My 1st year playing poker, ups and downs

Brentsn

Brentsn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well it’s been a year since I took up the lovely game of poker. When I started I was on a PlayStation game playing NPCs, boy did I suck. Then I figured out I wasn’t supposed to play every hand. Then I played little one table tournaments and started to figure things out. For my 50th birthday I put $50 on pokerstars. That lasted about a week. For the next two months I would put the $50 down and lose it in cash games. I then switched tuo 888poker when I saw all the Freeroll tournaments. I still sucked and would win 2 cents every 5-10 try’s. I would win pennies save them up and lose then in cash games. So I gave up on cash games and focused on tournaments. Runs were getting deeper and more consistent and I found and joined Cardschat to be eligible for the $300 Canadian only Freeroll. The third try became my first ever tournament 1st place finish. I’ll never forget that feeling. That was in May of last year. Since ten I have come first in $1-$5 tournaments 6 more times. In the last four months I stopped putting money into my account. I’m in a cycle now where I run deep or win enough cash to pay for a week or so of tournaments. The funds run down to nothing or almost nothing then I’ll get hot and in a day I’ll get a win along with a deep run or two to top up my account. Then for whatever reason in every tournament for a while I can’t catch a flop or if I do flop the nuts I watch it melt away by the sewer. But usually I am left with 4/5 of hand every hand facing a dude wanting me to bet my stack. You know, when I bet it never comes but when I don’t it always comes. I’m not complaining, I know I’m improving everyday and it has only been a couple of really unfortunate sewer cards and a few brain crafts that have kept me from the first really good score. I have also done this without any heads up display or poker tracking software. I don’t have a computer and was doing this on my phone one tournament at a time. In the last few months with 888 new software I can now playing up to four tournaments at a time with success. I am hoping that my poker game keeps improving so that I can actually make money starting sometime this year instead of just making enough to play for free. An any of you tell me about your first year playing poker, I would love to hear it.

Last edited by a moderator:
dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Hello there,

welcome to CardsChat.
Thats very nice read.
I would highly suggest to invest some money and get yourself a decent pc or laptop and spend some time reading our BRM and you can take a 30 day course to become better poker player.

Like you wrote, if cash game is not your thing, and if you're losing player on cash, stick to tournament, and use your winnings with proper BRM to accelerate your poker skills.

Check on CardsChat, on top of every page is a section for poker strategy and you can find quite a few info that will/can help you with your poker game.

In the mean time, update your profile on CardsChat.
Go to your Name and update all sites you play on, put your nick for PS, 888, etc.... so we know with whom we play with, and for our leaderboard trackings.

Read through our Rules & FAQ page, and be active member.

Attachments

• 2021-01-18_07h42_08.jpg
    2021-01-18_07h42_08.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 2021-01-18_07h47_08.jpg
    2021-01-18_07h47_08.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 42
MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I started playing poker about three years ago. At first, when I started, I spent an average of $ 20-30 a month on the game. But since April 2019, I became a member of our freeroll club, and since then, in fact, I no longer spend my own money on the game. Moreover, my bankroll is growing steadily, thanks to our wonderful freerolls.

INISHTE

INISHTE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
Hi friend.

Well, I haven't been playing for 1 year yet, but so far I have been recharging about 50 dollars, from 10 to 10, the times that I have won money, I use that money to learn about other game modes; well i started playing play money, after trying play money games and winning several million i told myself i was ready to play real money i started playing NL2 tables i won and lost but ended up losing everything in one After a few days, then I got to know the tournaments, I tried to play one of entry 1.10 and with the way of playing that I adopted at the NL2 tables, I reached the Top 40 without realizing it, I added what I gained by eliminating other players , I won 4 dollars, after that I dedicated several deposits only to tournaments, but I just lost, then I started to try other things, Spin and GO, Zoom,Satellites and the one that I liked and keep it until now is the Sit and GO of 25 cents to buy and 45 players, I have already won 3 of those tournaments and it took me almost 2 months without recharging, I hope not to do it more, although I still have a negative balance, but I already decided to win here until I can raise the level of the stakes, at the same time that I knew this game mode, I got to know the Freerolls and I got to know this beautiful community, the furthest I got here was a final table of a guaranteed $ 300 tournament, I hope to win a freeroll one day. And I'm also about to buy a computer to play more than one table at a time, that will be exciting.although I still have a negative balance, but I already decided to win here until I can raise the level of the bets, at the same time that I knew this game mode, I knew the Freerolls and I got to know this beautiful community, the furthest I got here was a Final table of a $ 300 guaranteed tournament, I hope to win a Freeroll one day. And I'm also about to buy a computer to play more than one table at a time, that will be exciting. although I still have a negative balance, but I already decided to win here until I can raise the level of the bets, at the same time that I knew this game mode, I knew the Freerolls and I got to know this beautiful community, the furthest I got here was a Final table of a $ 300 guaranteed tournament, I hope to win a Freeroll one day.And I'm also about to buy a computer to play more than one table at a time, that will be exciting. :D

