Are chips leaders just gamblers?

YYfourU

YYfourU

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Find myself asking about all the times I have been chips leader in tournaments and ponder if gambling is the only reason I am getting there. Most fold hands like Q/10 or J/Q to raises. In my eyes all Broadway cards are needed to make Broadway. If there suited then we are talking about royal flush’s. Find being a luck box on the flop helps but do find just making top pair with J/10 and putting opponents on hands like A/K A/Q turns out in my favour a lot...and I get garbage cans thrown at me and fish’s tossed my way, but hey, it gets me to the top. After I am there then it’s a whole new game. But are we just ones who gamble more and take risks early on in tournaments?

pit85

pit85

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you are chip leader you have more power and if you lose you are still on game,that is mean you control other players.

P86

P86

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Chips advantage is very important specially in late MTT as you can put more pressure on your opponents with a wider range and even facing allins against 10 or less bb won't put your tournament life in danger specially against tight players when you know you jave 2 live cards at least... But running good helps too...

V

viacheslavtezikov

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Chip leadership makes you feel very confident and puts pressure on other players.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Chip leaders make aggression work for them. Play wide range in position and capitalize on weak opponents who play passively. Unfortunately, I am yet to master this skill and make things work for me.

filippfilm

filippfilm

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Find myself asking about all the times I have been chips leader in tournaments and ponder if gambling is the only reason I am getting there. Most fold hands like Q/10 or J/Q to raises. In my eyes all Broadway cards are needed to make Broadway. If there suited then we are talking about royal flush’s. Find being a luck box on the flop helps but do find just making top pair with J/10 and putting opponents on hands like A/K A/Q turns out in my favour a lot...and I get garbage cans thrown at me and fish’s tossed my way, but hey, it gets me to the top. After I am there then it’s a whole new game. But are we just ones who gamble more and take risks early on in tournaments?

Everyone has different styles of play. Someone, for example, starts tight and then in the middle stage turns on aggression and then you have to play very tightly with this type of silent man. This poker is a lot of styles, you need to take it calmly and just observe what style of play your opponent has .. To be a chip leader in a tournament at an early stage is not yet a victory in the tournament, it is much more important to double when you are in the bubble with 15-20bb:jd4::):jd4:

ChubbySin

ChubbySin

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good question!

Sometimes I think so, sometimes don´t! But one thing I have to admit they know how to play aggressively

YenRodriguez

YenRodriguez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Being a chip leader you have a lot going for it, you will dominate players with less stack and in case of losing you will still have a considerable stack.
On the other hand, to be a chip leader you need to know what you are doing

elJenio8

elJenio8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All poker players are gamblers.

Chip leaders in early stages could be people that like to have flips, but in late stages could be someone who can play poker or just have luck.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually it is the more aggressive players, but not always. I prefer to play tighter in early levels, because there is a saying that I believe in... "You can't win the tournament in Level One, but you can certainly lose it", if you get knocked out. So I prefer to avoid getting all-in during the early levels.

However, others (including many "good" players) will claim my approach is sub-optimal, and that during the early levels our focus should be on accumulating a big chip stack, even if it means we take the risk of getting knocked out of the tournament.

Years ago, tournaments were mostly "freeze-outs", which is a term that means you only get to enter the tournament one time, and if you lose all your chips, that's it for you, no more attempts. However, in today's modern era, most sites DO allow re-entries, and usually it is UNLIMITED re-entry. This changes strategy quite a bit - not for a tight and cautious player like myself, but for the aggressive gambling type of player. These players are now free to "go for it", take big risks and apply big pressure to players like myself during the early levels by shoving all in with massive overbetting (remember, the pots are smaller when the blinds aren't very big yet so getting all-in during the first few levels can be more difficult to accomplish). If this doesn't win these players a big pot, it certainly does allow them to keep accumulating lots of smaller pots, which still gives them a big chip stack over time. And of course, they are doing it with zero risk, because if they make an error and get knocked out, they just re-enter and keep right on going.

