Contract of a professional

jasonshowman

jasonshowman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How does a player contract with pokerstars work? Is a salary paid or does the player depend on some goals in order to receive money?

cris1964

cris1964

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As every contract has a scope not necessarily disclosed in its entirety and it is not a topic for guesses :)

jasonshowman

jasonshowman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As every contract has a scope not necessarily disclosed in its entirety and it is not a topic for guesses :)
Thank you for your lack of education. I did not try to guess and I do not want to make anyone who reads this post do that. I just asked out of curiosity !!

cris1964

cris1964

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for your lack of education. I did not try to guess and I do not want to make anyone who reads this post do that. I just asked out of curiosity !!

The question was meaningless even out of curiosity :)

T

Tommyc9494

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I doubt very much that this is true but iv heard of somebody apparently getting sponsored by party poker to play he gets $200 dollars a day that he has to play with and any winnings he makes he gets to keep it sounds to good to me though

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think this question is that absurd, the information is out there and this is from PokerKing.com So take from it what you want. It's probably not spot on but I'm sure pretty close to what you were looking for. This is from an interview so the answers are coming from the players.

"The amount of money that Pokerstars pays to its sponsored players varies wildly depending on the stature of the professional and the type of deal that has been signed. Daniel Negreanu, who is the face of Pokerstars, will obviously make much more from his deal than somebody else.

In addition, a "Team Pokerstars Pro" deal will look quite a bit different than a Pokerstars Brand Ambassador deal. Neymar Jr., for instance, is going to require mostly money from his deal, while a professional poker player will get different perks, such as 100% rakeback and tournament buy-ins.

In terms of total $, the top three sponsorship deals at Pokerstars almost certainly belong to Daniel Negreanu, Rafael Nadal and Neymar, Jr. Given the size of the Pokerstars business, all three men are almost certainly making millions of dollars per year from their deals (if they aren't, they need to get better managers).

The Neymar, Jr. and Rafael Nadal contracts are going to be very top-heavy in cash. In addition, they will get the small benefit (to them, anyways) of being entered into the European Poker Tour and online tournament events that they will be contractually obligated to play.

Daniel Negreanu's contract, though, likely looks quite a bit different.

In addition to a strong cash component (that is almost certainly in excess of seven figures per year), Negreanu almost certainly also receives:

-a large annual budget for tournament buy-ins (both online and live events)
-travel expenses
-appearance fees
-bonuses for winning major tournaments, making final tables and appearing on TV
-100% rakeback

All told, I would be surprised if Negreanu's total annual contract value was anything less than $3 million/year. After all, he is arguably the biggest name in poker and is the face of the world's leading online poker site.

As we scroll down the list of Pokerstars' sponsored pros, we see players that likely receive a mix of cash and other perks (Bertrand Grospellier, Vanessa Selbst, etc) and those who likely receive a smaller package of perks (100% cashback, buy-ins to major tournaments such as the WCOOP main event, etc). I would guess the total sponsorship deal value for a player like Grospellier to be in the $500k/year range, with a mix of salary, tournament buy-ins and travel expenses. In addition, a player like Grospellier will almost certainly receive bonuses if he makes a major tournament final table or takes down an event.

A number of the sponsored players on the Pokerstars roster will receive a deal that consists of 100% rakeback and perhaps some major online tournament buy-ins. Joseph Cada, for instance, parted ways with Pokerstars after they refused to give him the 100% rakeback that he had been receiving in the past (at least, according to Cada himself).

In short, the 80/20 rule likely applies to Pokerstars' stable of sponsored professionals - the top level professional players and athletes (Negreanu, Neymar, Jr., etc) likely receive the bulk of the dollars that are allocated to sponsored players."

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that if a poker professional plays only for himself, then this is only his winnings and no obligations, but if he signs a contract with some poker club, then he will do everything according to the rules of the contract!

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
friends, we will respect the members of the CC, if you did not like the post of the person, just do not respond and do not need to miss anything with anyone.