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
My first year was terrible. I was just losing money. But PokerStars Poker School helped me a lot. After watching videos about the basics of the game, I realized that you should not play with junk and it changed everything.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Haha. My first year was terrible, I only won money by accident. I did not know anything about theory, I played only beautiful cards, I climbed into almost every hand, if it was inexpensive to see the flop, I think these are the mistakes of every beginner. I played only by intuition, looking for system software errors on the PS. But then I learned a lot of new things for myself only through experience. Played many short tournaments. Well, at the end of the year, I realized that systemic knowledge of theory was needed, I began to read a lot of everything I could find on poker, although it didn't help much. In the first year I lost a lot of money without realizing it.

Bnobob

Bnobob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The Big Game

I lost about 5 deposits. I stopped playing and came back after a while and managed to recover. the reason for stopping was to be busy with something different

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Welcome to CC!

I joined PokerStars around the time of the first lockdown in the UK (June-ish) as our once a month home game had to move online. I had avoided playing online poker as I was initially worried if I had a personality which might make it a BAD IDEA.
I started only playing the home game (which moved to weekly). I did better than average at the home games, so I had a little bit of cash accumulating in the account.
Then I found the poker stars freerolls. And after finding the freerolls, I was curious what CardsChat was, so joined up and immersed myself in the game. I went through some of the 30 day CC course, Jonathan Little's PokerCoaching website. Read some material from BlackRain79... A little Affleck. Bought one of Little's books... and generally tried to learn better strategies and how to adjust to the table conditions.
When I first joined CC, they had a weekly UK Only Freeroll. This funded my poker quite well. It had generous prize money and a rather small field. I was absolutely gutted when they stopped the UK Only Freerolls, moving it to germany/brazil.
I had enlisted a number of my poker buddies to join CC...six or seven of us joined in the end. But after that Freeroll went away, most of my buddies didn't keep up the required posts to stay Platinum.
From those poker winnings, I took some cash out of stars a few times and also bought PokerTracker 4. I had used Hold'Em Manager 3 for a while, but like the interface of PT4 more. I think it was a good investment and has already paid for itself. Not really required for CardsChat games as you get to know the field pretty well when you play daily freerolls for a year as well as a couple seasons of Poker League.
For a while I was tearing up the home game. You see, everyone else was playing only once a week (before they joined cardsChat)..but I had already started to work on poker daily. It got to the point where I was starting to feel bad about taking my friends' money. So I told them about CardsChat...and gave a 3-point critique of each of them and why I could beat them.
BIG
MISTAKE!

I can no longer beat these guys. I've dropped to third in the standings and if it wasn't such a great time with my mates, I'd have to stop that game as I no longer hanve an edge.

But the guys listened. They joined CC. They shared the wealth.

I've gone through a few cycles of downswings, whereby I've needed to review my play and plug the leaks. I feel I'm at the point to know when I'm making a mistake...but the problem is, I sometimes go ahead and make it anyway. Sometimes that is folding when I shouldn't and other times its a hero call that was less than a flip.