But even tighter players like myself sometimes end up in the top ten spots on the leaderboard in Level One or Two. But that's just the luck of the draw, usually by catching a nice cooler such as set-over-set against someone, or when my flopped set catches a full house on the river when someone else caught the nut flush... for me, it's just luck when it happens, but it does happen sometimes.

So for tight players, a big stack early just means I've gotten a bit lucky. For loose aggressive players, a big stack early just means they are playing their game and doing what they do. LAG players will have a big stack early much more often than a TAG player will, but in the end, it really doesn't matter and is meaningless. I often keep an eye on the leaderboard as the hours pass by in the tournaments I play, and the pattern I always notice is that the players who have big stacks early on, they usually don't make it all the way to the end of the tournament. That's because their aggressive play will usually backfire on them at some point, all it takes is one big mistake in one pot, and their stack is gone, and so are they. :D I don't think having a big stack early on really matters very much - most of our chips when we go deep in a tournament comes from the later levels, not from the early ones. So don't worry about players always having big stacks early on - sure, it looks "sexy" when you see the same names always up there at the top, but it really doesn't give them a massive advantage, just a small one. My opinions obv.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Poker is not just played with AKQ cards and when you have more chips you can afford a wider range of cards where the results come from.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually it is the more aggressive players, but not always. I prefer to play tighter in early levels, because there is a saying that I believe in... "You can't win the tournament in Level One, but you can certainly lose it", if you get knocked out. So I prefer to avoid getting all-in during the early levels.

However, others (including many "good" players) will claim my approach is sub-optimal, and that during the early levels our focus should be on accumulating a big chip stack, even if it means we take the risk of getting knocked out of the tournament.

Years ago, tournaments were mostly "freeze-outs", which is a term that means you only get to enter the tournament one time, and if you lose all your chips, that's it for you, no more attempts. However, in today's modern era, most sites DO allow re-entries, and usually it is UNLIMITED re-entry. This changes strategy quite a bit - not for a tight and cautious player like myself, but for the aggressive gambling type of player. These players are now free to "go for it", take big risks and apply big pressure to players like myself during the early levels by shoving all in with massive overbetting (remember, the pots are smaller when the blinds aren't very big yet so getting all-in during the first few levels can be more difficult to accomplish). If this doesn't win these players a big pot, it certainly does allow them to keep accumulating lots of smaller pots, which still gives them a big chip stack over time. And of course, they are doing it with zero risk, because if they make an error and get knocked out, they just re-enter and keep right on going.

But even tighter players like myself sometimes end up in the top ten spots on the leaderboard in Level One or Two. But that's just the luck of the draw, usually by catching a nice cooler such as set-over-set against someone, or when my flopped set catches a full house on the river when someone else caught the nut flush... for me, it's just luck when it happens, but it does happen sometimes.

So for tight players, a big stack early just means I've gotten a bit lucky. For loose aggressive players, a big stack early just means they are playing their game and doing what they do. LAG players will have a big stack early much more often than a TAG player will, but in the end, it really doesn't matter and is meaningless. I often keep an eye on the leaderboard as the hours pass by in the tournaments I play, and the pattern I always notice is that the players who have big stacks early on, they usually don't make it all the way to the end of the tournament. That's because their aggressive play will usually backfire on them at some point, all it takes is one big mistake in one pot, and their stack is gone, and so are they. :D I don't think having a big stack early on really matters very much - most of our chips when we go deep in a tournament comes from the later levels, not from the early ones. So don't worry about players always having big stacks early on - sure, it looks "sexy" when you see the same names always up there at the top, but it really doesn't give them a massive advantage, just a small one. My opinions obv.

I very much agree with your perspective.

There is more than one way to build a stack. Just as there are multiple paths to the final table. We have to take advantage of the opportunities given us. If we are fortunate enough to obtain a bigger stack than the rest of the table, then we have to play the game using the advantage that having chips provides (speculation, applying pressure, etc). When we hit our bad cards, we give the appearance of playing the luck game, but we are simply playing the game as it is coming to us. Chips are powerful.

Good Luck and God Bless.

BlackIce

BlackIce

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is not just played with AKQ cards and when you have more chips you can afford a wider range of cards where the results come from.

