I'm always afraid to go to the end of late registration, everyone has big stacks already, and it seems to me that there are very few chances left
1) Big stacks are overrated. A double up or triple up early does not increase the chances of cashing/winning as much as you think it does.
2) Where I play (chico), if I late register at the last possible second the bubble (ITM) is often very close. In this situation a double up is very valuable and often is a guarantee I will cash (and possibly go very deep).
3) Use sharkscope
to start looking at player's ITM %, to get a good feel for what is average. You will find that players who play from the beginning are cashing 20-30% (if they are good).
4) Now consider how you can beat this ITM% with a late reg strategy. I would suggest picking a spot which you perceive to be 50/50 equity
or better and jamming pre. Remember, you are so close to the bubble that 1 double up usually gets you ITM.
5) Game selection is critical. Only reg games that you can see are "close" to ITM or games you perceive as "easy to cash."
6) Instead of playing for hours for a 20-30% of cashing, I play for 5-10 minutes and have a 40-50% chance of cashing (and it's aggressive so I am not just min cashing, I am going for the win). Once I'm in the money, I am happy to play for longer!
7) You will never reenter, saving you many many buyins (and increasing your ROI).
P.S. Look up "Jbillie" and "Mr. Tao Jones" on Sharkscope to see how I am doing with my late reg strategy.