A Break or Give Up?

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't sleep thinking about it every day. I borrowed $500 from my credit card to play poker and lost. I can't afford it now. And interest rates will increase over time.
Should I take a break or stop playing poker for good?

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think you should take a little break and learn poker after you realize that you are ready to come back, start with small amounts and start trying what you have learned and see your results, then you will make a decision

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Take a break to spend more time on studying theory and fundamentals, then start out small with freerolls so that you don't risk anything. The worst thing you can do now would be to chase your losses and take big risks to try and get that money back, this often results in even more losses.

If you have to take cash advances on credit cards to fund poker accounts, then you can't afford to play for real money. You should never be putting money at risk that you cannot afford to lose because this will negatively affect your mindset - playing to win is much different than playing not to lose.

golfercrack

golfercrack

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Some days off, goof sleep and feed... Study a bit more and everything should be fine

Jamil

Jamil

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
You are in danger. You should not play with the debt. You must be the owner of this money. Fear will control you, and you will not be comfortable playing and you will surely lose.

franciscomos

franciscomos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I support all the comments at this post, you can take a break and then comeback, but you should play with small amounts until your bankroll raises! And also I think that first you should pay your debts and start again

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if $500 is a significant amount for you, you should at least take a break until you close your credit card debt, then decide for yourself , if this happens again ... in my opinion the answer is obvious;)

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think taking a break is the best thing you can do. Time orders your thoughts and you can manage to accommodate your life and then return with everything to play poker.

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are many post about bankroll management @cardschat, try and read a bit about it, and use that in your play.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
In my opinion, in such a situation, it is worth starting to play with micro-limits, returning N-steps back and moving on as you gain confidence in your actions. Try to find something new and interesting for yourself in the game, instead of just "sit down and press the buttons." Alternatively, it might be worth trying a different game format. I am sure that you should not immediately strive for the limits that you played before - there is a lot of stress and risks, but there is little point.Ultimately, poker fatigue can lead to an avoidable loss. So if you're saving your money, start your next poker game after a good rest and focus.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I can't sleep thinking about it every day. I borrowed $500 from my credit card to play poker and lost. I can't afford it now. And interest rates will increase over time.
You did something stupid. You did something that absolutely could not be done. I advise you to take a break, pay back your debts, and only then return to playing poker, but only in freerolls. If you can't build a bankroll playing freerolls, then you just need to find another hobby.

valen.bs.95

valen.bs.95

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think you lost part of the money under the influence of emotions. If you want to play in plus, you should take a couple of courses. Get started with the 30 day poker course from CardsChat. I'm going through it right now.

R

Rmi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I think that giving up should not be an option, in any case your problem is lack of study to overcome the levels you are playing.

Highfish

Highfish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
So I think you played with scared money, never a good idea. Clear your mind and also your debts and respect BRM in the future.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You should stop playing poker immediately. Also I would recommend it to you and all in the same situation to look forward psychological aid.
This is not a joke, you said yourself you’re not sleeping because you probably had let your bills behind and now you have a debt and cannot pay either the bank or your personal bills, and of course we gotta take a subject like that seriously as we can.
If you play online poker, explain the situation to the poker room and ask them to block you for a couple of months!!!
I’m not sure if you should only take a break or quit poker for the rest of your life. But look into yourself and be sincere, look for family, friends and professional help.
If you see you are really addicted to gambling the best choice for you is to never play poker again.
We should invest only money that it doesn’t make any difference if we lose or we win.
I talked a lot about the movie “Rounders, 1998” and the bad example they provide, with the character using his tuition cash to play poker and losing everything in one single hand.
Look through professional help and if the time comes where you perceive you can afford to have a solid mindset, go back to the tables, but never in your life make this mistake again!
I would recommend for you at least 12 months without playing any gambling games, although I’m not a professional.

Igor G

Igor G

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Playing poker with borrowed money is not very smart :)
I think you just need to find a job and pay back the debt as soon as possible. This will allow you to feel self-confidence and it will remove psychological pressure from you. What to do next is up to you, but obviously you shouldn't repeat your own mistakes :)

mattiebumpo

mattiebumpo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Please take to heart the messages you are receiving. Gambling can become an addiction. Even though we see poker more of a game of skill than gambling, it is still gambling since variance is real and even the best players can lose at times. I hope you can take a long break to pay off your debt and do not consider playing poker for money again until you have saved up a bankroll that you can afford to lose without paying huge interest rates or jeopardizing your other financial obligations. Take the time to study and try your skills in freerolls so you can improve your game without risking your mental health or financial wellbeing. I wish you well.

tony2521

tony2521

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
well friend the problem is that number 1 is that in poker you should not involve money that you cannot afford to lose and even less if it is paying interest since you are losing even more. You more than anyone should know if you are made to play poker since unfortunately it is not for everyone. If you have won a considerable sum and can afford to try again, I recommend that you take one for, but if you have not won an amount similar to the loss or greater, I recommend you try to build your bankroll by starting to play freeroll to see if you gain experience and reach to collect something to try to recover some of what was lost, since if you have only had losses, it is very likely that you lack some experience to be able to add.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You made a mistake playing with money that you couldn't afford to lose, but the mistake is done and you need to accept the money you had lost is gone. Don't chase losses. My advice to you is, if you really like poker and still wants to play, to only play freerolls and don't invest any more of your own money in the game. It will take much more time to build a bankroll of course, but if you want to have success in poker in the future, patience is a key factor.

YLAN

YLAN

Sida Nga Taraki
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, if you're thinking of poker as a source of income, friendly advise is to give it up. I know people who have lost a lot more because they cannot give up early. Thank me later.

But if you can look at poker as a hobby/ entertainment and (as already advised) can spend only what you can afford to loose then take a break and come back to enjoy the game.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I don't think poker is the issue, reckless behavior is the issue. Poker can be addictive to some. Give up.... poker is not for everyone👍