There are some who fall for that. Personally, I found that unless I am sure I have the nuts, I will not fall for that. There are players that think that all in is the only way to win, but, in my opinion, that is not a way to success. Good luck and never give up.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Its all good. It is just your journey on the way to becoming a great poker player. All the best have been there and done that. So take it as a lesson and DON'T do it again. LOL! But you will. POKER!

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tilt after a bad beat happens. We must develop short term memory because it’s gonna happen and if you allow it to, it will most certainly negatively impact your game. I see players lose in a horrible bad beat situation often punt their remaining stack (sometimes it’s a decent chip size ) within 1-3 hands , they are gone. If you cannot control emotions than i recommend sitting out a few minutes. A quick break to regroup can be helpful. No need making a bad situation worse by giving your remaining stack away.

J

Johnasplay

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Emotions are good. They are the ones that make me feel alive

The difference between us, the people and the computers or machines it's just this; EMOTIONS
I think that the emotions are the one who create champions. Poker is a game of emotions. I always take a short break after really bad calls, just to remind me that the emotions make me feel alive . Just enjoy the emotions and they will start fighting in your favour.

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would prefer answering that yes I manage to control my emotions when I get sucked with AA by a villain calling my raise with J4os... but this would not be true.
Sometimes the bad beat hurts with huge violence: for example when you are playing for 3 or 4 hours in a MTT you had to pay a buy-in for. And the bad beat happens when you are medium stacked, close to the bubble, ruining your tournament.
It's tough... :(
Obviously it is easier to control the emotions when the bad beat occurs at the beginning of a tournament... or when you are a very big stack cracked by a short stack.
Well I know we have to say "That's poker" but it's not the thing I prefer in this game :rolleyes:

Bnobob

Bnobob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Certain that with the time of the game, the, patience increases and the moments called (TiTLE) are left behind. If you do not have so much playing time, you can try not to make a wrong move, which is the main cause of these calls (TiTLE)

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This does not happen only in professional players.Many years of experience in the game helps us to control our emotions.And the main thing to remember is that this is a game.It can be more insidious than it seems.And we have to learn and learn again.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It seems to me that very few people can manage anger...

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I've been playing so long, now, that when I get beat with hands that shouldn't beat me, I take it as all part of the game.

I've come to realise, and appreciate, that it works both ways. You only remember the ones you lose.

zsoltyx2

zsoltyx2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sometimes everyone has.if I came out of the tournament so ugly. It's as if I can't play normally in another tournament either

sometimes it happens too often to get bad beat on 888. but i like the 888 platforme.what do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Bad beats is an integral part of the game. If you react emotionally to such things, then you are only reducing your chances of winning. You need to try to just make the right decisions, and not pay attention to temporary difficulties or failures.

Kinginthenorth

Kinginthenorth

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tilt

I can control it more online than I can when playing live, I'll turn chat off and find something else to focus on until my blood stops boiling, which is much easier sitting in my home than it is sitting across the table from, and having to look at and hear, the Donkey responsible. Playing Live it takes everything I have to control the urge to go full apeshit, with çomplete disregard for how many witnesses there will be available during my Trial. 😁

S

Szachajevy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't control my emotions so badly that I lost lots of money after a bad beat, trying to "recover". After very bad beat for me is very important to close poker room and go away for at least 15min

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
As the games are played and experience is gathering, controlling the emotions is more easy. Succeding not to get out of course is critical for this game!

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
In my opinion, poker and emotions do not go well together. Emotions force us to make hasty decisions. I follow the system of bankroll management and play only for the money I can afford to spend, so in fact I never get nervous, but on the contrary I get only positive emotions.
Good luck.

skalibur

skalibur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
always happens to me

I think everyone goes through this. I go through this almost every day. After a bad beat, it is difficult to control and play rationally.

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, of course, I also go on tilt or make simple mistakes, mostly due to fatigue after about 4 hours of playing poker.

F

funfellow888

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all in

all in after losing a hefty hand isnt a good way to play.keep a good head on your shoulders and push through.

messats

messats

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LC
Chips

this is one of the hardest traits a person can get rid off, but the most important one to wok on.
tilting is one way to go broke fast