Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
What do you attribute your defeats, bad luck or bad play?
Most of my losses in poker come from bad plays or bad decisions.
Open your heart:).

W

whitetailbuck10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Excellent question..... you got me thinking now.....

This is only a guess, and I don't play much for bigger more expensive games, but I would say 40% of my defeats are bad play and 40% are bad beats (that are close) and 20% are just outright bad beats where the person shouldn't have even played. But those bad beats are higher on some sites than others for sure...... and it's not the sites fault, it is just the way people play on certain sites.

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
As I only play freerolls, my biggest flaw is finding that villain most of the time is trying to steal, especially when villain is very aggressive or is a calling station.
I usually review my hand histories and some plays I confess that my call is bad, after analyzing I could have played differently, but as I get that eagerness to catch the villain, I end up making mistakes.
Most of the time I will lose to variance, as I play few tournaments a day, and bed beats will appear.
I don't think I can blame it on bad luck, for the bad plays I make, or for the bed beats I take, after all this is poker and it will always happen.:)(y)

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

At gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.

-Ian Fleming

kunkgreen

kunkgreen

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Probably most are my mistakes... but it's every cooler and bad beat I take that wtf! hahahaha
Taking 3% several times a day is sucks! =/

We usually don't remember what we give and only what we receive, but there's still something very wrong with this proportion!

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
Most are bad plays, with a smaller amount just bad luck- various coolers, flip lost, etc.

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When the hand is good, but we lose on the river, I think it's bad luck. When the hand is bad and we're still trying, I think you're playing poorly. But this condition will depend a lot on how we play each hand. In poker there is no single rule as absolute truth.

mushthebush

mushthebush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I totally attribute it to bad play but, and trust me on this, it is always bad luck. It's gotta be. I mean I never make any mistake, ever, and I'm sure this applies to everyone here. But that bleedin river card always catches me out when the pot is way to big for me to fold any two cards.

No sarcasm, I just said something nice, not something just utterly stupid and somewhat funny as I usually do.

So yeah, ignore luck, it's just a technicality. It's all about skill, is it?

Jokes aside, I actually look over everything every time and I try to replay it several times in my head, run the numbers and figure out if I decided correctly or if I should watch out for certain situations in the future. Some losses are perfectly fine and in my opinion if I would win most of the time against most of that cheeky bastard's whole range but lose against that one single hand that beats me, I would repeat my mistake because in the long run, the numbers go in my favour. Of course, some players, some situations, the actions and everything... yeah... it doesn't always work out right, especially in quick fold tables against random fellas, so I stick to ranges. And yes, they do bluff, stupidly sometimes, not always but I'm often really proud of my hero calls based on my chances "most of the time".

Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I always take responsibility for my results. Nevertheless, quite often I understand that I made the right decision, but I was unlucky. This is poker and I think all we can do is have fun playing the right game.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know many times I don't have the patience to wait for the best hand so I would say 50% bad plays and 50% bad beats.

F

Fushicho

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its always bad luck. I play perfectly and the rights card never come! Darn cards!

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't look at losing a hand as a defeat. You cannot win every hand just like a professional baseball player does not have a perfect batting average or a NBA super star make every shot. Yes, you can make bad plays and you can make bad decisions, but they are learning and growing experiences. You can also play a hand perfectly and still lose -- but there are usually positives that you can take away from it. Such as, I was playing a love $2/5 game. 3 limpers and I am on the button with KQs. I raise to $20 and get 1 caller. Flop comes Q66 with two diamonds. Caller (HJ) checks, I bet and he calls. I think he has a worse Q, a flush draw and maybe he has a 6 or an underpair to the board. Turn is 9s, he checks, I check behind. River is Th. He bets a little under half pot. I really feel like he has a 6 here and is value betting me to get a call but I call anyway. He turns over J6s. So, I made a "bad decision" calling the river but it was also a positive because I now know that he is calling big raises OOP preflop with a lot of suited garbage. So, while I suffered a defeat in that hand, I gained valuable information to use in the future against that opponent.

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I have had and do have hands in which I play badly, and from those I learn for the next one.
I also think that I can think of a lot of games in which, no matter how well you play, bad luck affects a lot.
I can't set a percentage.
Cheers:):):)

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There's no such thing as luck in poker. You lose because you failed to take the hand down when the odds were in your favor. If the odds were never in your favor and you added chips to the pot then you also have played the hand bad. Whether that be preflop or all the way down to the river poker is just a game of odds.

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think I play decently, I suffer more from the lack of a bankroll that keeps me alive longer.

bra01

bra01

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most of my losses in poker come from most of the time is trying to steal

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In my opinion, it's a little bit of my mistakes, sometimes the flop doesn't hit, sometimes it's a little bit of bad luck too an example that happened now I'm holding a pair of 88 the flop came 287 the opponent bet and I 3bet the opponent did all-in with a pair of TT turn came 9 and on the river a 6 giving a straight to the opponent I believe this hand was unlucky

"Poker is an unpredictable game, with the turn of one card you can become a millionaire. And with the turn of the second card you can become a beggar"

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Rather bad luck. I played 4 tournaments tonight and not a single good card came in. You feel like giving up poker with such cards.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The whole paradox of playing bad players lies in the fact that bad players do not see their mistakes and think that they are doing the right thing, but they just have no luck !!! But in order to win, it is not enough to enter the game with the correct range of hands, but even after that you need to make the right decisions in accordance with the current situation !!! Unfortunately, I still have a lot of mistakes both pre-flop and post-flop!!!

MrHachiman

MrHachiman

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Both of them.
In the long run, if you are consistent most could be attributed to bad luck. Since you are supposed to be taking good spots with odds in your favor, but, this doesn't mean that you cannot improve or make mistakes. We are humans.
A great way I see to notice and improve this aspect is to review all the biggest pots lost. Some will be due to bad luck, but you will also be able to detect the mistakes that cost you a lot of chips and if you take note that you did wrong, you will not repeat it in the future.

testing826

testing826

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
mosty bad plays i tend to mini bet when i should allin i try too much to get most players in pot river is bad luck

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I attribute my losses more to bad luck, it even seems to me that poker rooms play along with some players.:mad:;)

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
The same thing happens to me, there are times when luck is not on our side and I think that as a result of this, bad decisions also happen.