But I love the game. And I like getting better. Winning feels good. But also important -- I've made some great friends and hope to continue to make more at the felt.
Cheers,
ObbleeXY

AlexStar1981

AlexStar1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I still can't concentrate on serious work on my poker.
But I'm working on it)))

T

TonyBalaa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Parabéns

Bem, já se passou um ano desde que comecei a jogar pôquer. Quando eu comecei, eu estava em um jogo de PlayStation jogando NPCs, cara, eu sou péssimo. Então eu descobri que não deveria jogar todas as mãos. Então joguei pequenos torneios de uma mesa e comecei a entender as coisas. No meu aniversário de 50 anos, coloquei $ 50 no Pokerstars. Isso durou cerca de uma semana. Pelos próximos dois meses, eu colocaria os $ 50 no bolso e os perderia nos jogos a dinheiro. Então mudei para o 888poker quando vi todos os torneios Freeroll. Eu ainda era péssimo e ganharia 2 centavos a cada 5-10 tentativas. Eu ganharia alguns centavos, economizaria e os perderia nos jogos a dinheiro. Então, desisti dos jogos a dinheiro e me concentrei nos torneios. As corridas estavam ficando mais profundas e mais consistentes e eu descobri e entrei no Cardschat para ser elegível para o Freeroll de $ 300 canadenses. A terceira tentativa foi a primeira vez que terminei em primeiro lugar em um torneio. Nunca vou esquecer esse sentimento. Isso foi em maio do ano passado. Desde os dez anos, cheguei em primeiro lugar em torneios de $ 1- $ 5 mais 6 vezes. Nos últimos quatro meses, parei de colocar dinheiro em minha conta. Estou em um ciclo agora em que corro fundo ou ganho dinheiro suficiente para pagar por uma semana ou mais de torneios. Os fundos se reduzem a nada ou quase nada, então eu fico quente e em um dia terei uma vitória junto com uma ou duas corridas profundas para recarregar minha conta. Então, por algum motivo, em todos os torneios por um certo tempo, não consigo pegar o flop ou, se acertar as nozes, vejo o flop derreter pelo esgoto. Mas geralmente fico com 4/5 de mão em cada mão que enfrenta um cara que quer que eu aposte meu stack. Sabe, quando aposto que nunca acontece, mas quando não acontece, sempre acontece. Eu não estou reclamando, Eu sei que estou melhorando a cada dia e foram apenas alguns cartões de esgoto realmente infelizes e alguns trabalhos cerebrais que me impediram de atingir a primeira pontuação realmente boa. Eu também fiz isso sem nenhum display de heads up ou software de rastreamento de pôquer. Eu não tenho um computador e estava fazendo isso no meu telefone um torneio de cada vez. Nos últimos meses, com o novo software do 888, agora posso jogar até quatro torneios ao mesmo tempo com sucesso. Espero que meu jogo de pôquer continue melhorando para que eu possa realmente ganhar dinheiro a partir deste ano, em vez de apenas ganhar o suficiente para jogar de graça. Se algum de vocês me contar sobre seu primeiro ano jogando pôquer, eu adoraria ouvir.
Eu também fiz isso sem nenhum display de heads up ou software de rastreamento de pôquer. Eu não tenho um computador e estava fazendo isso no meu telefone um torneio de cada vez. Nos últimos meses, com o novo software do 888, agora posso jogar até quatro torneios ao mesmo tempo com sucesso. Espero que meu jogo de pôquer continue melhorando para que eu possa realmente ganhar dinheiro a partir deste ano, em vez de apenas ganhar o suficiente para jogar de graça. Se algum de vocês me contar sobre seu primeiro ano jogando pôquer, eu adoraria ouvir. [/QUOTE] Eu também fiz isso sem nenhum display de heads up ou software de rastreamento de pôquer. Eu não tenho um computador e estava fazendo isso no meu telefone um torneio de cada vez. Nos últimos meses, com o novo software do 888, agora posso jogar até quatro torneios ao mesmo tempo com sucesso. Espero que meu jogo de pôquer continue melhorando para que eu possa realmente ganhar dinheiro a partir deste ano, em vez de apenas ganhar o suficiente para jogar de graça. Se algum de vocês me contar sobre seu primeiro ano jogando pôquer, eu adoraria ouvir. [/QUOTE] Espero que meu jogo de pôquer continue melhorando para que eu possa realmente ganhar dinheiro a partir deste ano, em vez de apenas ganhar o suficiente para jogar de graça. Se algum de vocês me contar sobre seu primeiro ano jogando pôquer, eu adoraria ouvir. [/QUOTE] Espero que meu jogo de pôquer continue melhorando para que eu possa realmente ganhar dinheiro a partir deste ano, em vez de apenas ganhar o suficiente para jogar de graça. Se algum de vocês me contar sobre seu primeiro ano jogando pôquer, eu adoraria ouvir. [/QUOTE]

