bandwidth and internet poker

R

rhulp1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

Does anyone know if a program like pokerstars or full tilt takes a lot of bandwidth? And is it possible that this might slow other computers which use the same wifi connection???:confused:

riverboatrat

riverboatrat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not at all, its very low bandwidth.

Youre not sending graphics down the line but rather small packets of information is coming to your pc from the server and the program on your pc reacts accordingly, sure its a continous stream of packets but nothing like downloading a torrent

Capecodkiller

Capecodkiller

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^^ he is right the only time I have any lag is if I have a Torrent open. My wife and I sometimes will play in a tourney together and my son will be playing online with his Xbox 360 and we have no lag at all. Your lag may be caused by your IPS (internet service provider) or a old router.<<This will also depend on your location. Example my friend lives in Maine in the US and they always have lag spikes. Sometime resetting your router and modem in a lot of cases will help this problem. GL:joyman:

Crummy

Crummy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You could play on PS or FT on a dial up modem and still be good. What type of pipe do you have (connection speed).

Capecodkiller

Capecodkiller

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You could play on PS or FT on a dial up modem and still be good. What type of pipe do you have (connection speed).

Dial up and running on a router is bad!<<< I hope you not doing this lol.

icemonkey9

icemonkey9

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah if you even have a dial up connection you'll be able to multitable just fine.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My primary internet connection from home is satellite and that's pretty much the suck for poker so I always play on dial-up. No problems there. BTW satellite sucks because the latency is so high.

R

rhulp1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the quick answer. I live in an appartment and we share the internet and one computer of another couple is slow and they said it could be because of online poker (I have no prob with my computer). But i reacted that a bittorent is prob. the cause.
But thanks anyway now i can continue with my pokergame (they asked me to stop pokerplaying well not in my lifetime!!!)

Crummy

Crummy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dial up and running on a router is bad!<<< I hope you not doing this lol.

Not if your running through a PSTN connection. I haven't used dial up for over 10 years. I have a 10Meg circuit running my network, thinking about upgrading to 15....

R

rugby0

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a high speed connection but still get note the the site is removing the graphics because my computer is to slow. What is the problem?

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Does anyone know if a program like pokerstars or full tilt takes a lot of bandwidth? And is it possible that this might slow other computers which use the same wifi connection???:confused:

It takes up very little bandwidth. I've played 8 tables with my dial-up connection, without any problem.

If you have DSL, it won't slow down other computers.

Crummy said:
I have a high speed connection but still get note the the site is removing the graphics because my computer is to slow. What is the problem?

What site? And what are the specs of your computer? I assume your computer is just too slow.

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
HAHA you quoted the wrong person on your last post!

:( Quit laughing at me. When people laugh at me the voices tell me to light fires. I'm not supposed to listen to the bad voices.

Crummy

Crummy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:( Quit laughing at me. When people laugh at me the voices tell me to light fires. I'm not supposed to listen to the bad voices.

The voices are telling you to light farts, not fires!! Just listen to them next time, it will be ok!