Status
Not open for further replies.
scphillips87

scphillips87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Simple question. You're in the latter stage of a tournament. Getting down to about 5 tables. You wake up with AK suited and you've got the average chipstack. All-in?

I post this because I tend to lose when I'm up against it and lose when I've got it. Just got busted out by AJ against my big slick.

SAH89

SAH89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes yes you will lose with it, but if I have it I will play it unless I think
i'm beat.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hard to say without knowing stack sizes, blinds, etc., but yeah...I mean, if he has his hand face up do you go all-in? Obviously, you do...

SeanyJ

SeanyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, always all in. Nothing else matters about the tournament just that you have AK suited. Just insta shove!

N

nykel88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Needs more information.. like what is your position? UTG? it depends really on how many players folds and calls or limps. I'll just raise it 3-4x the BB that way i wont get pot committed in the flop. IF it miss the straight or flush or top pairs then its easy to fold. Don't go all in unless you are short stack and really need to double up. If you lose well thats it. thats poker. lol :)

DogzBestFrnd

DogzBestFrnd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to be a bit agressive pre-flop with AKs, maybe 3x the blind. Then see what the flop gives ya, and how the remaining players play the flop. Always a good slow play hand too, and you can always fold the slow play if 3 hearts hit the flop and someone pushes all in vs your Spades.
But then again, I lose alot of chips with AKs also, so maybe you dont want to listen to me. :)

MrMuckets

MrMuckets

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK suited is one of the best drawing hands you can have. But all in, no way. 22 is a better hand.:):)

V

valdemar983

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your small stacked in late position, and there havent been a lot of callers, I would consider it. If your large stacked late than give a raise to scare off the blinds.
In early position I would probably either give it a small raise, or just a call...

My reasoning is based off psychology, not strict poker logic. Late in the tournament, especially around the bubble people are either super tight, or super loose. If they are about to blind out than they have a tendency to either fold or go all in. So, all the small stacks will with mediocre hands will fold (to no bet or a small bet), the ones with big hands will push.
At the same time the loose big stacks will likely call any middle sized push as they are trying to eliminate people and come out of the bubble round with a huge stack. They may limp on a small bet, they may not, the tight ones will fold either way unless they have cards.
So your likely not going to be looking at too many truly awful hands either way. If you saved your fuel for the flop you can see if something like jjq three too a flush, 9 10 J or something else mid high comes out. Furthermore a Push on the flop always seems to get much more respect, so if you have one caller, and the flop comes out with duds blow your wad then.

imasquare

imasquare

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All-in? not me, a simple raise or call will do, ill like to see a flop first, i don't like to work so hard to make it that far and end up loosing to a large stacks pocket pair.

T

timeflight

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Answer is no! All in means all out. Advice from me ,ALWAYS SEE THE FLOP! Befor All in move. Thats how i play it works for me....gl

G

gadgetfiddler

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would slow play it. no all-in. maybe a preflop raise, but only if there's no super aggressive players with super large stacks who will push me to go all-in pf.

P

potman1250

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Be patient and cautious. Dont put all your chips in and hope. Too many people overplaying hands.

HardTheJoker

HardTheJoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Average chip stack that late in a tournament can still be a lot of chips. I wouldn't shove solely based on your information. However, blinds; position; player's behaviors; recently past hands; and, chipstacks are variables that should be considered. Even the type of tournament and buy-in can be factors.

There's a time to do it, and a time not to. All things have to be considered.

Good poker playing revolves around good decision making based on the available knowledge.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK suited is one of the best drawing hands you can have. But all in, no way. 22 is a better hand.:):)

Please quit repeating this awful advice. Please come up with a reasonable calling range for an all-in that 22 fares better against than AK does. Whether 22 beats AK all-in is irrelevant, that's not the choice. The choice is given stacking ranges which has better equity. AK obviously wins that and if it doesn't again please give me reasonable stacking ranges where 22 does better against it then AK does.

DogzBestFrnd

DogzBestFrnd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO, I wouldnt do AI with 22 in this situation either. Go see the flop. Now if your short stacked, and about to be blinded out in a hand or 2, maybe. But that flop would be nice to see wouldnt it? If you got more than 2 hands till your blinded, wait for some cards, see some flops, increase your odds.

