alcohol and poker are not compatible.what do you think?

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ilari Sahamis (Ziigmund), made a fast career as a professional poker player, but he became famous not only for victories, but also for dubious antics, which are explained by his craving for alcohol. according to Ilari Sahamis himself, alcohol caused a loss of almost $ 3,000,000 per session.

lsbenn

lsbenn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are playing poker as your job then no you should not drink. If you are playing with friends and it is just a fun game then sure have a drink.

F

fastjob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you- poker- beer and friends.

monstr999999

monstr999999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree ... - alcohol and poker is a loss of money ..))
if you drink and play - it's only in free tournaments ..)))
:wavey:

A

Andy_mirON

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's like going to work, you do not drink in the workplace and in poker, if you start a game session and you start it in order to make money you have to be focused and motivated on the result.
Drink this obvious handicap.

elflake

elflake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know they don't go together for me if playing seriously. Even a small amount, not enough to affect my math, does have a pronounced effect on my *bravado*.

C

canabero

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it depends on how many drinks. once i got ITM in a tournament drinking some alcohol. but i don't use to drink regularly.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think that if you are serious about poker, then you do not need to drink alcohol while playing. But if poker is just entertainment for you and you just want to have fun, then why not?

jus7_play3r

jus7_play3r

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So to speak as drinking alcohol and playing poker, I see А4 , with АА :D. Joking countries, if you play in a major tournament - well without alcohol, even cigarettes because they limit your thinking and interferes on your game. Just drink water :)

Everbane

Everbane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In general, I do not drink alcohol unless beer and sometimes only .. But in some aspects when a lot of money at stake I think it will not hurt to drink in order to neutrolize nervousness =)))

soccer1996

soccer1996

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
for me personally, poker is like extra money,I can't quit my job for poker. maybe because I'm not a professional player.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As already mentioned if you want to earn money with any job alcohol can only make it more difficult for you. Even small amounts of alcohol will make it more difficult to think and take decisions fast and as we know this is crucial in poker. Of course if you play for fun you can drink alcohol as main goal there is the fun and not to win money. During home games with friends for example i always drink several beers or even vodka. :D
Saying that i have also noticed that sometimes when i play after work in the evening drinking one beer (just one and not 2 or 3) helps me to relax and play more easily which considering that i am tight player in fact helps my game.

I

ice mary

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think alcohol abuse is harmful not only for poker, but for the family, career and other important things

romych007

romych007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely, in many cases, alcohol hinders players from playing the game proffesionally. When there is nothing at stake, however, and you play just for fun, you can make a good mood for other players. Proved!

A

aj1300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As many people have already said, alcohol consumption probably depends on your purpose for playing poker. If it's recreational (and you're okay with losing your buy-in), then drink up. If you earn your living playing poker, best to stay sober.

That said, Scotty Nguyen has made quite a career of drinking while playing, hasn't he?!

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personalopinion, depends on the person.

It also depends on the amount. I am useless if I have 4 drinks - even if its beer I am falling asleep and if I stay awake I can barely focus. But one of my friends can drink 4x that and barely be phased and take down a 20 table MTT. Alternatively I can smoke weed, and play un-phased while my friend will lose his chips quickly had he smoked. However, if its going to be to an extreme in either case it will usually wind up bad.

Everyone is different and the key is being able to read your opponents and see how it effects them. Then exploit it.

To my mind if you are asking the question for yourself, you are likely better off not drinking. But if you can have a single drink without requiring more, it's probably not a determining factor in your play.

manolo salazar

manolo salazar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is like to drive a car ! If you do it you will crash!

king11682

king11682

Kimba
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Of course not, since poker needs a lot of concentration and strategy, it is not a simple game and if there is money in between, it is even worse.
Now if it's just for fun at home.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personalopinion, depends on the person.

It also depends on the amount. I am useless if I have 4 drinks - even if its beer I am falling asleep and if I stay awake I can barely focus. But one of my friends can drink 4x that and barely be phased and take down a 20 table MTT. Alternatively I can smoke weed, and play un-phased while my friend will lose his chips quickly had he smoked. However, if its going to be to an extreme in either case it will usually wind up bad.

Everyone is different and the key is being able to read your opponents and see how it effects them. Then exploit it.

To my mind if you are asking the question for yourself, you are likely better off not drinking. But if you can have a single drink without requiring more, it's probably not a determining factor in your play.
no. I had a sad experience of alcohol and poker. They played with a friend online and drank. it was sad to lose half of the bankroll.
since then I personally do not touch alcohol when I'm engaged in poker[emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12]

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No comments. it often happens in the stars?
I often look at Polk to see his studies and spread it.
I like this professional.[emoji33] [emoji33] [emoji33] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12]

Last edited:
B

B1BOMBER

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well in my opinion alcohol and poker go good together if you play more poker than you consume alcohol. In some of my biggest wins I had a few beers over the tourney but kept it well under control. If you can't control your alcohol consumption then nothing will go with your alcohol.:D:D

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well in my opinion alcohol and poker go good together if you play more poker than you consume alcohol. In some of my biggest wins I had a few beers over the tourney but kept it well under control. If you can't control your alcohol consumption then nothing will go with your alcohol.:D:D
all. I do not drink anymore.[emoji33] [emoji12] [emoji106] [emoji110] [emoji122]

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I believe that alcohol and poker can not be combined. Poker is a game of patience and discipline and alcohol is incompatible here.

MrSkinny

MrSkinny

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Heya ~

We all have different tolerances. But consider this: it takes ages concentrating on BRM to build your bankroll, and all profits can be lost with one stupid play. If you're happy with that, do what you like. If that would piss you off, don't be a muppet!

Stay smiling <3