I hear ya , but it grinds my gears to find a 35 off suit winning the pot in an expensive pot, especially with a high preflop raise.

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
It's always nice when you're in a tournament and then become chip leader. But how much you benefit from being the chip leader also depends on how far you are in a tournament. how deeper you are in the tournament how more weight it gets. Still, you shouldn't just rely on your chips, but you also have to pay attention to everything. how do the people play at the table and which cards etc. If you are the chip leader you have not yet won the tournament you have a good chance of doing so, but you have not yet won. And if you play too risky then it can happen that you are soon no longer a chip leader but someone else is

M

Mike912

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My personal opinion of this topic, I would say it’s more about poker strategy rather than a gamble. Assuming you’re talking about playing the hand throughout the flop. Good players do this to keep their hands disguised and to be less predictable. Using these hands responsibly can win really big pots.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
most of the time yes, but due to their game they do not resist in the tournament :)

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Being the chipleader means you are a very strong player,,,players have different styles that lead to diff results,,, :deal:

M

Medina

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My strength is not the early stages of tournaments, it is very rare to have a large stack in the early stages.
An interesting approach, all beginners are taught to only play top cards at the beginning of the tournamnet.
According to these really good players take advantage of just that :)
I will definitely give it a try, it could be the solution to the early stage problem :D

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
With a large stack it becomes easier to play, but only when you know how to manage it and what to do with it! Many inexperienced players, having received a large stack, lose it very quickly, since they do not know how to play with it! It all depends on the experience of the player; in experienced hands, a large stack is a lethal weapon! Good luck to everyone at the tables!

Y

yago541

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the best game is to wait longer, I'm not aggressive at the beginning because I don't want to lose soon, I think it's bad to have re-entries in tournaments.

P

PPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hear ya , but it grinds my gears to find a 35 off suit winning the pot in an expensive pot, especially with a high preflop raise.
It depends though upon chip position. Early game I sometimes play with 35 etc because nobody expects it. So if the flop comes down 24K then all anybody sees most of the time is the K and they discount the 24 that has left me looking for an open-ended straight.

Especially then if the A comes then the villain thinks they've beaten the K but really its condemned them.

You can win more chips sometimes with the least expected hands than you can get with those that are supposed to win.

Also a "large raise" early game rarely is such a thing. If we're playing with 5000 chips and a 30 BB then even a rise to 120 isn't a big proportion of 5000.

Playing these hands all the time is silly, but once in a while can catch people off-guard. The worst thing you can be in Poker is predictable afterall.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
To answer the question, no. There are many different types of players who can be chip leaders. Yes there are many time a early chip leader is gambling but not always the case. There is also different type of chip leaders. There are players who get chips and keep or start to gamble more. They are the ones who can get super big stacks quickly or go broke. Other get chips and tighten up and slowly go down unless they get a hand. Then there are the sharks who will use there chips wisely to take chips from others when they can but don't play recklessly. These players you will see stay in or around the top ten a lot of the night.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
gambling is part of the game
but to be a early chip leader requires more luck than being late chip leader
If you are scared to attack
when you have an edge or when you make a read
or dont want to gamble
you are most likely not gonna be chipleader
most likely ending up as the bubble

If aggression and stealing pots is considered gambling
Then YES
it requires you to gamble to be a chipleader

91f5c4c71dd1a1b6e43bde28e0c82887.png
fe56d1f54dd16a760c73a4012d00ee3e.png

bcd921f2a7bcf68190db79594d084308.png
029c3e7565afc1f7d95d7ee88c15a632.png

Last edited:
AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
im not a chip leader

I'm The Chipleader

and personally aggression is not considered gambling
playing poker is considered gambling

7fd824e058a61b699d064eaa92ecf75b.png
553cd049572a1341e3dffadab4a250a0.png

N

nutself

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
im not a chip leader

I'm The Chipleader

and personally aggression is not considered gambling
playing poker is considered gambling

Are you being chipleader very often? There must be some very good play in order to achieve that.

Related Gambling Guides: AU Gambling - CA Gambling - UK Gambling - NZ Gambling - Online Gambling Poker Chips - History of Chips