R

russellathletic

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, always all in. Nothing else matters about the tournament just that you have AK suited. Just insta shove!

why wouldn't you want to slow play.....what happens when three fours come on the flop..... i think it is a great hand but you gotta know when to fold and push

MrMuckets

MrMuckets

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Please quit repeating this awful advice. Please come up with a reasonable calling range for an all-in that 22 fares better against than AK does. Whether 22 beats AK all-in is irrelevant, that's not the choice. The choice is given stacking ranges which has better equity. AK obviously wins that and if it doesn't again please give me reasonable stacking ranges where 22 does better against it then AK does.

Im not saying shove with 22, I'm saying don't shove with AK. But thanks for the imput now i have a reason to not post here anymore.:):)

T

Trippin_Aces

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
SEE the FLOP! all you have is ACe high until you see the damn cards

hayes5150

hayes5150

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Put out a good raise preflop try to scare away the scabs holding crap cards. you probably been playing in the tourny for a couple hours, to go all in with AK and lose would suck to get knocked out and win nothing

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im not saying shove with 22, I'm saying don't shove with AK. But thanks for the imput now i have a reason to not post here anymore.:):)

wtf I didn't say to not post here, I'm just explaining how your logic is extremely flawed. Some of the best players in the world stack AK without a second thought at almost any stage in a tournament and almost always 100 BBs deep yet would open fold 22 the heavy majority of the time. The point in shoving AK is that people fold and that when called (which is always the top of their range) AK fares significantly better than 22 does.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

range: pocket 1s, 32s, 42s, AA+

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why wouldn't you want to slow play.....what happens when three fours come on the flop..... i think it is a great hand but you gotta know when to fold and push

IMO, I wouldnt do AI with 22 in this situation either. Go see the flop. Now if your short stacked, and about to be blinded out in a hand or 2, maybe. But that flop would be nice to see wouldnt it? If you got more than 2 hands till your blinded, wait for some cards, see some flops, increase your odds.

Be patient and cautious. Dont put all your chips in and hope. Too many people overplaying hands.

I would slow play it. no all-in. maybe a preflop raise, but only if there's no super aggressive players with super large stacks who will push me to go all-in pf.

Answer is no! All in means all out. Advice from me ,ALWAYS SEE THE FLOP! Befor All in move. Thats how i play it works for me....gl

All-in? not me, a simple raise or call will do, ill like to see a flop first, i don't like to work so hard to make it that far and end up loosing to a large stacks pocket pair.

SEE the FLOP! all you have is ACe high until you see the damn cards

Put out a good raise preflop try to scare away the scabs holding crap cards. you probably been playing in the tourny for a couple hours, to go all in with AK and lose would suck to get knocked out and win nothing

I'm amazed at all the brilliant responses. Is it a coincidence that all these people have <50 posts? It'd be a shame if people were actually trying to learn poker here. How about some logic or support? Guess that's too much to ask?

MrMuckets

MrMuckets

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
wtf I didn't say to not post here, I'm just explaining how your logic is extremely flawed. Some of the best players in the world stack AK without a second thought at almost any stage in a tournament and almost always 100 BBs deep yet would open fold 22 the heavy majority of the time. The point in shoving AK is that people fold and that when called (which is always the top of their range) AK fares significantly better than 22 does.

I'll tell you what. Lets you and i play a thousand hands of heads up. You get AK every hand I get 22. If i am not ahead 51% to 49% I'll agree with you. Before you jump down my throat READ what i am saying.

Untitled999999999999999999

Last edited:
zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll tell you what. Lets you and i play a thousand hands of heads up. You get AK every hand I get 22. If i am not ahead 51% to 49% I'll agree with you.

Did you even read my post? Directly from the post that was in response to you:

Whether 22 beats AK all-in is irrelevant, that's not the choice. The choice is given stacking ranges which has better equity. AK obviously wins that and if it doesn't again please give me reasonable stacking ranges where 22 does better against it then AK does.

So I propose a different challenge. We play poker against the same people at a table. We both push all-in every hand. I get AK and you get 22. We'll see how far ahead I am after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.