Being Tight Doesn't Mean Playing Good and Vice/Versa

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i often play loose especially in cash games . and when i win with a bad hand i get called donk or fish etc . but i know how to play with junk hands

it seems to me that there are many players who think that when you play loose that you are a fish and also that when you play a tight game that you are good

but that is not true

T

tomatientje

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agreed, it totally depends on the table, the other players, your stack, the previous hands (you) showed, and probably many more parameters. Calling names, not okay, and usually done by the one losing, but don't call that person a looser!

D

DIANTA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Support with some comments. Above all, aggression is also important. Low aggression is an indicator of a weak player. Say, for exampe, I would consider 50-90% PFR in average for a both loose/tight styles as OK for any stages. I prefer agressive tight with bluff share.

A

Axmanace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i often play loose especially in cash games . and when i win with a bad hand i get called donk or fish etc . but i know how to play with junk hands

it seems to me that there are many players who think that when you play loose that you are a fish and also that when you play a tight game that you are good

but that is not true

Sure. But if you call a three bet with a jank hand - or chase a flush draw when you are not getting pot odds... you’re no longer just playing “loose”.

The only time I throw out the donk card is when my opponent is making obvious mistakes - but still donks out. Thankfully that doesn’t happen often.

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sure. But if you call a three bet with a jank hand - or chase a flush draw when you are not getting pot odds... you’re no longer just playing “loose”.

The only time I throw out the donk card is when my opponent is making obvious mistakes - but still donks out. Thankfully that doesn’t happen often.

i disagree with you . i do call 3 bets with junk sometimes especially when i have position . i do it purposely because when i know villian has AA-QQ then i will try to suck out on him with 2 pair , straight etc. . it is often easy money because you know that he has an overpair so you can milk him . lel

and chasing flush draws is also something i like to do

A

Axmanace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i disagree with you . i do call 3 bets with junk sometimes especially when i have position . i do it purposely because when i know villian has AA-QQ then i will try to suck out on him with 2 pair , straight etc. . it is often easy money because you know that he has an overpair so you can milk him . lel

and chasing flush draws is also something i like to do

I misspoke. Calling a 3-bet is sometimes acceptable if enough people are in the pot.

It is never a good idea to make a 3 bet with low pair though (unless your know your opponent is weak and you plan on just bluffing him off the pot).

Chasing a flush draw is only good if you are getting right odds to call, otherwise you’re playing bad poker.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Making generalities can get us into trouble.

I would say that there are good and bad loose players. There are good and bad tight players. There are good and bad aggressive players as well. The point is that whatever style you choose as your comfort zone, you will need to play that style very well to succeed.

Why do I think all this is true? Look at the playing styles at the final table in your next MTT. You will likely find a variety of play there. So if a tight player can get to the last 10 of a 500 player field, and a loose player can get to the last 10 of the same 500 player field, aren't they both good players? Of course, variance is real thing, and I would wager money that both of these players had their fair share of suckouts and river hits to make it to the final table.

Good luck and God bless.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely true. Just see the poker pros and very few of them have a tight style, usually they have a more aggressive style.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. Whatever works is good. That takes work, though.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's all about the Gamma Game. The big picture.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tight poker is boring poker. You sit and wait for big hands, and big spots.

Loose poker is exciting poker. You're in there with all kinds of crap hands, and figuring out how to make it work and win the hand somehow - more often than not, by attempting to portray your hand to be something other than the two random cards it actually is. LOL

As a tight, boring player, I envy you loose fun players who rarely seem to take a break from the action, hand after hand you're in there mixing it up... meanwhile, sourpuss old me here just folded my hand for a full hour straight, still with my starting stack, and you're over there with about 10 full buyins building castles with your chipstacks... :)

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I agree with you this is not true.
But you are no less, if you play with junk, then in tournaments, your chances of winning are greatly reduced. Either way, your bankroll should let you know which direction you should go.