best way to win freeroll

G

gabstaeltoper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
win a freeroll... Do you think the only way to win a freeroll is to double up early with a lot of luck ? or there still is a part of skill somewhere? i would like to know if a player as already won 10-15 freerolls or something like that.. but i dont think its possible : D the best way to win freeroll ? PUSH AND PRAY thx

Boeggs

Boeggs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion is tight-aggresive in the beginning (until the fisrts break) and then open it up more after the break. And a good time to steal pots is around the bubble because people dont want to go out without cashing. Once you make the bubble then you have to open it up even more. Winning any kind of multi table tourney whether free or real money is extremely difficult. Don't expect to win many if any at all. But if you play smart you can definetly cash quite often and build your bankroll that way

TheRinser

TheRinser

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hmmmmmm

Ive won one or two MTT freerolls, not more then 10 though, and ive done it by playing different. Aggresive at the start is good if your cards hit, but its a sure way to leave the tourney too. Id say tight first half hour, open a little before the break to try build that stack, Agree with the previous post on position around the bubble, great way to steal biggish pots around the blinds. But id say tighten up again beyond the bubble...Hopefully if youve made it this far your stacks going to be big, and ive crapped out alot by taking that for granted, getting into bad situations and gradually losing the stack down to the point of playing all in any two...You are going to need luck on yur side though.

B

bss514

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah luck is definetely a factor in those large freerolls, I have cashed a few times and won a couple. When i have won I was lucky to hit hands early and late in tourney. I think luck is more of a factor in online play anyway.

bredstik

bredstik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I get a huge hand early I'll call one of those All-In donkeys, but otherwise I find it best to pretty much fold the first hour before loosening up.

19RK64

19RK64

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
win a freeroll... Do you think the only way to win a freeroll is to double up early with a lot of luck ? or there still is a part of skill somewhere? I would like to know if a player as already won 10-15 freerolls or something like that.. but i dont think its possible : D the best way to win freeroll ? PUSH AND PRAY thx

No you don't haft to dubble up first off to win a freeroll, I played a FR a while back and played 11 hands the hole game other than BB and made it to final table, thought that was Odd.. I do look for hands to dubble up on early and try to focus narrowing my field of callers down two 1 or two, but to just toss Im not much into that. The thing about your early on dubble up is, for me it gives a chance to play a few more marginal hands and trap players that don't see what you are playing(gap connectors,ect) that will help in the mid-stage of the tourney, when the blinds are bigger allowing you to start applying pressure on the smaller stacks at your table.If miss I still have enough to continue playing, but the 1500 to 3000 extra chips really aint worth all that much, intill blinds get bigger, and your question is it possible to win 10 or 15? yes, well over that..I think success came from playing at least!!!! four at all times(multi-table all times when Freerollin)and play them exactly how they are played!! what Im trying to say is: if theirs any time you should try a supper aggressive game,what better time than in a Freeroll, you can play tight or loose, but if you don't reach ITM you won't haft to worry about winning..

Last edited:
Y

Yankees5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what i found that works good for me is callin those all in in he begginning and hope to get lucky and once i won that i just sit out till the first break..then i start my playin my game just playin like the top 10 best hands or suited connectors..ive only placed in a handful but i been so close on many!

S

sketchpad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't believe in just trying to get lucky, sure it works for some and yes you have to get lucky but skill should always come first...no matter if the idiot on your right continues to call raises with 10-3...patience my good friend

P

pokerking123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion is tight-aggresive in the beginning (until the fisrts break) and then open it up more after the break. And a good time to steal pots is around the bubble because people dont want to go out without cashing. Once you make the bubble then you have to open it up even more. Winning any kind of multi table tourney whether free or real money is extremely difficult. Don't expect to win many if any at all. But if you play smart you can definetly cash quite often and build your bankroll that way

this is the best strategy in my opinion

NascarFanSS

NascarFanSS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've cashed in close to 10 freerolls just this month and I can tell you from personal experience that creating bad habits for yourself in freerolls will carry over into any cash you may win. You can spend hours in many freerolls trying to get that lucky hand when in the same amount of time you could build your stack by playing smart kinda like dude up there said.

Also I would like to note that if you are good at one paticular style focus on that when you get into cash. Up until my last cash yesterday I was taking my winnings to fixed limit ring games and getting stomped prolly lost about 75$ in freeroll winnings that way. I thought to myself why am I playing FL when I should be playing NL seeing as that is what I have been playing and cashing in. Turned my 12$ winnings yesterday into 60$ playing at the .10/.25 NL tables for the first time.

S

ShaiStar

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
my 2 cents.

I've been playing poker for about a year now, and online for a month. i never deposited any money - i play only freerolls (at least 1 every day) and then play my winnings. so far i placed 1th 2th and 8th in carbon 1500 people freerolls. 1th and 10th in a freeroll in casineto (not many players there since their software realy sucks). 1th and 3rd in pitbull. itm in bodog, intertops and pokerstars 2000$ final (had 2 tickets). made a total of over 200$ in freeroll earnings (lost most of it but I'm learning BR now). My startegy is basicly playing nothing but AA KK AKs AKo the first few rounds. I use this time to observe the table and find the doubled up pushers and prayers. then I will try and pull them all in with big hands. once I have a nice stack I would go into chip pots with marginal hands - hoping to get lucky and in the worst case toss it after the flop losing only 50-100 chips blinds. in the bubble try to steal as much as possible. and then ITM - play my big hands very aggresivly.
In all those cases luck was involved at keeping me in or getting my stack bigger. but skill got me there.

