Anxiety in poker

O

oliveirad10

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
from now on let's share knowledge I think this is fantastic!

And in this first subject, we'll talk a little bit about ANXIETY, you probably have heard, or read something about, well, let's go?

When this little word sounds in our ears, we already think of something bad, and that much disrupts the life of the human being, does not it? This is not a truth, but in parts.

Anxiety is an emotional state present in every individual, it means that we all have anxiety, to understand better, we need first, to know what that anxiety would then be.

We can say that it is a natural defense, which presents itself as a protection, a state of alert for what is to come, what makes it pathological (abnormal), is when this state paralyzes the individual, and prevents him from following the against.

Let me give you an example that I believe is the best way to clarify. Think of a person before starting a final table in a poker tournament, he may feel a certain anxiety before he starts, the person is in a state of alert for not knowing what can happen, if he will forget how to play, if will have a "heart trick", and this is normal, but when this anxiety is exacerbated and prevents the person from performing this final part of the game, this may be an indication that anxiety is predominating, and if not careful, can be a factor that appears in several areas of life, in several situations, which is characterized as pathological (abnormal) anxiety.

Pathological anxiety, there are various classifications, degrees of impairment and symptoms.

According to WHO (World Health Organization), anxiety triggers symptoms such as: tremors or feeling weak, muscle tension, fatigue, shortness of breath, palpitations, sweating, dry mouth, dizziness, diarrhea, chills, impatience, difficulty in irritability, difficulty in maintaining sleep.

It is important to note that it is very important that if you present some of the symptoms listed above, you do not necessarily have pathological anxiety, it is very important to check the context and the way the symptoms are present, because, as we say, anxiety can or not be pathological, so always look for a reliable professional, who will know how to guide you in the best way.

I want to conclude with a concept of anxiety for Perls, who was a psychotherapist and psychiatrist, who developed Gestalt Therapy, one of the theoretical lines that I identify in psychology:

"Anxiety is a vacuum between now and then. If you are in the now you can not be anxious, because the excitement immediately flows into spontaneous activity. If you are in the now you will be creative, resourceful. If your senses are ready, and your eyes and ears open as in every little child, you'll find the solution to play the best Poker hand of your life. "

Last edited:
A

Aknight3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I beleive anxiety at the table can be a good thing...keeps you in check as long as you dont let it run your decision making totally

O

oliveirad10

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As we talked about in the previous text, we already know what anxiety is, and what it is for, right?
Recapitulating for those who did not read the first text, we know that anxiety can be pathological (abnormal) or not, and that it presents some characteristic symptoms, such as fear, tachycardia, tremors, sweating, chest tightness, tingling, among others.
Today we will deepen and some ways we can deal with anxiety in our everyday poker and in life.
In cases of an anxious crisis:
• The first thing to do in a crisis is to try to blur the attention of the symptoms and stay calm.
• Talk about other subjects, change the environment in which you are, perhaps even in thought, if you imagine yourself in a place that pleases you, although it is a task that will require at that moment so distressing an effort to focus on another situation that does not be the symptoms of the anxious crisis, it is possible.
• Breathing exercises help to control, it requires a certain concentration on breathing, and this also helps to focus the symptom.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think you need to drink more water.
And do not forget to eat at times, it is also quite useful.

Vodnik2017

Vodnik2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thoughts are so deep that I do not even understand where they lead

Dusan

Dusan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should always remember that the flop is practically the whole game in hold’em. That’s where your major decisions will be made. The play on fourth street and fifth street is pretty basic by comparison. For example, on the flop, you put your opponent on a particular hand, and all your thinking follows from that. If you think he’s drawing at a club flush, you bet. You must make your opponents pay to make their draws. If the club doesn’t come on fourth street, you bet again. Obviously, if the club comes and you think your opponent made his hand, you check it. If you think you’re beat, naturally, you check it. And if you think your opponent is drawing, you bet. That’s the whole thing. On fifth street, also called the river, if it looks like your opponent has missed his hand, there’s usually no reason to bet any further. So you just show your hand over, or you check it and give him a chance to bluff. That’s no-limit hold’em in a nutshell, but as you know, it’s a far more complex game than that.

Note: Except the turn has one secret attached to it (the 60/40 thing) and that's the secret of making money. So, keep cool and focus.

Last edited: