Balancing work and playing poker

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its hard, the hardest part is not being tired mentally and physically. And being able to fully concentrate.

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course it,s a little bit hard to play, and especially to play good, if you have a job and also a kid, anyway maybe sometimes it,s still possible to play in your leisure time.
Also it,s important to say, that not all people in different families like, when somebody in the family play poker games.
Of course some people play poker professionally, so they have lots of free time.
All depends on the question, do you trust to online poker, or not.
I believe the best decision is to have a job and play poker in your leisure time.
In this way you will save your nerves and not loose lots of your own money.
Right now rooms offer lots of freerolls and good promotions, just choose some of them and play it for fun.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm always afraid to go to the end of late registration, everyone has big stacks already, and it seems to me that there are very few chances left

1) Big stacks are overrated. A double up or triple up early does not increase the chances of cashing/winning as much as you think it does.

2) Where I play (chico), if I late register at the last possible second the bubble (ITM) is often very close. In this situation a double up is very valuable and often is a guarantee I will cash (and possibly go very deep).

3) Use sharkscope to start looking at player's ITM %, to get a good feel for what is average. You will find that players who play from the beginning are cashing 20-30% (if they are good).

4) Now consider how you can beat this ITM% with a late reg strategy. I would suggest picking a spot which you perceive to be 50/50 equity or better and jamming pre. Remember, you are so close to the bubble that 1 double up usually gets you ITM.

5) Game selection is critical. Only reg games that you can see are "close" to ITM or games you perceive as "easy to cash."

6) Instead of playing for hours for a 20-30% of cashing, I play for 5-10 minutes and have a 40-50% chance of cashing (and it's aggressive so I am not just min cashing, I am going for the win). Once I'm in the money, I am happy to play for longer!

7) You will never reenter, saving you many many buyins (and increasing your ROI).

P.S. Look up "Jbillie" and "Mr. Tao Jones" on Sharkscope to see how I am doing with my late reg strategy. ;)

C

CTPA3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
P.S. Look up "Jbillie" and "Mr. Tao Jones" on Sharkscope to see how I am doing with my late reg strategy.
I looked at the Sharkscope and compared it with my own, how sad everything is for me)) I will try to apply your tactics) and what structure do you play? deepstacks?

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never had a problem with balancing those two, work came first. Might have made some bad choices on other aspect of my life though. Any more it is pretty low on my choice of things to do.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There will be a balance if poker is only a hobby. It is simply unrealistic for me to play poker professionally, and I think for the most part it is impossible to combine.

bosskms

bosskms

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to play all the time. At least 12 hours or more daily. Now that I'm working again I just can't make that happen and that is ok. My priority is work to make money over poker so I can have money to pay bills and then play some poker.

Sivraj

Sivraj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I work in a restaurant so whenever I have like a 2 hour lunch break I'll probably play some cash game and try to make good pay if I can. When I'm off work and got the time I'll play it.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I looked at the Sharkscope and compared it with my own, how sad everything is for me)) I will try to apply your tactics) and what structure do you play? deepstacks?

Hey, don't be sad. That's not why I wanted you to look me up. I just wanted you to see that I know what I'm talking about and that you are getting advice from someone who actually makes money playing.

Be happy, you are doing the work to get better! :)

I play all structures (deepstack, regular, rebuy and addon) but I pay attention to what I do best in. I'd say the structure I play the least is PKO MTTs (because late regging is more of a risk in these games). I mostly play "regular" and deepstack mtts and I prefer 8 handed tables.

Please feel free to ask me anything.

