$1000 Dollar Bankroll: Weekly updates - Feel free to join me

calibanboy

calibanboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a plan to focus my poker. I will start Tomorrow with a $1000 bankroll on pokerstars. My Plan is to provide a WEEKLY update on this thread as to progress until I hit Either $10,000 or I go Bankrupt.

My Initial Rules:

1) I will be playing 50NL. Whilst it may be a little lax on BRM rules I am comfortable with the risk. If I get to $2000 I will review the level I am playing at.

2) Upto the $2000 milestone, Every time I hit 5000 FPP I will take the $50 rakeback and add to the bankroll. (I am a Goldstar at the time of starting).

3) I will multi-table upto 4 tables at a time & play Full Ring

4) I will play a minimum of 1000 hands a week ( but will more than often be far more)

5) When I either hit the $2000 first milestone or go broke I will post my player stats for people to analyse if they so wish. If I hit the $2000 then I can adapt my "playing rules - eg limits of play",

6) I will post an update every Week on the Friday or Saturday ( depending on personal commitments.)

I am happy ( in fact would like ) anyone else to Join me on with the same $1000 Bankroll. If you do join me I am very happy for you to have the different rules ( eg you may decide to play S&Gs?). However The aim would be to either get to $10,000 or go broke.

Unlike the other thread running this will be a Weekly update thread.

Best of Luck with your poker

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow intresting plan, good luck with it I hope that you can reach the $10,000. Think I shall be keeping an eye on this thread.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
FYI the $50 bonus on Stars SUCKS.

There is 5,400 FPP sat's to the Sunday million, 10 players sit and gos each awarding 4 seats. They give you an $86 equity in each game, and the $t can be sold for 98-99% of their value pretty easily. Plus the moneys dosnt have to be cleared. Good luck.

Coasterdude28

Coasterdude28

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This sounds like a very interesting plan. I will try my best to keep an eye on your progress. I wish I could join you in the challenge, but that will have to wait for a while. Best of luck in the games. I hope you reach your goal.

A

Aleeki

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd love to join you on this. Just don't htink I can vlaidate a $1000 bankroll right now, plus i'm in a bad place with my poker at the moment having a really bad run.

This is definitely something I would like to try at some stage though, so I will be very interested in your results playing at the stakes you play.

JimmyBrizzy

JimmyBrizzy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'll join you as soon as I reach 1,000 dollars.

Godspeed!!!

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sick; just dont take the $50 for 5000 FPP bonus because like TB said, its way below FPP $ equity

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good luck in this challenge Calin. I'm hoping to do something similar but different (if ya know what I mean) next month so maybe we can keep each other going.

calibanboy

calibanboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the words of encouragement folks. I look forward to some of you joining me in few weeks time.

I take your point about the FPP's. I will review that once I get to $2000 ( asuming that I do ) as I cannot change the rules until I get there.

Week 1:

Opening Balance: $1000

Updates provided next Friday.

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i wish u luck calibanboy
1 question tho, are going to try and reach ur goals by a specific day?

calibanboy

calibanboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i wish u luck calibanboy
1 question tho, are going to try and reach ur goals by a specific day?

Hello Pantini,

Many thanks for you wishes of good luck.

Its a good point. I know that most goals should be SMART ( specific, measurable, acheivable, realistic, timely). I guess I should put a time goal in place.

Lets say that on December 31st 2008 I will measure my success.

Last edited:
zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You'll measure your success a week ago? I could join you, my current goal is $1k by the beginning of next month.

calibanboy

calibanboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You'll measure your success a week ago? I could join you, my current goal is $1k by the beginning of next month.

it will be good to have you on board Zachvac

calibanboy

calibanboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Week 1 Report

So I have now started this challenge that I set myself. However i did make one adaption of the rules before I started. I decided to play 6-max instead of full ring.

Key Stats:

Starting Bankroll: $1000
End Of week Bankroll: $1204
Hands: 2480
VPIP 14.8%
Raise% pre flop 11%
AF 2.1
BB/100 8.26
Showdowns Won: 55.74

So the good news is that despite not playing as many hands as I had hoped in the first week, I have at least made a profit. I have no idea how these stats measure up against other players, however i guess the sample size is to low at the moment anyhow. Its especially pleasing as in the first 50 hands I had my AA cracked by KK.

