My advice for you (But you can't use it against me!)

gjshand

gjshand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see so many people do this and i am truely bewildered by it, the action i am going to describe rarely has a place in a poker game and yet so many new players seem to do it.

And just in case you are one of them i eagerly encourage you to explain why.

I have mainly noticed this at the NL cash tables but it also goes on in tournements:

Why oh why do players raise ONE BIG BLIND pre flop???:confused: :confused:

I see it in all positions, UTG, SB, BB in fact anywhere round the table. It suits no purpose whatsoever. If you are going to raise then RAISE 3BB's or 4BB's, go all in, bet the pot, bet a third of the BB's stack if you see fit. It will depend entirely on the game and what's been going on but please will you not raise a single bet.

I have thought long and hard and i can't think of any hand in any position where this play is advantageous.

Why you should'nt do this:

1) It DOES NOT portray strength.
2) It DOES NOT act as or have the effect of a "TESTER" bet
3) It MOST DEFINATELY does not thin the field
4) It DOES however give people after you around the table better odds to call and see the flop.
5) It DOES COST you a lot of money in the long-term
6) MOST OF ALL it makes you look like a fish, any player worth their salt will figure that out after you do it 2 or 3 times.

Any comments to tell me i am wrong?

Osmann

Osmann

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you. Usually minraising is bad, but some drawing hands may use this to make the pot bigger, so they can make more when they hit the correct flop. That's the only reason I can come up with.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I completely agree, gjs - it has absolutely no purpose.
Doesn't portray strength, isn't big enough to sweeten the pot, doesn't protect your hand (sorry to pick on ya AI ;) but your thread with AA beaten by KT is a perfect example)

F

Fish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It can be used effectively to loosen a tight table.

gjshand

gjshand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fish said:
It can be used effectively to loosen a tight table.

And why would you want to do that?

You end up getting calls you don't want and being outdrawn by idiots playing loose.

F

Fish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
gjshand said:
And why would you want to do that?

You end up getting calls you don't want and being outdrawn by idiots playing loose.

Actually, that is the whole mathematical process behind poker.
They make a bad play, I get paid.
Someone else can run you through the whole longrun-shortrun thing about poker.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Ok. I have to chime in here. At a short-handed table the min. raise can be useful if you have a monster hand, and have a good enough read on your opponents to know that they will fold with a substantial raise. However, in my opinion, it should only be used sparingly and only if you want to disguise the strength of your hand.

But as a general rule, I do think that it is usually a mistake. In fact, whenever someone min. raises, I always think of Dorkus' old quote: "Min. raises are bad, mmm-Kay?" :p

gord962

gord962

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are tables where it's effective, and others it's not. You have to be able to determine when it's appropriate and use it to your advantage.

gjshand

gjshand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fish said:
Actually, that is the whole mathematical process behind poker. They make a bad play, I get paid.
I get what you mean about the mathematical aspect of the game but if the table becomes too loose your ability to use the maths behind the game deminish. You can't use the cold stats alone, you need to at one point factor in the WAY the table is playing. The looser the table the harder it is to do that.

Fish said:
Someone else can run you through the whole longrun-shortrun thing about poker.

As for that statement, stop trying to be a smart @ss and take the post in they spirit it was intended. Instead of letting someone else explain that - I will. The whole idea of posting is to get other peoples perspective on a comment or situation. NOT to get nippy comments from someone who thinks they are clever. (and BTW there are a lot of folk who contribute in this forum who's comments are informative and knowledgable without being a ......... you get the idea i'm not sure i can post the end of that.)

F

Fish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As I said before. It is used to loosen up a tight table.

My opening raises tend to be larger, on average, but as I said there is a time for a min raise.

Now then, if everyone has gotten all their "nippy" comments out of their system, who would like to explain long-run vs short-run? :cool:

gord962

gord962

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree Fish. If I make a min raise and a few clowns make the call, I get more money about 85% of the time. Only collecting blinds because everytime you have a strong hand because no one will call a raise of 4 or 5 X BB is a hard way to become chip leader.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
min raise preflop in late position with 3 callers in front of you with any pocket pair.