Bad beats and PMA!!!

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Total posts
Hi all.

Just like to share this with anyone who is being hit by bad beats and still not getting over them, or going on tilt on a regular basis.

This might help.

Up until recently I would go on major tilt, lose it major style, threaten to quit playing (on more than one occassion - I`m sure the regulars will remember my rants) and more :mad:

Now I am comming to terms with bad beats and starting to handle them well :cool:

Here is what helps me...I don`t think about a bad beat as `luck` any more. I think of `probabilities`

If you think about it, pre flop the best position you can be in is about 7/1 fav to win the pot. So if in that position someone sucks u out, I sit and think "the probability of that happening is 7/1, so I will probably win the next 6" It might sound silly, but its about a PMA (positive mental attitude - the glass is always 1/2 full)

And if I get 2 bad beats in a row, even better, because the probability of that happening again for a while is remote, 3 in a row, well, its like all my birthdays have come at once :D - I`m bound to go on a Jamie Gold run soon!!!

Just wanted to share that with you guys :)

P.S. It could be, of course, that I have had a mental breakdown :stoned:
progress.gif

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Total posts
But what do I do about bad beats and PMS?

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Total posts
But what do I do about bad beats and PMS?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Think to yourself "Not only will I probably have a great poker week next week but I`ll also be in less discomfort and save cash on feminine hygiene products"

PMA !!!

S

siganara

Rising Star
Total posts
Again me

Once upon a time a bad beat, jajajajaja. Usualy I try to be better player, and I have learned, I must remember only things that can help me. BB? BB is big blind, I dont know any other words with that first letters. If I am playing, I can win (nice) or loose (what a pity), but I enjoy that game. If I want to be a winner, I must play as well as I Know, and I know that I can loose, next time will be better.

I

IvanShovski

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
If you think about it, pre flop the best position you can be in is about 7/1 fav to win the pot. So if in that position someone sucks u out, I sit and think "the probability of that happening is 7/1, so I will probably win the next 6" It might sound silly, but its about a PMA (positive mental attitude - the glass is always 1/2 full)

And if I get 2 bad beats in a row, even better, because the probability of that happening again for a while is remote, 3 in a row, well, its like all my birthdays have come at once :D - I`m bound to go on a Jamie Gold run soon!!!
I don't want to bring you down, but what you describe is known as the Gambler's Fallacy.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

fugitive67

Rock Star
Total posts
i look at it more from the standpoint of did my opponent make a bad play and get lucky
those def. are painful, but what i've found out is that a lot of the time my opponent made a reasonable play and got lucky ... (i.e. they were short stacked with AQ and pushed and i had AK and they flop a Q)

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Total posts
All the points u guys make are valid.
Please not when I listed this post...7th June 2007, 8:29 PM

At the time a lot of people were going on about bad beats and I was throwing in my thoughts.

And yes, it might be Gambler's Fallacy. But anything that works to get your mind back on the right track can`t be laughed at.

I like the way lots of people on this site say "Concentrate on playing well, thats all you need to do". I`m sure a very, very small % can do that, but for most people to say that, its BS !!!

You all trying to say u never ever go on tilt...bollox !!!

T

tcummo

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
review the bad beat and ask yourself
'did i play the hand correctly or could i have
done something different'
learn from it and move on.
keep smilin'
gl

gefishy

gefishy

Enthusiast
Total posts
I agree. Today for example, I have been beaten by folks who decided to push against me pre-flop after I re-raised the top bet 3x when I had KK. Now maybe I was too aggressive, but the first time somebody called with 88 and turned an 8. The second time I was called by AA and by 82 off.

This is prime tilting criteria for me but honestly, I didn't make the wrong play I was just unfortunate. Positive thinking could save folks a lot of money. Just sayin'.

I

icantfeelmyface

Rising Star
Total posts
Online bad beats are so common its disgusting. I'd be a rich man if that never happened.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Total posts
Online bad beats are so common its disgusting. I'd be a rich man if that never happened.

No different to bad beats live.

In poker, pre flop, you are going to be about a 5:1 fav. Obviously good odds, but it simply means u will lose 1 in every 5.

This is a well worn argument, discussion, so I won`t go on about it again ;)

O

Oil_Fan

Rock Star
Total posts
The way I look at is that I've had my fair share of suck outs and handed the other person a bad beat.

For example I had A,Qo and went AI vs K,K. Q on the flop and another on turn giving me trips. I'm more than a 2-1 underdog preflop here and yet I came out on top.

To me this is no different than it being the other way around. I just laugh when me taking the bad beat. And as long as I played the hand correctly, then I can deal with them getting their hand.