Alexey Shley

Alexey Shley

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Today, November 1st marks the 187th anniversary of poker. The first poker was played with a deck of 20 cards (hold'em appeared later). How will you celebrate this event?

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
As far as I know, poker is a game that has been around for about 500 years. I don't know where you got this information from, but I think that if it were true, all poker sites would make a big promotion on this occasion.

NightStalker

NightStalker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I've never heard about it.

But today, I'm playing poker as well.

Sivraj

Sivraj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Be thankful of this game that can help you make a lot of money. :)

Rost

Rost

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think you confused poker with some other game.
At least no one knows about it. :D

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey!

I read that the first mention of poker dates back to the 16th century, but there is still controversy.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Don't know if this would be accurate but we do know poker will be played forever more. We hope anyways.

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I might have a beer later on lol but this infos usually ar not accurate yet it's interesting to know when the poker was invented:)

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Today, November 1st marks the 187th anniversary of poker. The first poker was played with a deck of 20 cards (hold'em appeared later). How will you celebrate this event?

Wow, 20 cards! Might as well play euchre with that deck! Guess it would be few short though.

Going celebrate this week by playing a few SnG's.

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow....feels like I've been playing longer than that!!

I might do a large "buy-in", today, to celebrate. It's been a long time since I won something decent.

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wikipedia says that Joseph Crowell, english actor wrote down first that he played this game as a 20 cards format in 1829. However poker is probably was mixed till had a familiar type as today's one, so the very first versions could be remain unknown.

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congratulations poker, you are getting old.:icon_bigs👏👏🎊🎉
I would love to celebrate by earning good money, but I think that's a little unlikely.
So all that's left is to say thank you for being part of this amazing community.:smile:

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The historical definition of the origin of poker is considered difficult to be precise. A theory cited by historians of the game reports a text, dated 1934, by Jonathan H. Green, as one of the oldest written references to poker ever reported.

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This from history.com:

"The game we know as poker is believed to have ancient roots that go back nearly 1,000 years, crossing several continents and cultures. Some historians say poker’s origins can be traced to a domino-card game played by a 10th-century Chinese emperor; others claim it is a descendant of the Persian card game “As Nas,” which dates back to the 16th century. Poker’s closest European predecessor was Poque, which caught on in France in the 17th century. Poque and its German equivalent, pochen, were both based on the 16th-century Spanish game primero, which featured three cards dealt to each player and bluffing (or betting high on poor cards) as a key part of the game. French colonists brought Poque to their settlements in North America, including New Orleans and the surrounding area, which became part of the United States thanks to the Louisiana Purchase of 1803. English-speaking settlers in the region Anglicized Poque to poker and adopted features of the modern game, including five cards for each player and (by 1834) a 52-card deck."

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, I thought determining year poker began was tough enough, so an exact day like November 1st caught me off guard a bit. Shame it doesn't seem to be verified...oh well, still roughly 1 in 364 chance it did begin on November 1st though ;)