Any one else looking at players country before betting?

silverfox432

silverfox432

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now there are no USA players is anyone else looking at players coutry of origin before betting.... or bluffing...

Come back USA
wink.gif

ie. Russians are going to shove or call you down with btm PP
Estonians are going to chase what ever, and Italians are going to swear at you in the chat what ever happens

Discuss ..

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it's good to generalise, I tend to look at a players tendencies rather than anything else. However, I do agree that there are some similarities between, for example, the majority of Russian players. In my experience, Spaniards are very weak, overall and Dutch are pretty Loose Aggressive. If you know this, you can exploit it. I would, however, warn against sitting down at a table and seeing a Estonian who will chase everything. It's not always the case.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yea, if I look at anything regarding country it is more towards what time of the day it is for them. If they are playing really late on a Friday or Saturday night(their time, not mine, obv) then there is a chance they may be playing after coming home from the bars. Other than that, I let how their playing tell me how to play them instead of what their country is. Not everyone follows the stereotypes, so it isn't always good to generalize.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I have pokerprolabs software & my experience in lower buyin SNG's ($5-$10) the Russian players are actually very often 'winning players', playing a pretty standard sng game. I do notice a bit of a playing style trend relating to countries of origin but not putting too much emphasis on that (ie. Aussies in lowbuyin SNG tend to be callingstations, brazil are often laggy, Italy generally just bad, but these are real generalizations & I'm pretty much treating each player as an individual)

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
TBH its more a kin to English speaking vs non-English speaking countries.

I dont know of any poker training site that isnt in English.

soccerrunner8098

soccerrunner8098

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are definitely some similarities between playing styles with people from the same countries, but you can't sit down at a table and make assumptions. This can get you in a lot of trouble. Just play the player and not the country, it's the safest way to go

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
USA USA USA....Onto a More Serious Note, Yes I believe that players from Certain Countries Suck Ass, and others from the Same Country (Mind you a small Portion of that country are Monsters/Sharks Lurking around, and using that Countries Image to there Advantage)

essambb

essambb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
that really good question but i think good hand is rarely came that i have to look at the nationality before betting any amount
and if i am stuck it make it more unnesserey to check his nationality
i have to only play my hand it dosent call an bet from anyone from any country the money will go to some one else and the other guy will lose it any way

Sven Deuceman

Sven Deuceman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
have to agree i started thinking i was noticing trends and had to stop checking since it was affecting my game adversely. i don't care where you are from anymore if you are a silly shover better duck when i have a monster. but i still put the irish on a bluff 80 percent of the time :)

O

Oil_Fan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
USA USA USA....Onto a More Serious Note, Yes I believe that players from Certain Countries Suck Ass, and others from the Same Country (Mind you a small Portion of that country are Monsters/Sharks Lurking around, and using that Countries Image to there Advantage)
canada!! Canada!! Canada!!!

Sorry..but I had to!! :D

But then again, Canadians and Americans probably have similar tendencies in betting strategies. But has been mentioned, most of the training sites are all in English so that kinda makes sense.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The difference in the play on the tables now without US players is like night & day!! I can't f'n believe how bad they are! Sure this is a great thing for non-US still playing... but fk me variance is brutal. (can't believe how bad they'll get it in.. WoW!!!!)

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yea, if I look at anything regarding country it is more towards what time of the day it is for them. If they are playing really late on a Friday or Saturday night(their time, not mine, obv) then there is a chance they may be playing after coming home from the bars. Other than that, I let how their playing tell me how to play them instead of what their country is. Not everyone follows the stereotypes, so it isn't always good to generalize.

^ this. Exactly this. Generalising any further is just dangerous.

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The difference in the play on the tables now without US players is like night & day!! I can't f'n believe how bad they are! Sure this is a great thing for non-US still playing... but fk me variance is brutal. (can't believe how bad they'll get it in.. WoW!!!!)

