Anyone here play poker as their primary source of income?

S

SlowcalaPro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont have a problem with anybody thats willing to put their money in front of me and give me the chance to take it. Whether youre a fish, shark, donkey, dead money, whatever. It doesnt matter to me. Turning a profit on poker is simple once you learn how to deal with people and their different playing styles. I read too many blogs and forum posts from players worried about starting hands and what cards they are willing to play and not play. They should be more worried about deciphering what cards their opponents are willing to play.:D

Q

quads

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Turning a profit on poker is simple once you learn how to deal with people and their different playing styles.:D

Guess it's just a matter of time before there will no more losers to take money from. Once we all learn this simple prophecy.

S

SlowcalaPro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Not true Quads. There are a great many people playing poker that either are incapable of reaching, or dont have the desire to reach, the level of play required to constantly profit from poker. Theyre easy to find. Theyre the ones screaming about how poker is all luck and/ or how online poker is rigged.
The simple fact is that some people are smarter than others. There will always be someone better than the next guy. The poker Brat said it best. If it wasnt for luck, the smartest players would always win. Its possible to never make a mistake and still lose, but its the players that make the fewest mistakes that profit in the long run. Like I said, not everyone is capable of playing at that level, so there will always be people to take money from.

pokerjdud

pokerjdud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i consider myself a pro...your only a pro if you lose on a consistent basis ;)

G

goodfella

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play for fun, but I take very seriously this job ^^

A

Adventurebound2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Another key thing to realize is that Im not single, Im married. And since my wife has an excellent career, things like health insurance are taken care of on her end.

Young players who are single or dont have the support I have will have a harder tme of it. Im just spoiled and lucky to be married to a great girl.

Where can I find one of these girls????????? I ain't even gonna try for Kathy Liebert, too much competition around here for her!

S

SlowcalaPro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
LMAO
I worked 60 hrs a week to put my wife through college for 6 years. She has a job she loves and is basically her own boss. Ive found the best place to find great girls like this are at church (seriously). If you can stay awake, churches, especially baptist churches are chock full of hot, young women. I have no idea why. Maybe God likes hotties. You have to put a little more effort into them, as opposed to catholic girls:eek: , but Ive found its worth it in the long run. Like I said, now Im just a spoiled kept man.:D

A

Adventurebound2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I was married to a Catholic girl once.....ONCE! Unfortunately for me she's the reason I've became a transplant from Arizona to the midwest. Hard to find a hottie locally because around this area the beef ain't the only thing corn fed! :( Used to go to a Lutheren church, probably the biggest church in the area but there sure wasn't any supply of hotties there, just a couple (extremely well) cornfed ones. My Jeep can only handle a 500 pound payload........

Do yourself a favor in advance partner...Never take your's for granted, treat her well, Seriously!....Sounds like you have a geat one!

Does she has any sisters named Kathy?:D

S

SlowcalaPro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
See what I mean about those Catholic girls?! Scary. LOL

Yeah, I have a great wife. Weve been together 7 years now, so I think I have her "pot committed". :deal:

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another key thing to realize is that Im not single, Im married. And since my wife has an excellent career, things like health insurance are taken care of on her end.

Young players who are single or dont have the support I have will have a harder tme of it. Im just spoiled and lucky to be married to a great girl.

^^^this is the way to go, :D! I did just got a real j.o.b. however :(, part time dealing blackjack.

Anyway, like most things you need money to make money, and spending portions of your bankroll for life expenses can keep you from moving up to stakes that would support full time play.

Tygran

Tygran

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^^this is the way to go, :D! I did just got a real j.o.b. however :(, part time dealing blackjack.

out of curiosity AG..what does it take to get a job as a professional dealer?

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
out of curiosity AG..what does it take to get a job as a professional dealer?

A 100 to 120 hour course from a state sanctioned/certified school; oh, and a year and a half of waiting.

arahel_jazz

arahel_jazz

Unbalanced and Committed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was married to a Catholic girl once.....ONCE! Unfortunately for me she's the reason I've became a transplant from Arizona to the midwest. Hard to find a hottie locally because around this area the beef ain't the only thing corn fed! :( Used to go to a Lutheren church, probably the biggest church in the area but there sure wasn't any supply of hotties there, just a couple (extremely well) cornfed ones. My Jeep can only handle a 500 pound payload........

Do yourself a favor in advance partner...Never take your's for granted, treat her well, Seriously!....Sounds like you have a geat one!

Does she has any sisters named Kathy?:D

Caution... :deal: my Mrs. is Nebraska bred, and has had several first cousins on the offensive line of the Cornhuskers... She can also out bench-press me...

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A 100 to 120 hour course from a state sanctioned/certified school; oh, and a year and a half of waiting.

what sort of stuff do they teach you for it to take 100 hours?

B

baconn

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the average professional poker player makes like $500/hour when they play poker. Top pro players make like $2000+/hour playing hour. Unless you win a really big tournament, it's a up and down ride having poker as your primary source of income.

woodwidgeon

woodwidgeon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Young players who are single or don't have the support I have will have a harder time of it. I'm just spoiled and lucky to be married to a great girl.
Same here, my wife works, a Wildlife Biologist, insur etc,etc is all paid so i play poker. It's nice to think big, but it's really how much you set a goal for $'s. I am happy w/ 1200 a month. & thats hard work, lotta hours. Don't want to be a pro! tough job, to many ups & downs, to old.

B

brettyetman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
there are many things to you can do. but socal had it right you have to have a back up plan. i did some saving and got myself like 4 months worth of rent saved up and the whole time i was working i was putting money aside for my bankroll and playing a little to add to that. Fortunately, for me i live extremely close to Atlantic City. I wanted to see if i could win consistently at first and it wasn't about the money. I play 2-4 limit if i said if i could play that and have five winning sessions i would just work my way up all the limits if i lost one of those i would go back to the next limit. That was three years ago. i am now playing the 20-40 games consistently and winning almost $3000 a week. I do play some tournaments hear and there but you have to play ring games to buy in the tournaments. If you don't you are just losing your money if you don't cash. I personally think there is no such thing as a pro who only plays tournaments. You also should keep perfect records of the sessions. How much you bought in? How much you cashed out? Tips to the dealer and so on...

Give it a shot.

vanpampus

vanpampus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My advice to you: get rich and then play poker, and you'll see how money comes to you, but, if you are broke you'll tend to get poorer.

Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I imagine it would be extraordinarily difficult to become a professional poker player, because one bad session of tilt can leave you completely broke. Poker would be such an unstable job, you should be sure you can win at high limits on a regular basis, and you should also have your emotions under control!

This is an older post and don't know if it was mentioned before, but if you're a "pro" poker player but still stupid enough to tilt away your br then you really deserve it because that's a very amateur mistake.

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the average professional poker player makes like $500/hour when they play poker. Top pro players make like $2000+/hour playing hour. Unless you win a really big tournament, it's a up and down ride having poker as your primary source of income.
no offense but the average pro does not make that much
the average pro might play 5-10nl and 10-20nl with a 30 to 60K{if they havent gone broke}
so i would say the average pro might only make 100$ at most an hour
ivey is said to make something like 3325$ an hour tho

MrGoodFlop

MrGoodFlop

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What about if you are retired;
does it make sense to expect to be able to supplement you retirement income with online poker?