CC'ers in the WSOP Event #54! (Updates)

W

WhodeyX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Roundcat (she qualified by placing in the top 3 of the 2nd invade vegas event) probably has her own update of sorts but I wanted to pass on how I fared today in the event. I'll definitely go into more details tomorrow with some hand examples and what not but I'm exhausted after 12 hours of poker at the Rio.

I decided last month that I really wanted to play a wsop event when I came out to Vegas. I was hoping to qualify via the 2 Live OFC events but when that failed to come to fruition, I made the $1k buy-in myself (a bit of a stretch but looking back it was worth it for the experience).

The structure of the tournament is pretty brutal. You start off with 3,000 chips and the blinds went 25/25, 25/50, 50/100, 75/150, 100/200, 100/200 (25 antes), etc. Each level is an hour but with a smaller starting stack like that and antes after only 5 levels, things heated up real quick. In addition, the Rio in and of itself is a very intimidating place. Walking into a room with 300+ poker tables is crazy, it was like an industrial warehouse of poker. Besides the setting, the player field was stacked as well. Over the course of the day, I had David Sklansky/Anthony Saout one table away from me (thank god I wasn't at that table). Directly to my right, I had some really solid online player next to me whose name isn't coming to mind (his ftp name is csimmsux) but after doing some research he won 2 FTOPS events, including the main event in 2009 so he is well over 1 million in online cashes alone. He was incredibly aggressive and played real well, so it was brutal having him coming after my blinds every single round.

The field started with about ~2400, with today being day 1a. Tomorrow is day 1b and 2400+ will register then as well bringing the field right around 5000. Over the course of the day I was all over the map. I went from 3k to 6k immediately, then got brought back down to 3k when my 2 pair ran into a flush on the river (a repeating theme from my day). I managed to climb back to 8k before being moved to another table (the one with the FTOPS guy) where I got up to 10k pretty quick. For the following 2 hours, I couldn't get anything going on and dropped to 5.5k at the dinner break (6 levels and about 7 hours in so this was about 7:00PM PST). Once I got back to the table, everything was going my way. After a few pushes, I managed to climb to 9.5k without seeing any post-flop action. My last notable hand of the day was easily my biggest. I got JJ in the cutoff position and after a bunch of folds, a guy a few spots to the right of me raised and I came over the top (which I had done 3 or 4 times to this guy so I thought I was after him a bit). The flop came 4h 8c Jc and the guy to my right immediately pushes his 10k stack. This was an easy call and while his Qc 10c made me sweat a little, an 8 on the turn gave me the hand and a 20k pot.

From there, I went downhill and couldn't get much going and ended the day at about 10.5k. I'd say the average chip stack has to be near 20k but this stack is enough to work with for the first few levels of Saturday.

Now is the waiting period. I managed to make it to the final 350 of the 2400 day 1 entrants. If tomorrow goes the same way (which it should), Saturday will have 700 players with right around 500 spots getting paid. If this occurs, I only have to make it through the first 3 or 4 hours before I get in the cash area.

Roundcat, I hope you did some work today or if you are playing tomorrow, GL. Wish me luck guys and I hope I can bring it home for CC on Saturday. I will be sure to wear the CardsChat shirt I was just given (under my bengals jersey of course, it worked today and I'm superstitious so I can't jinx it). I'll go through some of the other hands tomorrow, I wouldn't mind hearing some of your thoughts to see what you think of how I played them, I'm trying to plug up any holes in my game.

WhodeyX

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Congrats on making it to day 2, good luck.

Good luck also to roundcat I hope you both do well.

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good job Whoodey, looks like you can more than deal with the standar of play here looking forward to TR two.

T

tcummo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
gl m8
'poker warehouse' sounds like a great place
i will keep grinding away
in full tilts 'poker whorehouse'
mabye one day
best of luck to you

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
im feeling intimidated by it and i only read about it :eek: :D

great job getting through the day and gl on day 2 :top:

bazerk

bazerk

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
GL & hopefully the Event is profitable for you!

LombardiStix

LombardiStix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the full descript. Sounds like a roller coaster of a time. Next year!

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Congrats on making it to day 2. The CC shirt will hopefully bring you some more luck than the Bengals(yuck) jersey ;) and you'll be able to take it down.

roundcat

roundcat

Creature of leisure
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice work Whodey! Keep it going. I ended up having to sell my seat because I had another obligation out of town today, so you're the one I'll be rooting for to take this one down!

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good job Whodey! We might come by and rail you a bit later - what time does it start today?

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Whodey! Yes, yes, YES!!!! Sending you mega winning vibes from Cincy, where the river is our friend ;).

Thanks so much for the detailed report...sounds like you are in a really good goove, especially when it comes to dealing with those inevitable tourney swings. Keep up the great work--I know you can go really far in this one!

H

HomeBrewer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good luck man! I tried to Q for one of the 1k events this past weekend with no luck. I also saw small starting stacks and quick blind increases... But I am glad to hear you navigating through the playing field successfully. TID! :icon_salu

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Nice job, Whodey! I'm going to send you a PM here in a little bit.. I'm going to keep an eye on you in the pokernews updates... hope you take it down!

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Had a nice crew lined up to rail you Will - til you told me you are not playing today lol.

W

WhodeyX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys,

I got a few PM's asking for info so you could follow my chip count. If you go here:

http://www.wsop.com/tournaments/chipcounts.asp?tid=10875&grid=764&dayof=1462&curpage=2

I'm in 272nd place currently out of 331. My name is William Cordes so feel free to follow my progress as the site updates it on Saturday.

That means I'm going to have to make some moves tomorrow to comfortably make it in the money. The good thing is that 200th and beyond are only at about 15k, which I could easily reach in one small to average pot.

Thanks,
WhodeyX

silverfox432

silverfox432

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good luck tomorrow

Can you check that link.... won't load for me

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is an extra http:// that you need to take off the front of the link, here: http//www.wsop.com/tournaments/chipcounts.asp?tid=10875&grid=764&dayof=1462&curpage=2

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here is a good link.

GL and take it down man! Can't wait for an update.

tpb221

tpb221

Chasing Gutshots
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Best of luck will!!!! Take it down!!!

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys,

I got a few PM's asking for info so you could follow my chip count. If you go here:

http://www.wsop.com/tournaments/chipcounts.asp?tid=10875&grid=764&dayof=1462&curpage=2

I'm in 272nd place currently out of 331. My name is William Cordes so feel free to follow my progress as the site updates it on Saturday.

That means I'm going to have to make some moves tomorrow to comfortably make it in the money. The good thing is that 200th and beyond are only at about 15k, which I could easily reach in one small to average pot.

Thanks,
WhodeyX
Go Will!! Rock dat sucka!

G

gns2003

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very good luck sir! Awesome so far. Hope you do real well and show 'em what you got!
:icon_salu

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
gggggoooooodddddd luck to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wish I was still there to rail you!

WSOP