Am I smart?

kingme620

kingme620

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I lost my whole stack ($20, .05/.1) because my set of 10's got beaten by a set of Queens on the flop.

Doesn't Harrington say you're stupid if you fold because you THINK the other guy has a higher set?

S

syntheticocean

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm going to steer clear of judging your intelligence. However, I would never go all in with anything other than the best possible hand. Even then, I would hope to god the other villian put me all in. Nothing tickles me more than seeing some doofus go all in without the best possible hand, and I crush him with the best.

One thing to always tell yourself - Never go all in. I'm sure I folded some big pots that I would have won because of that, but at the same time I just withdrew nearly 4000$ off of a 50$ initial deposit. I must be doing something right.

arkadiy

arkadiy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're stupid because you took whole stack to 1 table.

S

sliver101

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
harrington has more money than u he can take the hits but seriously were u beat on the flop turn or river?

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
(1) stack does not = bankroll necessarily

(2) If you don't go broke from set over set you are most likely not playing correctly.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm going to steer clear of judging your intelligence. However, I would never go all in with anything other than the best possible hand. Even then, I would hope to god the other villian put me all in. Nothing tickles me more than seeing some doofus go all in without the best possible hand, and I crush him with the best.

One thing to always tell yourself - Never go all in. I'm sure I folded some big pots that I would have won because of that, but at the same time I just withdrew nearly 4000$ off of a 50$ initial deposit. I must be doing something right.

So you'll only get all-in with the nuts??? Losing lots of value here. Does this mean that if we're playing and you raise preflop I should go all-in every time because you'll only call me with AA preflop???

kingme620

kingme620

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
noooo...it was nowhere near my whole br.

And I didn't just push to a raise. It was a limped pot, flop something like Q 10 5 two of a suit, very agg. table. So naturally I thought it very unlikely somebody who was raising alot pf held QQ that hand. We both went thru alot of raises and reraises on the flop so I eventually just went all in. Was that a bad play? I guess so...but I think I would do the same thing again. I think I would feel worse if I had folded to the 1st or 2nd reraise.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We both went thru alot of raises and reraises on the flop so I eventually just went all in. Was that a bad play?

Yes. But then again... maybe no. I think so.

TheNoob

TheNoob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
noooo...it was nowhere near my whole br.

And I didn't just push to a raise. It was a limped pot, flop something like Q 10 5 two of a suit, very agg. table. So naturally I thought it very unlikely somebody who was raising alot pf held QQ that hand. We both went thru alot of raises and reraises on the flop so I eventually just went all in. Was that a bad play? I guess so...but I think I would do the same thing again. I think I would feel worse if I had folded to the 1st or 2nd reraise.

Well, if it was MY set of 10's, he would have had AK and a jack would show up, or two of whatever was suited and another would hit.

Of course, these cards would hit on the river.

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At $10 NL I'm pretty much never ever folding a set to a shove on the flop, unless I'm playing a nit and there's a pair of overcards on the board.
You did the right thing. Don't sweat it. This is by no means an unintelligent move.

Oh man... NEVER going all in without the nuts? That's so passive. That's such a waste of potential wins. At $10NL people stack off with TPTK, over pairs, two pair, etc. A set dominates the shove range of most players.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you don't go broke from set over set you are most likely not playing correctly.

I concur.

Congratulations on your success, but your advice seems too nitty, if you don`t mind my saying so.

If you only ever go all-in with the nuts, why would anyone ever call ?

V

vagas35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At a very aggressive table i think you played it good, you were just unlucky to run into trip Qs on the flop.