MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I do not use.
I do not even quite understand what it is.
I prefer to use my own skills and experience, I think it is more reliable. :)

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
I do not use.

Same here. Who needs whatever helping tool anyway lol.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Don't be smart! Also say that poker books are unnecessary, there is nowhere to put your skill. The person is not at all on the forum, but already so advanced. Maybe he will tell us something about the miracle card. :D

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never used one. I just don't understand why it is needed and have found it of no use to me. I know that some people use it for luck though.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not use.

I don't think you know what a card guard/protector is. :)

It is something you place on your cards to protect them when playing live poker. I always use one.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I have three card protectors, and my favorite one has a Gold backing, with Pocket Rockets in enamel on the face. Once in a live tourney an Opponent told me he found my tell, and every time I was going to fold I would have the guard Gold side up on my cards, and every time I had a decent hand I would have the A/A showing.
I had never even thought about this as I usually just cover my cards with the guard until it is my turn to act, sides didn't play any part whatsoever, So for a bit of fun I started to use the A/A face up more often, and sure enough he would fold even before it was my turn to act, because he thought I was going to get involved.
Guards in an on-line game don't exist as there is no need for them, but in a live event I find them invaluable as I have seen players hands folded and snatched up by the dealer even before the player has had a chance to look at them.
Some players do not like to even touch their cards until it is their turn to act, but if they are over the line on a table the dealer automatically believes they have been folded and will muck them, I will always draw the cards back over the line and cover them with a chip or Guard until it is my turn to act, and when it is my turn, then and only then will I look at my hand. before that I am watching the other players to try and see what reaction they have to what they have been dealt.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

nabmom

nabmom

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
d53be9d6966b80aeedace42e3526608a.jpg

This is my favorite!!

I always use it when playing live.

DizzyDeb717

DizzyDeb717

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'm glad you popped in here. I had no idea either lol I don't think I've even seen anyone use one.. Definitely going to look into getting one for whenever we get out of lockdown over here, and can play some live poker again. *dreams*
thanks!

It is something you place on your cards to protect them when playing live poker. I always use one.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I normally dont use card protection but use my chips to protect my cards. Why? If the dealer makes a mistake and crabs your card your out of luck in the hand. If some mucks there cards onto your your folded and out of luck. If you have you hand on your cards or use a card protector of something to protect your hand on your cards you could be folded out of a hand you might not want to fold.

If you play live I highly recommend protecting your hand. This is something I learned the hard way.

R

RDHartsoe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do use a card protector when I play live. I one time had the dealer actually muck my hand before I had a chance to even look at them. It was a mess. I learned my lesson.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have thought about having a custom made one with a design my friend would make who is a tattoo artist, I would ideally want it engraved with a nice finish, which I am sure Is quite costly.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have never used any auxiliary programs in the game. I think this is superfluous. Over the years, you already develop a sense of the right move.

M

moularaki

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
i've learned something today
i know that players use them but didn't know they call it card protector

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I have never used one. I just don't understand why it is needed and have found it of no use to me. I know that some people use it for luck though.

It is used to prevent the dealer from accidentally discarding your cards.
I have 2 sent by poker rooms FTP and pokerstars. In the form of large coins with poker logos.
Probably i have them for about 10 years. As good as new, because i have never used them for their intended purpose :D

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have a lil jade FROG that I place on my cards for luck and protection. It work's most of the time butt its where skillzs rule

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use a card protector...once, the dealer mucked my cards when I was sitting in the #1 seat before I could look at them...can't argue or fight it, so I started using an unpolished piece of Jade as a card protector. On one trip to Vegas, my wife bought me a card protector in the retail shop at the Wynn. Now I use the Cardschat card protector I received when I played in the 2019 wsop Colossus event with the Cardschat team.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Now I use the Cardschat card protector I received when I played in the 2019 WSOP Colossus event with the Cardschat team.
It would be interesting to read about this tournament and how the Cardschat team performed in it.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's almost foolish to not use one. The day your hand gets put in the muck you'll wish you had one. My wife got me this cute little stone squirrel that protects the nuts. I like to feed him chips.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

OK. Thanks Debi. I didn't know that.

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
With insurance,
It's better to have insurance and not need it, than not have it, but wish you did.

A card guard/protector is a bit like insurance.
It's better to use one and not need it, than not use one, but wish you had.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I always use a chip as a card guard. Had trouble keeping track of my card guard when I tried using one.

adriantempo

adriantempo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I would use my CC card protector, just because I have it, it's nice and maybe people will ask about it.

Or I would use something just for fun. Google funny poker card protector.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always bring a card protector and lay it on the table as soon as I sit down. I have had more than one unprotected hand scoped up by an over anxious dealer.

It is not an actual card protector but a the fob from a Washington Nationals key chain repurposed for the task. It is relatively heavy and distinctive with no sharp edges to damage the cards. I've had it for over 15 years now.