I must have been running pretty decent then, cos I seem to be getting it in good most of the time and holding and going deep. Though, not quite far enough to make any big scores. But I've only played maybe 10 tournaments since Saturday and done well in almost all of them.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I must have been running pretty decent then, cos I seem to be getting it in good most of the time and holding and going deep. Though, not quite far enough to make any big scores. But I've only played maybe 10 tournaments since Saturday and done well in almost all of them.
You'd laugh if you saw the HH's from the games I played today. Totally crazy! 90% of hands played are just laughable (ie. players limping utg w Q5o.. flatting a 4bet.. donkbetting flop w BP, check/calling to river;... guy bets T44 flop gets check-raised & then 4bet (pstflop)..snapcalls w 33.. hits a 3 on river, lol; 50bb deep (eff.) raise in EP w AA.. guy 3bets HUGE (4x).. BB min4bets.. I shove.. MP calls w TT? BB folds?? wtf? (yah.. 2-outered). On & on she went. Late at night here (early'ish' morning in Euro time) play is much more solid.... I actually prefer playing then believe it or not. My last one... EP limp.. eMP calls, I raise 5x w QQ (for 1/5 stack).. EP calls w A4o lol... he checks flop.. I cbet 3/4 pot & he calls.. he shoves turn w no FE... I call.. he rivers an Ace, lol. I should prolly be opening up 50tables now... but don't have the stomach for it tbh.

Tom1559

Tom1559

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try not to be influenced by a players country however having said that I do usually check this out and it does influence me. There are some great players from Russia and other eastern bloc countries but in general I agree with your assessment.

midgetfactory

midgetfactory

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

have you been using this to your advnatage? has your profit gone up?

M

MAX101

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is like night an day, has anyone played on UB lately, the play was so bad I actually got bored and went to another site :eek: but getting back to this thread,Romanians seem to me to like to push alot with marginal hands,seem to be really aggressive players? at least to me!

Last edited:
naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is like night an day, has anyone played on UB lately, the play was so bad I actually got bored and went to another site :eek: but getting back to this thread,Romanians seem to me to like to push alot with marginal hands,seem to be really aggressive players? at least to me!

As Someone Once pointed out to me, and Many PPL have also stated to me...What you are thinking at this Present time about there game play and all your bad beats (Thx to Romanians) may in Fact actually be selective Memory, where you Are saying these things about "ALL ROMANIANS" when the truth of the fact is It's only a certain Percentage of them...This Thinking/Way of thought actually leads you to call them down more lightly and thus Your losing more to them then you really like/Tilting you to seek them out more...Or if you Sit down with them (Automatically start thinking. He Crap/Shit/Donk), and this Gets you into Trouble...

This is usually the Advice I receive from the members on here (At least my own take on it), and wanted to pass the message along...

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now there are no USA players is anyone else looking at players coutry of origin before betting.... or Bluffing...

Come back USA
wink.gif

ie. Russians are going to shove or call you down with btm PP
Estonians are going to chase what ever, and Italians are going to swear at you in the chat what ever happens

Discuss ..

^ this.
Except you don't even need to look.

For one time only I'll agree with PO the variance is brutal.
Don't bluff unless you can beat bottom pair anymore.

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When i play on Stars i see Russians everywhere in my micro games, some are good, some are bad...but i like most the players from Spain, because they play too aggressive :-D

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
As Someone Once pointed out to me, and Many PPL have also stated to me...What you are thinking at this Present time about there game play and all your bad beats (Thx to Romanians) may in Fact actually be selective Memory, where you Are saying these things about "ALL ROMANIANS" when the truth of the fact is It's only a certain Percentage of them...This Thinking/Way of thought actually leads you to call them down more lightly < How do you arrive at this conclusion?? Who says this leads to calling them down lightly? and thus Your losing more to them then you really like/Tilting you to seek them out more...Or if you Sit down with them (Automatically start thinking. He Crap/Shit/Donk), and this Gets you into Trouble...

This is usually the Advice I receive from the members on here (At least my own take on it), and wanted to pass the message along...
I go by knowing what their stats. are (& obviously by seeing what hands they're showing down & their betting patterns ie. not too hard to see a guy is a fish when he's min-raising limpers while OOP, or open-raising 20x, or 3bet minbetting, etc. However, on cash tables I do tend to generalize some players by country of origin, ie. 'Spain' (micros) 'typically' very loose, will call down with junk.
As far as the general consensus on the play of micro limit Russian players, I actually find that alot of the micro SNG regs. are Russians & they tend to be quite good (same with germany). Whereas austria & Italy are usually very bad; Austraila pretty bad but not awful; Brazil Super Aggro;

O

only_bridge

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, sometimes I think people do some crazy things vs me just cause Im Swedish.
I have played a lot of country specific satellietes and I can tell you that there are huge fish with money everywhere.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yeah, sometimes I think people do some crazy things vs me just cause Im Swedish.
I have played a lot of country specific satellietes and I can tell you that there are huge fish with money everywhere.
sweden usually 'good' imo (at least the ones I end up playing against ;) ).

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Before Black Friday, I just figured that Russians didn't have a word for fold.

I miss poker stars.

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars