BR?

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Has anyone ignored BR management because they have felt that they were a better player and deserved to go to a higher limit which was beyond proper BR management?

During the couple days that I was rampaging, I had found that I really enjoyed the play at the .10/.25 tables and had never really ventured beyond the .05/.10 tables for fear of improper BR management before the rampaging contest, today I started out with a $45 BR and took $5 to the table and now my BR is around $90, I know it isn't much of a gain, but its a little less grind for me and less donkeys IMO, large bets are respected a little more and bluffs are easier, I find anyway.

Not that I suggest this to anyone else, I know I will go through swings at this level in one session at a time, which I have already.
Just thought I would put this question out there.

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2 be honest...this stupid br management thing doesnt work for me i have tried it before it just waste of time i will play for like 5 hours and win like 5$...lol waste of time to me. but if i dont do the br management i will win about 100$ in about 1 or 2 hours if im not getting bad beat and im getting some hands and then again i can lose all of my money, but thats just how it works for me 50/50 i either hit big or hit nothing and i tried br management many times...not working for me (maybe im doing something wrong? lol)

Swanny

Swanny

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2 be honest...this stupid br management thing doesnt work for me i have tried it before it just waste of time i will play for like 5 hours and win like 5$...lol waste of time to me. but if i dont do the br management i will win about 100$ in about 1 or 2 hours if im not getting bad beat and im getting some hands and then again i can lose all of my money, but thats just how it works for me 50/50 i either hit big or hit nothing and i tried br management many times...not working for me (maybe im doing something wrong? lol)

You really just don't understand what bankroll management is for then. Not to mention, that sentence almost made my head explode.

BR management is not about how to win sessions. It's about playing within your BR to avoid the mental anguish of long downswings, and avoiding tilt. That's just one of the reasons but it's the main reason for me. I'd suggest you read a bit more on BR management...

Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally don't think that you should be following BR management until you have a real BR to manage in the first place. Got $10 in your account? Take it to a .05/.10 table. Got $25? Do some of the bigger micro sng's. BR management at such a low BR will make you grind out PENNIES at a time, and that's just ridiculous. Get your bankroll to a level where it's rolled for games that are actually WORTH your time, THEN start managing to make sure you don't have to drop a level.

B

bw07507

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With a BR of 90 I would not recommend playing 25max unless you are prepared to lose it all (not saying that it will happen, but it is a definate possibility). I recently tried something like this. I had 50 dollars in my account, played 25max and got it to around 330. I hit a rediculous hot streak and got lucky. I figured I could do it again, so I took 200 dollars out and tried again, but I just kept getting bad beat after bad beat and eventually hit 50 dollars. I put all on a 50max table and had my set of 3s sucked out on the river to lose it all except for 98 cents. I was prepared to lose that though, so yea, I was pissed for a day or so, but I knew it was a possibility when I decided to do it.

If you really enjoy playing and you cannot deposit again I would suggest you not try this, but if you are willing to redeposit or just dont care if you go broke, go for it. I agree with you, 25max is a lot more fun than 10max, but it would be silly to blow 90 dollars in a downswing if you cannot redeposit.

Swanny

Swanny

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally don't think that you should be following BR management until you have a real BR to manage in the first place. Got $10 in your account? Take it to a .05/.10 table. Got $25? Do some of the bigger micro sng's. BR management at such a low BR will make you grind out PENNIES at a time, and that's just ridiculous. Get your bankroll to a level where it's rolled for games that are actually WORTH your time, THEN start managing to make sure you don't have to drop a level.

That makes alot of sense. If you can easily deposit another 50 or so after a while then why not? I have done that. Numerous times.

I have also turned 10 bucks into 400 playing .50/1.00 limit after Party tried to get me back with free 10 bucks a year or so ago. At that same time I was just starting to practice strict BR management at poker stars. I think at that time I had made a deposit of 50/60 bucks with the intention of practicing proper BR management (playing .10/.20 limit). I was smoking there and moved up to .25/.50 after I hit 150 bucks. It was around then I moved to .25/.50 when the freebie from Party came in and I was also having a small downswing after moving up at Stars. I figured one night I'd just go play with that freebie money at Party just to take a night off from Stars. Being that I had lost money at Party a couple years ago I was not able to play at the beginner tables that they had then so the smalles stakes I could play was .50/1.00. Well, like I said, I kicked major ass and built it up to around 400 bucks in a week or so. This was the WORST thing that could have happened to me. So with my then 500$ or so BR (combing both Stars/Party) I started playing .50/1.00 at Stars too. No biggie, I could move money from one to the other. This is getting a bit long so to make a longer story short...

I decided I would withdraw a big chunk of that money from Party and buy some new fishing and camping gear and took my nephew on a 5 day fisihing trip. I think my BR combined was about 150 or so after that. I continued playing .50/1.00 at both sites even knowing I was under bankrolled. I forgot that I had wanted to practice proper BR management because I got on such a hot streak, blah blah blah. I just lost focus of that goal and then the downswing hit. I then went on tilt. I was pissed off at myself for not continuing what I had started. The downswing and tilt got worse, I dabbled in more SNG's (I prefer limit and still was trying NL SNG's). It all went to hell in a hand basket real fast...

Now we aren't talking alot of money, but it really screwed with me bad. Like I said already, this is getting too long and there is more I'd like to share on this at some time but I think you get the point I'm trying to make.

reglardave

reglardave

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Uh, what?

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Has anyone ignored BR management because they have felt that they were a better player and deserved to go to a higher limit which was beyond proper BR management?

Yep. With lovely results. lol @ me playing 2/4 with 2000 bucks...

Take it from someone who's seen the ups and the downs. And more downs.

Don't do it. If you're dicking around with $50 and just having fun knowing you can deposit again later, then whatever, go and do so (players like these are aka the fish at the bottom of the food chain btw). If you're sitting on a bankroll of any significance and actually think you can beat variance, think again.

I learned my lesson, and now only play with ~%2 of my bankroll.

LuckyShark777

LuckyShark777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been doing very well with BR management, I will take a downswing and my br will be fine, I am able to take beats and keep playing without any problem.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
err your past threads tell a different story, LS ;)

So you've finally decided to play with proper BR management?

LuckyShark777

LuckyShark777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea i took a break came back with a clear head