TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
This will happen many times over your poker career. All poker players at some time during their career, will over estimate their own ability to beat a certain buy-in level and will inevitably bust their bankroll at higher stakes than they should be playing.

Drop back down to the proper buy in level and rebuild the bankroll..... rinse and repeat, hope to have one of these shots at higher stakes stick :)

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I broke the bankroll rule, leveled up too soon and paid the price.

We all make mistakes. I also repeatedly broke my own rules and lost my bankroll. It's sad, it's annoying, but you have to learn from your mistakes. Draw your own conclusions and do not make such mistakes in the future.

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's a big mistake to make. Now you'll need to refund it somehow. Hopefully you've learned your lesson.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Discipline is very important albeit sometimes hard to follow.

Aleks75

Aleks75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi! Therefore, we need discipline not to step on the old rake.But there is also a benefit-it is easier to learn from your mistakes.)

VikyGia

VikyGia

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probabilities

The level is the knowledge of the game and the availability of the cashier, it is generally advisable to play and not risk 25% of the cashier to always have a backup and continue playing, you will not always win, everything is probabilities.

flail1

flail1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It's a pattern I always seem to get into as well. Get a boost to the bankroll, try a few higher limit games (because I think I'm really a great player now), drop about 1/2 of recent winnings and then get back to the grind at the level I'm comfortable at. I think I enjoy the chase of a big score more than really wanting to be a long term successful player - just playing for luv of the game.

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I only play small stakes and I still cannot make my bankroll grow beyond a few bucks

wrzlbrnft

wrzlbrnft

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I broke the rule twice...
went also too fast to higher levels and lost my bankroll. I play for fun and the lost money didn't hurt me at all. But making the same mistake 2 times left a wound. Now I defined limits from which I allow myself to go to higher stakes and when I have to downgrade.
Have a look in the chapter "bankroll management" in the CC course, it's worth.
GL

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dear YenRodriguez, I wish you luck in future plays. Try to be more careful not to break the rules. Patience is a cool path that can lead to success. Big hug!

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
I broke the rule twice...
went also too fast to higher levels and lost my bankroll. I play for fun and the lost money didn't hurt me at all. But making the same mistake 2 times left a wound. Now I defined limits from which I allow myself to go to higher stakes and when I have to downgrade.
Have a look in the chapter "bankroll management" in the CC course, it's worth.
GL

2 times or more - making same mistake several times probably shows determation (or the fact you should stay miles away from that product) ...
However it's not like you'd do same "error" 34636437 times lol ...

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
hello

You have all the reason it is like that but hey also the one who does not risk does not win! greetings blessings

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well it can happen. Maybe you should now review your games to see where you can improve yourself. Studying is one of the keys. Good luck at the tables!

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It has happened to all the players and it will continue to happen to us until we learn the lesson, the most important thing in poker is the good management of your bankroll and when you want to level up you not only have to have a well-strengthened bank, you should also improve having improve your game and adapt to the next level to compete.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Discipline should always come first. You can not break the rules. Bankroll management prevents money loss and frustration.

YYfourU

YYfourU

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I live that ride of consequences , always play at stakes higher then my bankroll can afford, but that’s how u learn something, is to lose, what do u learn if you win all the time.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can you honestly tell me, does anyone live on the income from poker? I doubt it very much. We are all fan players here. I refused the idea of making money with poker, because I realized that it was impossible. Well, you lost the bankroll, and to hell with it.I do not believe that there are people on this forum for whom poker is a profession.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You're not the first, and won't be the last- don't worry too much! :wink:

As you see from the excellent selection of responses which are already here, it's something most keen poker players will experience and learn from at some stage.

The number of players who start, build their bankroll, continue to grow it, right the way to the top, without out ever felting themselves once- are very few in number.

The only real issue here is if you were also playing beyond your means, that would be a big problem indeed with serious consequences which would require addressing immediately.

As long as that isn't the case, it's purely a matter of learning from the experience, picking up the pieces and starting over.

Annoyingly, sometimes it takes learning this lesson in different ways- like if we end up playing an unfamiliar format for example.

Different formats require different bankroll management rules.

After already learning this lesson and having a strict BRM mindset myself, I still managed to find a loophole in my own brain and almost felted myself trying to satellite into a major tournament.

The satellites were all different varieties of structures & buy-in levels so because only the occasional one was ten times larger than my usual maximum stake, I wasn't able to catch myself before it was too late.

I spent almost the entire direct BI amount on satellites, decimated my BR and didn't even gain entry to the $12.5mil gtd tournament.

I'd rate the experience 0.5/10 and would not recommend! :laugh:

BRM is quite possibly the single most important factor in a truly successful poker journey.

Get that organised and you're giving yourself a real fighting chance... :flute:

:ridinghor

W

WJMKAM

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I lose it all, I lose it all. (That is in my gambling Fund. There is a hard wall beyond that fund.) I will just put a new $10 into my gambling fund again next week. The key is to not spend the future gambling fund before it is in the fund. I can wait 11 weeks if I want to get into a $100 tourney.

On the other hand, I usually keep at least 5 entry fees kept back. Only once did I take money from the entertainment fund. That fund was building up anyway.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
You were tempted to get up more steps than you should, that was an experience and lesson too. It could work, but it has a few possibilities. Never mind, keep trying, with wiser steps.:joyman:

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
In our lives, like poker, everything has a cause and effect. The path to success lies through failure. The main thing is that you learn from mistakes and avoid repeating them in the future.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
we have all suffered something like this, the idea is to learn from our mistakes and not to make mistakes in the future :)

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's tough to keep grinding at the small stakes . I always grind away and win some and think I can play the "big" games.
It seems that I always seem to not win at the higher stakes and return to the small stakes.
I don't think it is the skill set as much as being uncomfortable putting more money at risk.
Maybe I should focus more on tournaments where the money is a done deal when you start and I will be playing for tournament points instead.
Has anyone else tried this with any good outcomes?

Bnobob

Bnobob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Team Star

like not wanting to win with J,J preflop

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management Poker Rules - Poker Games