J

JKelso

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unfortunately, alot of luck is involved. I try to play T/A, but with all the radical play out there(the push and pray players) you can be at the top of your game and about 75% of the time someone will suck out on you. I have read alot of stategies and have tried several, but have never been a consistant freeroll winner.

MDTed

MDTed

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are a few ways to play freerolls, at least in my opinion and it's all based on the number of entrants into the tournament and the frequency of the tournaments.

I started on UB, there were freerolls almost every hour with 4000+ people in them. Stars now with their 10,000+ person freerolls, even Full Tilt with their 2700 person freerolls. Those freerolls require a different type of play to make it worth your time.

Large freerolls, figure out where you need to be to get "in the money", whatever that means. Some sites it's a round 1, top 50, some sites give out $.10 and up, some sites only pay a small number of entrants. First hand is critical, it's an every hour deal in most cases so why worry? If any other player goes all in, follow suit. Never let anyone bluff you off a hand because it just doesn't matter. Once you get past the first hour and 2/3 of the players are gone, then it's time to actually play poker.

Midrange freerolls, it depends on the payouts. If it's a small payout, go for it exactly as described above. If it's a larger payout just play the top 9 hands the first hour, then loosen up.

Smaller freerolls play normal poker but don't let people force you off a good preflop hand by their all in bets on the first couple of hands. I saw someone advocate even folding AA, that's just stupid. Play poker like you recognize how good a starting hand is, sure you might lose to an all in 72os but over the long term the probabilities will favor you.

I've won 4 of those 12,000 Stars freerolls, back when I was just starting and didn't realize what a waste of time that was. I still have 3 tickets for round 2 games, I can never remember to use them. On UB I've won the $500 bonus dollar tournament twice and final tabled it 2 more times, also won the TEC daily and weekly ones. Note that when I say "won" in some cases it means I made the top 50 to go to next round. I've won a 2 or 3 of the CC freerolls as well as 2 from other forums. This strategy works for me, maybe it's not your thing but it's how I approach any freeroll I play in.

Jodieblonde

Jodieblonde

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You've got to have luck and put up with people going all in with hands that aren't all that great. It's a great way to win some money and get experience until and maybe win some money though. Nothing wrong with testing your luck if it doesn't take your bankroll to do it.

Y

Yankees5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i tried the strategy of iether going all in or fold in a freeroll last night and got to the top 300..if i woulda got smart and started playing real poker once i built my roll up to 18,000which i did..i probably woulda placed. but they strategy did work for that freeroll

J

jrosekcs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have won 4 freerols on tilt now and can say that i play tight and stay patient....usually i am towards the bottom part of the group until 2nd break...then people loosen up/play different and i find my hands start hitting and up i shoot....but is hard to get thru tha many peopl....have cashed in a total of 8 frerols on tilt and 2 on stars

R

reb0202

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls

I have played at alot of freerolls only on Bodog and I have cashed several times. My best was 7th and that only paid like 7 dollars and some change LOL. My opinion is that you have to take chances some times when you get those "you just know it is going to come up cards" AA, KK, QQ man those are dangerious in Free rolls cause what does anyone have to lose so people will call with a 2/3 off and win ya know. I usually finish in the top 62 but for the time you put in the money is well bad 2 bucks here and there but if you like playing poker then hey WFT right.

H

henriquetnn

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With strong peer pressure at the beginning, more in the middle of the freeroll has to be more careful, all in may be necessary, and such a move is not pleasant. My best position was third, of 360 players. :joyman:​

BuggyX

BuggyX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My way to get through a freeroll is playing tight and agressive, patience always helpful, sometimes i play only a couple of good hands and hit, aggression is ok especially when blinds are very high and a tight image helps to scare others away with a decent raise..and dont forget..luck helps..sometimes...lol

slipknot4life

slipknot4life

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wining a freeroll should not even be a thought that crosses the mind. I try to be consistent, making the money is what is important, if your gonna play for 4 hours that should be the goal. If it is your time u will know,lol.

N

nevertrust0

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freeolls

i think call only good hands in the begening and push sometimes. see what the table is doing and how they play and go from there. always play a hand hard if your going to play one at all........

T

TheMountainBoy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ya be patient at first, nd wait for your chance to double up. Later on maybe don't be as afraid as you usually would witha buy-in tournament to make that big move and go for the flush or draw on the river. Play big and then bully.

JCuervo

JCuervo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, I'll try to play conservative if there are only a couple of hundred people. If there are thousands, then I'm learning to bingo with the rest of them and pray for luck until things become more normal. Nothing worse than playing for a couple of hours only to have and having someone keep going allin with nothing and getting lucky against you.

M

mt19135

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
in large freerolls i think its best to play premium hands until the 1st break, but if u find urself in a coin flip to double up take the chance. once passed the break loosen your game up a little more

Gorblid

Gorblid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i won 5+ freerolls, the trick is to play at the begining with premiuem hands only go all in with AA,AK,KK,QQ,AQ, call blinds with TJ 89 JQ.., alot of folds. and after you get some cash be more aggresive but do it in periods some periods be realy tight then go aggresive, and cearfull not to tilt. works for me sometimes :)