The Art Of War, Sun Tzu

Spannerdeth

Spannerdeth

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I recently read this book and I felt like some parts had a poetic correlation with games of variance such as Poker, thanks to Doyle Brunsons quote 'Poker is war, people pretend it's a game'. Here are some of my favorites I noted down:

"When able to attack, we must seem unable. When far away, we must make the enemy believe we are near, and near we must make them believe we are far away. All warfare is based on deception."

"If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak that he may grow arrogant. If he is taking ease, give him no rest."

"Practice dissimulation and you will succeed. Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt."

"Indirect tactics, efficiently applied, are inexhaustible as Heaven & Earth, unending as the flow of rivers and streams. Like Sun & Moon, they end but to begin anew, like the four seasons, the pass away to return oncemore.
There are not more than 5 musical notes, yet combinations of these five produce more melodies than can ever be heard.
There are no more than the primary colours, yet in combination, they produce more hues than can ever be seen.
There are no more than the cardinal tastes (sour, acrid, salt, sweet, bitter), yet combinations of them yield more flavours than can ever be tasted.
In battle, there are no more than two methods of attack, the direct and the indirect. Yet these two in combination give rise to an endless series of maneuvers."

"All can see the tactics whereby I conquer, but none can see the strategy out of which victory is evolved. Do not repeat the tactics which have gained one victory but let your methods be regulated by the infinite variety of circumstances.
Tactics are like unto water, for water in its natural course runs away from high places and hastens downwards. So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and strike at what is weak. Just as water retains no constant shape, so in warfare there are no constant conditions"

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I read this years ago based on prominent coaches speaking about it. It is good book for any form of competition.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"The Art of War" is a road map for life in almost every situation you may encounter. I read it 30 years ago and again 25 years ago and now that you bring it up, I may read it again.

P

pvenditto88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The art of war is a very good book/theory and should be used in all parts of life.