Another Bubble Decision to Make

R

RussianCopa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Final table of a 3 table SNG. Six players left, and the payouts start at five. I am the big blind with about 2200 in chips, and the short stack at the table. There was no small blind, bc that player had been eliminated the hand before. The blinds are 250/500 with I forget the ante...I had been waiting for a hand to shove with for a long time, but it just wasn't happening. Everyone folds to the button, who with about 3800 in chips, moves all in. I have 55. The button guy probably had realized I've basically folded every hand since we hit the FT. I decided to call. He had 10d8d and hit the 8 on the flop. I was gone on the bubble. I feel in this case I made the wrong decision. I'd always prefer to be the one shoving, rather than calling off all my chips. I was frustrated and super short, but should I have waited for a better spot? This was definitely not as easy as the decision I had with AKs if y'all read my other "bubble shove" post.

C

celoshida

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Insta call.

you just got unlucky.

you cannot fold 55 with 4 bb on the BB

M

martina pinto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes good decisions are overshadowed by those who have more chips .. but if you wait a lot in the end you end up losing because some will pay for just having more chips so there are decisions that will surely leave us out or not but you have to take them

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You were ahead with a pair and got your chips in good. That's all that matters. I agree that it's much better to move all in first, then you have 2 ways to win not just one, but then you should have picked another spot earlier to shove when you still had fold equity. I know it's hard when you are waiting for a spot and keep looking down at horrible cards - I feel your pain and I'm guilty of sometimes waiting too long as well :) Given your stack I think you definitely did the right thing calling with a pair.

kratos

kratos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd do the same . Unfortunately your hand wasn't the winner.But 55 is a good hand I think.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
For better responses try providing more information & display it in an easy to read format.

ie.
- display ALL of the stack sizes (not just the players involved in the hand). It makes a big difference in bubble spots.
- describe the action of the hand BUT do not include the results! ie. in the hand you posted you could say, folded to BTN who shoves for 7bb's. SB folds. I have 4.5bb's in BB holding 55

What do I do? (< and leave it at that... at the point of your decision).

But also include things like:
history vs. villain (have they been shovnig frequently)
our image
type(s) of players on the table (have there been many 'spots' to accumulate chips... or in this case 'have there been many instances where we've been able to open-shove).

R

RussianCopa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes it's just bad luck

Thanks guys. I had rethought this earlier and changed my mind, but y'alls comments have been helpful. I think I was just giving myself a hard time since it was a call instead of a push, but if anyone had flat called I was gonna shove anyway knowing that they'd probably call behind me, so same thing. I just got unlucky. I was way too short to do anything else.

J

JustSoPro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People keep saying you are ahead but likely only ahead by like 6% with a hand like 55 (if his two cards are both higher than a 5, your edge is only like 6%) so if you think you can fold to the bubble in this spot I would, I don't know the size of the next smallest stack though and that would be the basis of my action. They'd have to be 2BB or less for me to fold 55 here already being 15-20% of my stack in the pot.

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When we are playing in the final table and we are shortstack we must act before we are swallowed by the blinds and before, then our range of shoves will increase, but our range of call will be lower. Due to your stack you gave a correct call, but if you had acted before you might not have come to this situation.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing at all wrong with play. You read him as light, and you were right, but you got a little unlucky. I'm always suspicion of those late position shoves around the bubble. It's one of the very few times that I might call an all-in with pocket 5s. I would just hope it would be for all their chips, not all of mine. But you gotta' do what you gotta' do.

bekel285

bekel285

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Snap call with that small a stack, just unlucky.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes going all in on the button with nothing can take down enough chips to pass the bubble.

Kingpoetmusic

Kingpoetmusic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tough situation there. You made the right play but luck favored the 10d8d. The bubble is the worst feeling. I bubbled in a wsop satellite so I know how you feel. Just chalk it up and get those chips the next time!

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Perfect call there with any pair, with 4bb you can never fold that with only 5 people payed, if it was a bigger mtt with like 200+ payed you can fold if you really want the mim cash (still a big misstake but at least you would be happier :) )

A

agriggy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to have a better hand to call than to shove, I would have folded the 5's, too weak.

R

rmcneice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As the short stack and with 4 BB you have one rotation to go before you're blinded out. Have to play those, hope for a coin flip against two overcards like you had then a little bit of luck which that time you did not.

E

eggtart

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call is not a wrong move... his range can be wide which was the case. Just unlucky of outcome.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I believe that you have made the right decision in this situation.
And I would definitely do the same.
Good luck.