bb VS BB

P

PokerJoeAAAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can someone explain to me why both terms are used. I believe that bb= big blinds and BB = Big bets (2X bigblind)?
Thanks for your time.
PokerJoe

kadafi

kadafi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BB can mean big blind or big bets and big bet is the same as big blind. Definitions do vary tho.

TPC

TPC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A big bet does not equal a big blind. A Big bet equals two Big Blinds.

You need to look at the context to figure out what they are meaning when they use bb or BB. Some people use both ways, some don't. you can usually figure out what they are talking about, tough.

When someone says I'm winning 5bb/100, they are saying they are wining five big bets per 100 hands.

When someone says I raised 3x from the button, and bb three bet. They are talking about being three bet by the player in the big blind.

When someone is talking about winrates ect and you see bb or BB it's usually big bets.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
big bet is the same as big blind.
Definitely not. A big bet is 2x a big blind. "Big Bet" is a limit concept because you have a Small Bet and a Big Bet. Winrates in limit are discussed in terms of big bets.

BB can mean big blind or big bets and
Now see in my experience I would disagree with this. Unless I'm mistaken, "bb" = big blinds and "BB" = Big Bets. So 10bb/hour = 5BB/hour. And this is customizable in PT/HEM iirc as to what you see. But speaking in terms of big bets for a no limit game is just weird to me since there is not such thing as a big bet when there is no limit to how much can be bet.

P

PokerJoeAAAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks Jack, That makes sense that big bet would be a limit holdem term.
I dont play much limit so i never thought of that.

kadafi

kadafi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely not. A big bet is 2x a big blind. "Big Bet" is a limit concept because you have a Small Bet and a Big Bet. Winrates in limit are discussed in terms of big bets.

Now see in my experience I would disagree with this. Unless I'm mistaken, "bb" = big blinds and "BB" = Big Bets. So 10bb/hour = 5BB/hour. And this is customizable in PT/HEM iirc as to what you see. But speaking in terms of big bets for a no limit game is just weird to me since there is not such thing as a big bet when there is no limit to how much can be bet.

I don't know tbh, i see people using bb and BB to describe the same things a lot of the time.

But you are right, a big bet is two big blinds.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know tbh, i see people using bb and BB to describe the same things a lot of the time.
And that may be true these days. Basically what I was referring to was this thread. One thing for sure is that discussion winrates in limit is terms of Big Bets and winrates in NL/PL are in terms of Big Blinds.

TPC

TPC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And that may be true these days. Basically what I was referring to was this thread. One thing for sure is that discussion winrates in limit is terms of Big Bets and winrates in NL/PL are in terms of Big Blinds.

Not entirely true. Because if you are using software like PT3 or HEM, your winrates are tracked in big bets regardless if you are playing limit or NL/PL.

Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not entirely true. Because if you are using software like PT3 or HEM, your winrates are tracked in big bets regardless if you are playing limit or NL/PL.
well you can change that option in the software, but like he said it's pointless to measure nl in BB and stupid to measure fl in bb.