I am here to share my knowledge (and hopefully gain more). ;)

TrpeLoco

TrpeLoco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can play poker at work in the night shift on my cell phone for a few hours, and for a few hours at home

Djon25

Djon25

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Better to play poker in winter when it gets dark in advance and there is nothing to do:cool:

UNE_Aces

UNE_Aces

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to play with poker and watch something like films at the same time, to keep calm myself

P

pwalker4201977

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of the people I play with just play poker. They are good enough to just play smart n be patient

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you stay on pc 8 hours a day for the main job I find it difficult to stay another hours in pc

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
My profession allows me to have time to play. I can usually play around 3-4 hours, this allows me to earn money from my work and poker

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How do people have time to play poker all the time either you dont work stay with mommy daddy witch must be nice if you do or retired I have to work got a kid it hard to find time to do anything but that's life for yea just that I vent she what everybody else thinks about it
Hello, I think that each person chooses for himself what he plays poker for, or this is the main income or this is a hobby for you, and based on this you need to allocate time! It seems to me that most of the people playing poker are amateurs and poker for them is just a hobby, entertainment in their free time! The main thing is to enjoy the game and the rest will come with experience! I wish you good luck at the tables!

Bennoda

Bennoda

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I work freelance and can easily manage poker and work I work day and night I play poker

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
hello

sometimes it is difficult to balance .. for now I have not had problems with that issue!

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally people who play constantly (or at least several hours a day) are professional players who treat this as job, students or retired persons who have enough free time. Most of the people who are recreational players have to balance between their full time job, family duties and other hobbies. This balance can sometimes be difficult but my most recent experience is that it also depends very much on you. We take too many things for granted and do too many things as a habit. Many people get home from work, eat, do some housekeeping, watch TV and go to sleep. If you wish you can in fact rearrange your schedule so that at the end you will be surprised how many things you are able to do in single day.

T

The Long Shot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1) Now consider how you can beat this ITM% with a late reg strategy. I would suggest picking a spot which you perceive to be 50/50 equity or better and jamming pre. Remember, you are so close to the bubble that 1 double up usually gets you ITM.

Hey I'm really glad this strategy is working well for you, but aiming to find a spot to flip 50/50 (in a limited number of chances, given your short stack) doesn't feel like a viable long term strategy to me - more like tossing a coin or betting on red.

Late reg strategy does have some upsides, as you say, but what if you think about it like this?
- everyone else is starting this tournament with 150 BBs
- you're starting it with 10 BBs

DPo320

DPo320

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, it balances itself out since I have an active lifestyle besides a Fulltime Job. Poker is just not a huge priority to Me.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey I'm really glad this strategy is working well for you, but aiming to find a spot to flip 50/50 (in a limited number of chances, given your short stack) doesn't feel like a viable long term strategy to me - more like tossing a coin or betting on red.

Late reg strategy does have some upsides, as you say, but what if you think about it like this?

The advantage of starting with 150BBs, or of gaining an early chip lead is significantly overrated.

To answer your question:

Most of these players are already eliminated when I register, but this response mostly detracts from the main point. I don't care what players did before I entered. I game select by looking at a few (very important) factors. If the ITM bubble is close (i.e 44 paid and only 60ish left) and a double up would almost guarantee I am ITM (sometimes simply folding into the money prior to taking a flip occurs).

If these conditions are met, a "coinflip" gets me ITM with a very reasonable chance at a deep run. In these conditions, I am cashing well above the average ITM% (I'm currently at ~44% ITM) and I am playing in an aggressive manner which ensures deep runs when I'm holding in my key spots.

The moral of the story?

Poker players tend to overvalue their own skill levels and (inaccurately) assume they have an advantage by playing longer/earlier levels.

Me?

I just play the math and I take what the MTT gives me. :)

Yes, usually I am. :)

My first objective of any MTT is to quickly adapt to my table conditions and identify the spots I can exploit. Sometimes I get "jam" happy and can pick up steal after steal, and other times I am forced to go into a "shell" and wait for a flip I am satisfied with.

If I can get it in with 45% equity or greater, my job is done well. :)

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's just another hobby for me. Had some periods in the past that I was fully dedicated to it playing everyday 6+ hours. I just don't enjoy it so much anymore.

Xcoder

Xcoder

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play poker about once a week. Even when I had a busy schedule I found plenty of time to play, I just didn't buy into games I knew I could be stuck for hours playing, mainly cash tables.