Baiting for a big win

iceflare85

iceflare85

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thoughts on losing a few hands purposely in a show down to win bigger pots later on. Like bating for a bigger pot later in the game.

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No

No, I never loss a poker pot on purpose ever. That seems a crazy idea to me.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I assume you meant baiting.

Yes, I will on occasion purposely lose a hand for a variety of reasons.

F

formertroll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i will only bait in one circumstance. online if i have a dead stack to my left and i'm SB and it folds to me...i'll sometimes tank and call, then tank and check, tank check, tank check and see the showdown for the 2bb against the dead stack so everyone thinks i'm an idiot. that only works at a point in the tournament when you're fresh to a new table but there's plenty of chips around to play with. also works if you have a huge stack because they will assume you got them all on a stupid all in that got lucky.

maybe people don't pay attention to that, but if i ever see someone lose to a dead stack i try to pick on them later.

luiaguila

luiaguila

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you mean losing with some cards that your opponent would not expect you to have that is a way to vary your game so that in a future hands your opponent does not know what kind of cards you can have but to do that you must impose a game image solid and in a hand that went to the bottom you decide to go to the end that if losing very few chips

T

TpaEnforcement

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would never lose on pots to win big hands. I play the same all the time cause sometimes trying to win big pots with the best hand at the start unfortunately don't hold up where I find you need luck.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I remember, long ago, setting up a player over several orbits, had him thinking exactly what I wanted him thinking. Then someone else swooped in for that kill......:( That someone else knew exactly what I was doing.....we lol'd afterwards.

iceflare85

iceflare85

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I did mean to confuse the players at the table. Making them think that you do not know what you are doing. I do find this strategy only works at a fresh table and can only be done a couple of times before players catch on that you were baiting them.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I did mean to confuse the players at the table. Making them think that you do not know what you are doing. I do find this strategy only works at a fresh table and can only be done a couple of times before players catch on that you were baiting them.

I'm thinking it will work over a much longer hand count rather than just at a fresh table. Especially true if you run across the same player(s) over and over. Variations on this theme abound. You may get only a single big score against your 'target', so making it work out over a longer period gets tricky. This strategy works for both Tourney and Ring.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never lose on purpose but I will make some questionable calls to show the table that I am spewing. Trying to trap someone into thinking I’m gonna be weaker than them.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I lose enough through bad luck, bad process, bad karama - you name it. There's no way in hell I'm losing one on purpose!

635927444861007910-1234875017_anigif_enhanced-20001-1391980840-11.gif

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah when I was a beginner I might have shown a loser. Not now. I will show at show down a lot times when it's time to flip in live games. I can't stand players that refuse to turn over their own cards. I would never ever lose a pot on purpose