Caro amigo jogador, eu te parabenizo pelo empenho e pela dedicação. A persistência é a receita da vitoria, continue firme em sua caminhada que vc vai obter os resultados esperados. TMJ

T

TonyBalaa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Parabéns

Bem, já se passou um ano desde que comei a jogar pôquer. Quando eu cosmi, eu estava em um jogo de PlayStation jogando NPCs, cara, eu sou péssimo. Então eu descobri que não deveria jogar todas as mãos. Então joguei pequenos torneios de uma mesa e cosmético para entender as coisas. No meu aniversário de 50 anos, coloquei $ 50 no Pokerstars. Isso durou cerca de uma semana. Pelos próximos dois meses, eu colocaria os $ 50 no bolso e os perderia nos jogos a dinheiro. Então mudei para o 888poker quando vi todos os torneios Freeroll. Eu ainda era péssimo e ganharia 2 centavos a cada 5-10. Eu ganharia alguns centavos, economizaria e os perderia nos jogos a dinheiro. Então, desisti dos jogos a dinheiro e me concentrei nos torneios. As corridas estavam ficando mais profundas e mais consistentes e eu descobri e entrei no Cardschat para ser elegível para o Freeroll de $ 300 canadenses. A terceira tentativa foi a primeira vez que terminei em primeiro lugar em um torneio. Nunca vou esquecer esse sentimento. Isso foi em maio do ano passado. Desde os dez anos, cheguei in first place in torneios de $ 1- $ 5 mais 6 vezes. Nos últimos quatro meses, parei de colocar dinheiro em minha conta. Estou em um ciclo agora em que corro fundo ou ganho dinheiro suficiente para pagar por uma semana ou mais de torneios. Os fundos se desfazem a nada ou quase nada, então eu fico quente e em um dia terei uma vitória junto com uma ou duas corridas profundas para recarregar minha conta. Então, por algum motivo, em todos os torneios por um certo tempo, não consigo pegar o flop ou, se acertar as nozes, vejo o flop derreter pelo esgoto. Mas geralmente fico com 4/5 de mão em cada mão que enfrenta um cara que quer que eu aposte meu stack. Sabe, quando aposto que nunca acontece, mas quando não acontece, sempre acontece. Eu não estou reclamando, Eu sei que estou melhorando a cada dia e foram apenas alguns cartões de esgoto realmente infelizes e alguns trabalhos cerebrais que me impediram de atingir a primeira pontuação realmente boa. Eu também fiz isso sem nenhum display de heads up ou software de rastreamento de pôquer. Eu não tenho um computador e estava fazendo isso no meu telefone um torneio de cada vez. Nos últimos meses, com o novo software do 888, agora posso jogar até quatro torneios ao mesmo tempo com sucesso. Espero que meu jogo de pôquer continue melhorando para que eu possa realmente ganhar dinheiro a partir deste ano, em vez de apenas ganhar o suficiente para jogar de graça. Se algum de vocês me contar sobre seu primeiro ano jogando pôquer, eu adoraria ouvir.
Eu também fiz isso sem nenhum display de heads up ou software de rastreamento de pôquer. Eu não tenho um computador e estava fazendo isso no meu telefone um torneio de cada vez. Nos últimos meses, com o novo software do 888, agora posso jogar até quatro torneios ao mesmo tempo com sucesso. Espero que meu jogo de pôquer continue melhorando para que eu possa realmente ganhar dinheiro a partir deste ano, em vez de apenas ganhar o suficiente para jogar de graça. Se algum de vocês me contar sobre seu primeiro ano jogando pôquer, eu adoraria ouvir. [/QUOTE] Eu também fiz isso sem nenhum display de heads up ou software de rastreamento de pôquer. Eu não tenho um computador e estava fazendo isso no meu telefone um torneio de cada vez. Nos últimos meses, com o novo software do 888, agora posso jogar até quatro torneios ao mesmo tempo com sucesso. Espero que meu jogo de pôquer continue melhorando para que eu possa realmente ganhar dinheiro a partir deste ano, em vez de apenas ganhar o suficiente para jogar de graça. Se algum de vocês me contar sobre seu primeiro ano jogando pôquer, eu adoraria ouvir. [/QUOTE] Espero que meu jogo de pôquer continue melhorando para que eu possa realmente ganhar dinheiro a partir deste ano, em vez de ganhar apenas o suficiente para jogar de graça. Se algum de vocês me contar sobre seu primeiro ano jogando pôquer, eu adoraria ouvir. [/QUOTE] Espero que meu jogo de pôquer continue melhorando para que eu possa realmente ganhar dinheiro a partir deste ano, em vez de apenas ganhar o suficiente para jogar de graça. Se algum de vocês me contar sobre seu primeiro ano jogando pôquer, eu adoraria ouvir. [/CITAR]

