Best percentage of acct balance to bet on?

F

FATToney12

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone,

First of all I wanted to introduce myself. I am known as "FAT Toney" and I play Texas Holdem Poker, sportsbetting(football/soccer, American football- college football and NFL, and NBA), and 7k Stud. I am from Ohio, and I have recently started on the online poker and sportsbetting scene. I mostly use the site Bet Online, which I use after I left juicy stakes poker.

One issue I have had difficulty on is deciding how much I should spend on each tournament. I have sometimes found myself doing well when I increase the tournament stack, but then lost a bunch in one day. I've wondered whether the issue is: 1. I play too many tournaments in one day and thus do not play when I am in the best mood for playing poker, 2. I wonder whether I am playing too little or too much on individual tournaments.

I have always wondered what amount is most reasonable to bet on based on ones account balance. That is, what is a reasonable amount that an individual player should spend on individual tournaments? I mean this both in the general sense (i.e. what types of tournaments one should spend on- sit and go, large/small, etc.) and specifically in terms of the amount of ones account stack.(i.e. how much one should spend to play in an individual tournament)

What have you guys found to be a reasonable variation of tournament amounts? Should you play in tournaments that are in the region of more than 10% of your account balance? Should you play in only a certain number of tournaments each day? Should you limit yourself to a certain number of large versus small tournaments? Should you spend a long time in large tournaments, or spend most of your time in Sit and Go tournaments?

paulinhlt

paulinhlt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good morning, this will depend on your poker level these days. If you play for the team or play for yourself. The bet is that you bet (buy-in) in games that your bankroll can support a variance equivalent to 50-100 buyins.

The type of grid and tournaments as said, varies according to your level of poker, the more expensive, the more difficult the field.

V

vladimir1464

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hello my name is Vladimir I am from Russia playing since 2012 on one site pokerstars, I like to play tournaments, I make the same mistake, winning the tournament and taking first place and getting the prize, I start to lose them all and then start everything from scratch so throughout of my period I can’t save and multiply my bankroll after success in a tournament, can I take a break after a big win? And how long should a break be.
i play texas hold'em no limit

Sorry for my English

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You never want to have more than 1% of your bankroll in a game.

bijan777

bijan777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You must always have plan
Bankroll manege so help you red about it

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are several aspects that should be considered. First of all never play when you are tired, drunk, angry or in any similar state. You should be in good shape physically and mentally to play your best game. If you feel tired after 3 hours of play you better stop than start loosing money.

Seconds aspect - the different game types. This is something that you should discover for yourself. Play all of them for some time - SNGs, MTTs, spins, cash games and see which one is most suitable for you and where you play best. When you find your favorite focus on this type.

Third aspect - bankroll management. There are many articles covering this including here on cardschat but to sum it up - two things are most important. Never risk more than 1 to 2 percent of your bankroll for a single game and always try to keep you bankroll such that you have at least 50 buyins for the current level you are playing. If you are playing well at certain level do not be tempted to go to higher level without having build up enough bankroll. Be patient and grow step by step.

V

vladimir1464

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, thank you very much for your advice. The main thing is that I understood this patience both in the game and in relation to my bankroll

F

FATToney12

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There are several aspects that should be considered. First of all never play when you are tired, drunk, angry or in any similar state. You should be in good shape physically and mentally to play your best game. If you feel tired after 3 hours of play you better stop than start loosing money.

Seconds aspect - the different game types. This is something that you should discover for yourself. Play all of them for some time - SNGs, MTTs, spins, cash games and see which one is most suitable for you and where you play best. When you find your favorite focus on this type.

Third aspect - bankroll management. There are many articles covering this including here on cardschat but to sum it up - two things are most important. Never risk more than 1 to 2 percent of your bankroll for a single game and always try to keep you bankroll such that you have at least 50 buyins for the current level you are playing. If you are playing well at certain level do not be tempted to go to higher level without having build up enough bankroll. Be patient and grow step by step.

That sounds like great advice. Thank you!