Basement League Dilemma

G

Geddylee

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What would you do if you were in charge of the league....

Season ending championship game, and the following situation happens.

After almost 10 hours of play, it's down to heads up play. Player X has held the chip lead since it was 6 handed. He raises with 77, player B re-raises with 22. Player X moves all in, B calls.

Player B hits a 2 on the turn to take the lead. The river is the Q of hearts, giving player X a flush.

Player B concedes the hand and the tournament.
Handshakes all around, a couple pictures taken, prize money given out, players go home.

*A side note. We are a small league (about 60 players) of friends . We don't have dealers. We deal ourselves using 2 rotating decks. We also use the rule that cards speak for themselves. During heads up play, only player X, player B and player B's wife are left in the room. His wife is shuffling the cards for them. Prize money is $2,500 and $1,500*

Now the dilemma. ...after player X shares one of the pictures later that night, it's noticed that the winning hand can be seen in the picture. The board is 4-6-6 -2-Q. Which means, player B had the winning hand with a full house....

How do you handle it, if you are the commissioner of the league.

GODZZ

GODZZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it's clearly visible, I think there at least should be a meeting with all parties . And maybe an agreement could be reached.

G/L

Pbland

Pbland

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've played both ways: cards speak and players declare. If you don't have a rule in place, I would say you go with how the game ended. I'd be curios to know what the wsop has in place.

C

CardDead711

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once the hand is over game is done. Its every players responsibility to protect his hand. Once the hand is released it over, regardless of what happens later.
Now if it 100% certain the cards on the table have not been touched when everyone got up for pics, etc., and everyone is friends, in good sportsmanship player C could make it right, split the winnings, etc. If X decided not to that would be ok too since player B did not protect his hand.
Tough spot regardless for a friendly tournament.
Good luck.

Odysseus101

Odysseus101

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, that's a tough call. The "loser" with the full house conceded the hand and the loss. And it wasn't until a photo appeared later that a mistake was observed. This kind of thing can tear apart a friendly league.

If I had won this on the flush, I'd offer to split the difference with the loser. Then each of us arguably has walked away with more than we deserve. Whatever it takes to keep it friendly, right? When the stakes get this high, maybe there should be a "dealer" on the final table just to avoid the potential for arguments, and that everyone agree to a single person who will settle these issues whose judgement is final. It's better to lose a disgruntled single player or two than have the whole league taking sides and being up in arms. That's no fun. This reminds me off lotto pools at the office when some contributors are derelict in their regular contribution to the buy in, and when there's a big when the lawsuits follow inevitably.

Last edited:
J

jwlaw35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah I have always played it as a declared wrong hand and the win will stand.. If the player did not declare top hand and conceded the hand the hand is over.. I have had people say I have a set and joke if I want to see it.. hell yeah I want to see it lol

detroitjunkie

detroitjunkie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As commissioner you should judge that the player X wins because B conceeded hand and all is done. However, you should lobby for X to just chop it up as stated above but not force it. If X is any kind of good sport they will chop. If not, to bad for B...gotta pay attention and if the group is not willing to compensate a dedicated dealer then you have to live with these problems and be ok with it

G

Geddylee

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
**Dilemma UPDATE**

I should've mentioned that in addition to the prize money, the winner also gets a bracelet, name on a plaque, and bragging rights 😊.

So, here's the rest of the story......

Player X called the commissioner the next morning and explained the situation. All parties involved agreed to chop the money and then play a heads up match to determine the champion.

The heads up match lasted 1hr 16 min. Player X won with a flush vs 2 pair.

What would you do if you were in charge of the league....

Season ending championship game, and the following situation happens.

After almost 10 hours of play, it's down to heads up play. Player X has held the chip lead since it was 6 handed. He raises with 77, player B re-raises with 22. Player X moves all in, B calls.

Player B hits a 2 on the turn to take the lead. The river is the Q of hearts, giving player X a flush.

Player B concedes the hand and the tournament.
Handshakes all around, a couple pictures taken, prize money given out, players go home.

*A side note. We are a small league (about 60 players) of friends . We don't have dealers. We deal ourselves using 2 rotating decks. We also use the rule that cards speak for themselves. During heads up play, only player X, player B and player B's wife are left in the room. His wife is shuffling the cards for them. Prize money is $2,500 and $1,500*

Now the dilemma. ...after player X shares one of the pictures later that night, it's noticed that the winning hand can be seen in the picture. The board is 4-6-6 -2-Q. Which means, player B had the winning hand with a full house....

How do you handle it, if you are the commissioner of the league.

J

JohnMaverick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Photos can be manipulated!

In addition to what has been said here before, photos can be manipulated! (I'm not saying that was what happened, but if it's not something clear, it may simply represent something that was not the situation. For example, the 2 that appears, was the second hand of the loser only in the middle of the cards By carelessness) I think the hand was solved right there, because I think they both had the power to judge their hands in a stage of that championship! Unfortunately, if the player who won is someone who is very supportive and can understand the type of situation, it may be worth exposing the problem with both parties!

G

Geddylee

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Dilemma update

I should've mentioned that the winner also gets a bracelet, name on a plaque, and bragging rights.

Now, the rest of the story.....

Player X called the commissioner the next morning and explained the situation. All parties involved agreed to chop the money and play a heads up match for the bracelet, etc.
The heads up match lasted for an hour and 15 minutes. Player X won with a flush vs. 2 pair.

C

CardDead711

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice to hear that it worked out and the results stayed the same with X winning. Good luck next year, hope you have a flawless season.

A

alt888

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, that's a tough call. The "loser" with the full house conceded the hand and the loss. And it wasn't until a photo appeared later that a mistake was observed. This kind of thing can tear apart a friendly league.

If I had won this on the flush, I'd offer to split the difference with the loser. Then each of us arguably has walked away with more than we deserve. Whatever it takes to keep it friendly, right? When the stakes get this high, maybe there should be a "dealer" on the final table just to avoid the potential for arguments, and that everyone agree to a single person who will settle these issues whose judgement is final. It's better to lose a disgruntled single player or two than have the whole league taking sides and being up in arms. That's no fun. This reminds me off lotto pools at the office when some contributors are derelict in their regular contribution to the buy in, and when there's a big when the lawsuits follow inevitably.

That's some good advice, for a dealer at the final table - find someone unrelated to the game.

Vlad symrak

Vlad symrak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The map and position and experience can easily break down from the wild luck of any newcomer! Even the commissioner does not insure against accidental mistakes !!!

slurredreaction

slurredreaction

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Glad you got a nice friendly league going and i'm glad the way the whole situation turned out. I need to find me one of these in my city. =)