Bad Days and Why? do you know...

TexasPokerStar

TexasPokerStar

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Everyone,

There are a lot of great players out there... for some of us, it's a daily grind, at the poker tables... and for others it's just a way to pass the time between work breaks, and meetings...

We have all experienced really awesome days, and really bad days... and here is my input so you can avoid the BAD DAYS...

BAD DAYS: it's a day when even when you flop the nuts you get out donked by another player. A day that just doesn't seem to fly your way even if you are a solid poker player.

Top Indicators to Avoid a Bad Day:

1) High Traffic Volume at the Tables. If there are way too many players online, you know they are bound to cause some problems on your game.

2) Weekend High Volumes due to Televised Poker Events. It seems that when poker is on TV, people get the itch to play some poker, so that drives traffic up to the sites. So try and avoid playing too much on the weekends.

3) if you play more then 5 sit-n-go's and you loose them all, perhaps it's a good indicator to leave the tables, and go get some fresh air.

Top Days to Play:

1) My best days to play have been Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. My Reason behind this is that during the week players tend to have day jobs, and couldn't really focus on the game while they should be focusing on their work.

2) Thursdays have been my best days, what ever I loose on the weekends... I always make it back on this day, it seems people are tired of the work week and are just waiting for the weekend. Perhaps this means they are less focused on what they are doing and how they play.

This are my ideas and theories behind Bad Days and Good Days at the online poker Tables...

But am always open to hear some new suggestions from you guys...

T

thirteenlisk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2) Weekend High Volumes due to Televised Poker Events. It seems that when poker is on TV, people get the itch to play some poker, so that drives traffic up to the sites. So try and avoid playing too much on the weekends.

No offense, but most of one's money should be coming from "recreational" players.

3) if you play more then 5 sit-n-go's and you loose them all, perhaps it's a good indicator to leave the tables, and go get some fresh air.

I agree. You should definitely have a threshold and know when you just won't be playing your best.

Falloooooon

Falloooooon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Um, I pretty much disagree with all of that. Your post is a riff on the idea that some people have that they'd be winning players if only the other players weren't so bad. Or in this case, distracted by poker on tv...ROFL.

There are bad days. They are random. And even if they weren't the more active days would be the better ones to play.

Cope with bad days in whatever way works for you.

ericgarner118

ericgarner118

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty much everything I do is the opposite of what you just said. The best people to play against are the ones that just saw the re-run of wsop and doesn't know much about poker. You want to be playing on the days where there are alot of people on and playing. The more people that are on, the more likely that there is a lot more bad people playing. Yeah you may suffer a lot more bad beats, but if you have your money in when you are ahead, you will win in the long run. If that works for you, that is great, but I think if you played more during the times that you don't like, you could pull in a lot more money

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If that works for you, that is great, but I think if you played more during the times that you don't like, you could pull in a lot more money

Generally yes, you want to play bad players and despite bad beats, you'll come out on top long term.

However, there is undoubtedly a psychological impact on alot of players who are good players, but when things go bad against bad players, they tilt or just don't play the way they are capable of playing. So if you know this about yourself, you shouldn't try to do what is general, just for the sake of what everyone else says.

He should continue to play on Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri because those are the days where he does well and feels the most comfortable. Use those days to build his roll to the point where he can play on Wed, Sat, and Sun and take the beats that will come and not feel bad about it.

If you have $1,000 and you lose $1 five times, I don't think anyone would get upset about it. But if you have $30 and you lose $1 five times, you just lost 1/6 of your roll and you are going to be ticked. And it's really not that hard to run into 5 situations on a weekend where you get your money in 75-25 or 80-20 favorite and lose to these bad players. So you'd be playing correct, good poker and you'd be doing proper BRM, but you'd be losing 1/6th of your roll.

S

Syfted

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think OP has got a little spurious regression here... just because you've noticed a correlation between these likely unrelated variables doesn't mean that a correlation actually exists.

You're probably just noticing short-term statistical noise.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand what the OP is trying to say and a year ago I would have agreed. But now that I understand the game more.... its just completely wrong.

You want to play these players who overvalue their cards and bluff on every street. They are easy to play!!

The problem is that they are level 0 thinkers.. you cannot 'out play' them. So c-bet bluffs will fail more often.. well crafted bluffs on the river will be called with an over-pair etc, etc.

Rather than thinking that somehow bad players have an advantage over you (which is the crux of the argument) think more along the lines of what simple adjustments you need to make to your game to beat them.

Personally I hardly ever bluff beond the flop.. and I don't begin c-betting until I have taken a few pots down.

I play only good cards, but I will steal in position with a wider range of cards.

It very ABC.. its slow, its boring, but its guaranteed cash.

Monoxide

Monoxide

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmmmm, why do high traffic days = bad?

Would you want more traffic like, always? The more traffic on a site the better, as there will be more fish usually and recreational players. On a say... tuesday morning/afternoon... is never going to be better then a saturday or sunday morning/afternoon. The sheer volume of bad players grows on weekends and they are the best days to play.

I still say this even though I won alot of money during the week, and lost it all on saturday/sunday. I just ran really bad but I know that the weekends are still the best and most profitable times to play, the table vpip% is just wayyy higher, less nits and regs.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take the opposite of everything in the OP and you'd be pretty much bang on.

konawajim

konawajim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is my 2 cents :) I avoid freerolls at all cost on the weekend ( except cardchats ). It's very hard to cash with the all in with nothing but a prayer player. It seems they ALL come out to play on the weekend. Some of them do sneak into a buy in here and there but for the most part ( unless your playing something cheap ) the buy in's have been a safe place for me on the weekend. And in if I lose a few I take a break and something else do. :D

xxmommaxx

xxmommaxx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good Day Bad Day Any Day

In my several years of online experience, ANY day of the week could be a good day or a bad day. Some of your bad days may be due to goofy people, but it could also be that you are just having a bad day.

Maybe you are not thinking clearly...you have something else on your mind...your jerk boss at work, your teenage son who neglected to take out the overflowing garbage, your puppy that just pooped on the floor and you had to clean it up and it got under your fingernails.... who knows, but a bad day can happen at any time in my experience... :D

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to play on absolute poker exclusively for about 1 1/2 yrs. During the week and during the day, I would play in tournaments and know about half the players by first name. The $5 and $10 mtts in the morning were fun because they had 30-40 people and the $20s had about 20. These games were fun, but really hard, because all the players knew each other and you were playing against all sharks. Then at night and on the weekends, all of us daytime sharks prowled on the fish.