Anyone else disapointed with ESPN's WSOP coverage this year?

nateofdeath

nateofdeath

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They skipped Helmuth's 10th bracelet, Jeff Madsen breakout preformance and a lot of ones i would have rather seen at least. Tonight they were supposedly going to show the HORSE event, which i was looking forward to even though they played NL hold 'em at the final table for some reason, but instead they showed an event only because Joe Hachem was in it. One Omaha event so far, no hi/low, no stud of any kind, and i have a feeling this trend will continue. the only variety came from the occasional pot or fixed limit match. I mean, i like watching Hachem lose as much as anybody, but it's gotten boring. I think they might set their schedual before the series even starts, but even if that is the case, wouldn't it be smarter to film multiple final tables and show the best ones? Plus the commentary is weaker and more predictable then ever. As one of them said tonight, 'where's Gabe Kaplan when you need him?' sigh... just needed to complain, but i never thought i'd be pineing for the good old days of two years ago.

-n

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think they made a mistake playing the ME first. I much prefer regular order. I watched every episode of the ME and haven't cared to watch any of the others. Last year I watched every episode. I attribute that directly to playing them somewhat in order with the ME coming last.

buckster436

buckster436

Cardschat Hall of Famer - RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They did make a mistake by showing the ME first,, i DIDNT enjoy this years coverage at all,, it was much better in the past>>>>> buck:joyman:

DESSERTLADY

DESSERTLADY

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nate I throughly agree with you on this.
When I was doing the updates on here, I noticed that they didn't film as much as they have in the past.

I am very disappointed with this. You're correct when you said no Stud, no Omaha 8/b they didn't even film the Women's only events at all. Even since Jennifer Tilly won last year was playing again.

Showing the ME first was stupid on ESPN's part they should have left well enough alone. I bet the other events that are showing haven't got half as many viewers that they have had in the past. I know in the last few years for weeks on end, I didn't miss an episode of the wsop coverage on Tuesday Nights. Now I got better things to do than sit there and watch the same NLHEM show!

You know it probably wouldn't hurt to dash off an email to them to complain. It may get them to think about 2007 and go back to the way it was before.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am very disappointed with this. You're correct when you said no Stud, no Omaha 8/b they didn't even film the Women's only events at all. Even since Jennifer Tilly won last year was playing again.

They have Women's only events?!!! That's segregation!!! They don't have Men only events too, do they?:confused:

medeiros13

medeiros13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I pretty much agree with everyone else on this topic. I was anxiously awaiting the HORSE tournament becuase I've just started playing them myself. Unfortunately, they only showed the players playing Hold'em. That isn't what i was hoping for....:mad:

I am also disappointed they haven't shown any of the stud events. I believe they did show 1 or 2 last year. However, I don't recall them ever showing an O8 tournament in the past. I'm not sure they would show that on TV because the uneducated watcher would struggle to understand why the pots were potentially split.

rotty

rotty

I triple dog dare ya
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Huge mistake showing the main so early i think too.
Hopefully next years showing will be the same as last years or even better.:cool:

S

singate

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing that seperated TV coverage of the WSOP was the televising of games other than NL holdem. I've never been a fan of playing either razz or omaha but I rather enjoyed watching the pros do it in years past. No offense to the Circuit events but I would have preferred seeing some stud, razz, or omaha instead of those less meaningful NL tournaments.

Of course showing the main event first was a huge mistake. Who wants to watch $1500 entry tournament after the ME with it's $12 million first prize? That would be like offering someone a tofu burger after they've just eaten filet mignon.

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not showing the HORSE episode was a last second scheduling change. I believe they'll show the final table of HORSE this Tuesday. Of course it's No Limit, so I don't know if they'll even show any actual HORSE. My guess is they switched it so it would be on the last night of their original episodes.

roundcat

roundcat

Creature of leisure
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope you're right, smd173, since I've been looking forward to coverage of the HORSE event too. Was pleased to see Omaha but Omaha 8 is my favorite, and I also would have liked to see the ladies event.

Showing the main event first isn't a problem in my mind... I wouldn't have wanted to wait that long to to see it if they'd held it until the end. Of course, I already knew the outcome and ended up deleting the final half hour in disgust... couldn't take any more of Jamie Gold.

Really, ESPN isn't showing the WSOP events for serious poker players/fans. They're for Joe Average Viewer who thinks Hold 'Em is the only kind of poker there is and wants to watch players they recognize.

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you Round Cat. I enjoyed the PLO, but definitely would have enjoyed watching the Omaha H/L with Sam Farha vs. Phil Ivey heads up.

Plus I really wouldn't have minded if they had broadcast the final table of the event I played in, Stud H/L. It had Jeff Madsen finishing 3rd. But at least I knew it was planned to not be broadcast before I played in it.

I am looking forward to this Tuesday though. The final $2,000 No Limit event they are supposed to show should have me in the crowd behind the winner's family/friends.

As far as the hardcore poker fan goes...I'd have to think that someone must be working on making a Poker Channel.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If your going to cover anything - news, sports even the weather at least you should do it properly :)

Showing the last (almost) event 1st mixed in with other events - bizarre.

Still at least you get to see it in the US (White House loop hole surely! :)) no idea on when we'll see it in the UK :mad:

*so ive downloaded it :p

WSOP