Any college students here?

B

Bentheman87

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've got a bit of a decision to make. I'm a sophomore in college and I had to take out several thousand $s from my full tilt account to pay my bill for last semester and to pay for books this semester and for a few other reasons. I had like $1000 only in my bank account but thousands of $s in my Full Tilt account so I withdrew almost all of my bankroll. I haven't made a deposit since and now I've only got about $200 in my bankroll. But just today I got my scholarship and a few days ago my loan finally disbursed. Should I transfer a couple thousand back to my Full Tilt account and start playing higher stakes or should I keep my money "safe" by keeping it in the bank? Remember, I'm a poor college student, is anyone else in a situation like this?

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not in the same situation, but my advice, for what it's worth would be to try to build from your current bankroll and not redeposit. If you were a senior I'd say go for it but since you've got a few years left your academic future should be more important.

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well i am a poor college student also lol....but i think you should not put the money back in keep it safe....see what you can do with 200$ anything can happen you could slowly but surely bring your BR right back up with discipline!

T

thielcats

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im also a college student.....keep the money safe man. You can do alot with 200 dollars playing online poker.

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am also a college student. Look at this as an opportunity to test your self dicipline. DO NOT redeposit the money and build off what you have, it may teach you in the long run to be a better player than you are now and is an excellent opporunity to exercise propere bankroll management. Good Luck what ever you decide to.

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im not a college student :D
i think u should put some of the money in da bank, u never know when u will need it and u get a bit interest with it
secure some funds in the bank and put a few hundred on the poker site if u really feel like playing higher stakes

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't give the money back to Full Tilt (and no, I'm not a college student) ;)

HartAttack3

HartAttack3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im with pantin, put a couple hundred if u really need to play higher stakes, other than that put it in the bank or take a risk with stocks :-D

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a college student, got a couple thousand in the bank from working and live poker, decided to just deposit $100 at the beginning of the year and work with that, and you can see below how that's going. If you're used to the high limits I could see putting some of the money back on full tilt but I'd definitely keep some of it for spending money, school money, and just plain backup money.

arkadiy

arkadiy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep it in the bank for safety, if you go broke online just deposit $200 again and try to build. If you deposit 5+ times and still can't break $1k, then maybe you shouldn't deposit for a while :p

P

PuffinNugs420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep it low

Im also a college student and ive been there bro. i wouldnt put too much back into your online acct. just put a minimal amount back in there and see how you do with that. but i wouldnt put too much in there if i was strapped for cash. just make small deposits and see how you do

P

phisig6057

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with most of the other posters. I'm not a college student anymore, but a $200 bankroll is definitely enough to get you started. Keep the rest in the bank anf re-deposit only if you have to. Building a bankroll from a low starting point is a great excercise and teaches some essential skills aside from playing a good game.

IamBP

IamBP

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say see what you can do with the $200. If I was in your situation, that is what I would do. Especially because I know the profession I am going in to is not the highest paying. If the $200 starts to disappear, you can always deposit again. However, I would say use the money to pay your bills first. You are in a situation a lot of college kids would love to be in.

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There's still time to go buy Disney. Go!
Wall-E in theaters this summer! You can't lose! (you can lose, but it's highly unlikely)

P.s. Put it in the bank ;)

AlexeiVronsky

AlexeiVronsky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm going to go with invest the money in Indian index funds, I've got the feeling they're going to boom and USD's just gonna keep getting weaker. Or buy gold and hoard it. Hoarding gold's always good.

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should only (play poker)* with money you can do without for long periods of time.

*This applies to the stock market and other long term investments. If you are going to need it in a set amount of time, put it in the bank**.

**Or other liquid instrument to include credit unions, bonds, etc.

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Forget Disney! Buy Drugs!