Caro amigo jogador, eu te parabenizo pelo empenho e pela dedicação. A persistência é a receita da vitoria, continue firme em sua caminhada que vc vai obter os resultados esperados. TMJ

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well it’s been a year since I took up the lovely game of poker. When I started I was on a PlayStation game playing NPCs, boy did I suck. Then I figured out I wasn’t supposed to play every hand. Then I played little one table tournaments and started to figure things out. For my 50th birthday I put $50 on Pokerstars. That lasted about a week. For the next two months I would put the $50 down and lose it in cash games. I then switched tuo 888poker when I saw all the Freeroll tournaments. I still sucked and would win 2 cents every 5-10 try’s. I would win pennies save them up and lose then in cash games. So I gave up on cash games and focused on tournaments. Runs were getting deeper and more consistent and I found and joined Cardschat to be eligible for the $300 Canadian only Freeroll. The third try became my first ever tournament 1st place finish. I’ll never forget that feeling. That was in May of last year. Since ten I have come first in $1-$5 tournaments 6 more times. In the last four months I stopped putting money into my account. I’m in a cycle now where I run deep or win enough cash to pay for a week or so of tournaments. The funds run down to nothing or almost nothing then I’ll get hot and in a day I’ll get a win along with a deep run or two to top up my account. Then for whatever reason in every tournament for a while I can’t catch a flop or if I do flop the nuts I watch it melt away by the sewer. But usually I am left with 4/5 of hand every hand facing a dude wanting me to bet my stack. You know, when I bet it never comes but when I don’t it always comes. I’m not complaining, I know I’m improving everyday and it has only been a couple of really unfortunate sewer cards and a few brain crafts that have kept me from the first really good score. I have also done this without any heads up display or poker tracking software. I don’t have a computer and was doing this on my phone one tournament at a time. In the last few months with 888 new software I can now playing up to four tournaments at a time with success. I am hoping that my poker game keeps improving so that I can actually make money starting sometime this year instead of just making enough to play for free. An any of you tell me about your first year playing poker, I would love to hear it.
Good day, I have been playing poker not so long ago, but I was already very lucky, I became a member of the CardsChat club and therefore I do not spend my own money on creating a bankroll, but I am able to form it a little!

YenRodriguez

YenRodriguez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to spend money out of my pocket quite often.
Then I researched how to get involved and become a member and it has improved since then.
this month I got 4 final tables.

DPo320

DPo320

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ive also switched to to freerolls and tournaments since I have consistently lost money on cash games. I find its best to learn the ropes in tournaments.

sanekhorror

sanekhorror

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I started, I spent a whole year learning some theory, some videos, before I started earning, I even wanted to throw everything and give up, but I didn't give up when I came to the first result, I was very happy, I know that the level of the game is limping, and you need to study a lot of theory to reach high peaks, and a huge experience and success, but we're going slowly to all this, and then we'll see how the map will fall,

Bnobob

Bnobob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The Big Game

I lost about 5 deposits. I stopped playing and came back after a while and managed to recover. the reason for stopping was to be busy with something different

I won the deposits I made and the amount was enough for me to learn how to play there was no withdrawal

Tredford

Tredford

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My first year was terrible too!
About a year before Black Friday, I read Phil Helmuth's book and thought I would win a bunch of money because it was so easy! "Ram and jam, baby!"
But I lost about $100 and then stopped playing Limit Holdem.
Some home tournaments financed my online games.
Black Friday hit and my account was frozen. But, being from canada, FT was bought by PS and I got my money back PLUS a gift.
After that I havent made any deposits and I'm playing small stakes MTTs, mostly for fun and at break even or better every year.