Age and Poker

Farmz

Farmz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel older players have the patience but that doesn't always pay. The younger players adapt to different techniques faster, and what they lack in experience they make up for with aggression. But I still see old guys take youngsters to the cleaners often lol

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
*EDIT* (This post doesn't necessarily have to do with age, but the fact that older individuals may have more things to balance in their life besides grinding poker sessions)

I feel like at times my game has gotten worse. Full time job + family is no easy feat on its own.

Just today, I came home burnt out and accidentally miss-clicked in two pots. Obviously that's just fatigue kicking in, but you really need 100% focus when playing a hand and constant discipline.

Last edited:
Fernanda37

Fernanda37

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The age doesn't matter, i think that depends of each person... the personality and the maturity is the main

A

AdnanDam

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
iam 26 Years old andd i play poker in better than more player

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The relationship between age and poker is variable and it goes together with personal character

ubo

ubo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Among the great players of poker, there is a very common characteristic. Most have college degrees, or are taking the course; Many have even postgraduate degrees.

That is why I strongly emphasize that the priority of children under 18 should not be to play poker, but to complete their studies. In addition, a person can even ruin his future in poker, as a small disappointment at this age may be enough for him to give up - younger people tend to have little tolerance for failures. So if you are under 18: Rethink your priorities. Give time to time, go to school, and then try to play the fascinating game of poker.

I agree... About education and a degree, etc.
And so many players just rely on luck!!!
and age here not and.
Although there are probably some tendencies. /
Young people do not experienced more believe in luck!

AntonEast

AntonEast

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think age doesn't matter that much, it's the ability to learn fast and gain experience fast. Learn from mistakes, learn from success and the skill of analyz everything you do in poker. That's what counts.

firstcrack

firstcrack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
An endurance match will typically favor the young--all things else being equal.

H

heix24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
young and agressive, older smarter takes it easy

migesan

migesan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
excellent question, which was previously headed the poker that's better, because poker is to learn all your life ;)

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker for all ages. Age doesn't matter. The main thing - skill.

papi1207

papi1207

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree that older players are much more patient but younger players are much more sharp, so in my opinion just depends from person to person, if you are good will be good young and old, and if you are bad there is no help for you in thousand years. :rolleyes:

M

marakhovskii

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
An experienced player loses motivation

mange1234

mange1234

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Younger players

It seems that younger players are the best players these days. From a professional standpoint, the old time "rounders" use to win by having the ability to take a "read" on the other players. This is not possible when playing on line poker.

Now, in todays world, the young players use math and probability to win. Or, so I read. lol

Mike

JulioJones

JulioJones

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a grown man's game. That being said I have been beaten by some teenagers.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I for one think that experience is the most powerful tool you have in life (nevermind poker) ive been playing for over 20 years and am head and shoulders above the player i was then.:)

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree that older players are much more patient but younger players are much more sharp, so in my opinion just depends from person to person, if you are good will be good young and old, and if you are bad there is no help for you in thousand years. :rolleyes:
this is true,,,their is no help for stupid,,,lol:icon_sant

M

MadalinBoz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the age is not that important than the abillity to stay calm and have patience.

K

ksidrew

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In most highly competitive games the best in the world tend to be younger 25-30. Sports, Chess, Poker etc. Minds are sharper and have more stamina. Also when you are at a younger age you are hungry and eager to learn.

hufty

hufty

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think when we are young we're way more reckless and willing to take more risks. As we get older we become more cautious.
This image can be used to your advantage by acting contrary to our stereotype in big hands.

D

DrakeM

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually age is rather a small factor, it much more depends on your personality. Maybe older poker players have an advantage of experience

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I think the young ones know better how to adapt their game to the new developments , use more the technology , can stand more the long sessions of the tournaments , play more aggressive poker than usual (so many LAGs ouf ). Ofcourse there are many exceptions from every rule , ok :)

psyho26

psyho26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely no sense, how old are you..
Negreanu more than 40 years, Semion Austrian player, 21 years - more than 3 million dollars in prize money

cazual88

cazual88

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
22 and higher. I was too impressive and not enough smart when Iwas 21 and earlier. Now I am 25)

Havik

Havik

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker isn't a physical sport so you wouldn't need high reaction and reflexes. As long and you keep your mind sharp I wouldn't see age being a problem. I mean look at Doyle hes still going strong. I understand that your mind decays as you get older, but with experience and time you defiantly will still be a force at the table as an older player.