Be the subtle artist.

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
This is most blatant in no-limit tournaments but overall the importance of understanding that the bad beat donkeys are not wrong cannot be overstated; they are just awkward artists who have found an audience (including the cards) that happens to come together to appreciate their playstyle for a short amount of time. You cannot deny that Loose-fish/donks have more glory when they dominate than sharks do but it is the very need to feel constant gratification and glory that means they never end up making more than they lose and this is where you must see the beauty of the subtle art of the shark.

The card-shark isn't a majestic beast like the real life shark is, instead it is a subtle, sly creature whose art form lies in the way it reacts to the other artists and the way it will make their art look ugly on a regular basis even if it barely gets to shine itself.

The winning poker player isn't the one who makes the other players look and feel dumb for playing bad poker, it's the one who looks average, seems to just go with the flow but deep down is a raging misunderstood artist who sucks up every bad beat like a champ and wins relatively humble so as not to alarm the fish to try and improve or ot quit poker altogether. The best card-sharks paint to first lay low and accentuate the other's art but later on will make their art look hideous for its lack of consistency.

Be the subtle artist, glory is for the donkeys.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Tis true, but hard to set that ego aside when one plays another perfectly & the poker gods choose to randomly reward him/her. Hard but as you say rewarding in the long run.
Personally I'm going to start taking your advice, next week. :rolleyes:

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I enjoyed the read. Thanks madman.

firstcrack

firstcrack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure about what a card shark is but I am pretty sure I know where they come from--the North Sea and the Baltic Sea. There is a young group of Germans really setting the high roller fields on fire these days. :)

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure about what a card shark is but I am pretty sure I know where they come from--the North Sea and the Baltic Sea. There is a young group of Germans really setting the high roller fields on fire these days. :)

Well my mother's father was German so maybe germans really are better at poker.