Its still early days, so lets see what week 2 Brings....

calibanboy

calibanboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh Dear, A Very Bad week.

Week 2 Report

Quote :"Its still early days, so lets see what week 2 Brings...."

Key Stats:

Start Of week Bankroll: $1204
End Of Week Bankroll: $1007
Hands To Date: 5270
VPIP 16.2%
Raise% pre flop 12.07%
AF 2.5
BB/100 So small it does not matter
Showdowns Won: 50.70

Oh Dear. Week 2 Brought a mixture of bad luck, bad play coupled with a twinge of tilt. I lost on 5 of the 7 Days. At the worst of it my Bankroll was down at $713. This means that I had lost 9.6 Buyins on just 5 days and 1500 Hands. I do not know why I lost it....actually I do. It started with this hand. It started with a hand.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver Cards)
Hero ($45.70)
Button ($50.25)
SB ($59.50)
BB ($50)
UTG ($33.65)
MP ($22.95)
Preflop: Hero is CO with
5d.gif
5h.gif
2 folds, Hero calls $0.50, 2 folds, BB raises to $3, Hero calls $2.50.
Flop: ($6.25)
ks.gif
6h.gif
5s.gif
(2 players)
BB bets $4, Hero calls $4.
Turn: ($14.25)
3h.gif
(2 players)
BB bets $9, Hero calls $9.
River: ($32.25)
ah.gif
(2 players)
BB bets $34 (All-In), Hero calls $29.70 (All-In).
Final Pot: $91.65
Results in white below:
BB has Ad Ac (three of a kind, aces).
Hero has 5d 5h (three of a kind, fives).
Outcome: BB wins $95.95.

The thing that annoyed me the most is that I had that gut feeling that I was beat once the Ace landed. The player, style of play and betting patterns pointed to it. I called anyway and was very annoyed with myself. I was also annoyed that I did not reraise the Turn. I would normally do this. However the hand was played fast. I Have seen this pattern many times. It is very often AA when this happens. The opponent bets the flop, bets the turn heavy and hopes people fall away, then normally bets all-in on the river with the overcards ( and gets stacked by a set or two pair). Thats why I was really annoyed with myself.

Anyway within a short time the hand below happened..... I know it happens all the time but that fact that I lots this 90%'r so soon after the above hand (where I was annoyed with myself) meant I was on a mini tilt.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)
UTG ($50.50)
MP ($40.65)
Button ($14.40)
Hero ($61.80)
BB ($32.90)
Preflop: Hero is SB with J
heart.gif
, J
spade.gif
1 fold, MP calls $0.50, Button calls $0.50, Hero raises to $2.5, 1 fold, MP calls $2, Button folds.
Flop: ($6) T
spade.gif
, A
heart.gif
, J
diamond.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets $10, MP raises to $20, Hero raises to $59.3, MP calls $18.15 (All-In).
Turn: ($82.30) T
club.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)
River: ($82.30) A
club.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)
Final Pot: $82.30
Results in white below:
MP has Jc As (full house, aces full of jacks).
Hero has Jh Js (full house, jacks full of aces).
Outcome: MP wins $82.30.

The worst thing is that this mini tilt co-incided with a period of dried up missed flops, calling stations calling by CB's with nothing and hitting higher pairs on river with 1 overcard etc. However the long of short of it is I lowered my standards. I lost preflop allins with QQ twice, when I knew I was beat. I asked questions with my re-raises and ignored the answers

Hence I Took a day off.

Today I came back on won $200 today playing 1500 hands of standard steady poker
So after 2 weeks I am back where I started. I am having a few days off again as I am taking the girlfriend away, but I will be back on monday with a 1000 Hands.

Hope your week was better...

Last edited:
pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well keep grinding it out calibanboy,
everyone goes through bad seccions and periods.And u really couldnt do anything about those 2 beats u took
atleast ur still up, small but up none the less
good luck in week 3 :)

calibanboy

calibanboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh Dear, A Very Bad week.

Week 2 Report

Quote :"Its still early days, so lets see what week 2 Brings...."

Key Stats:

Start Of week Bankroll: $1204
End Of Week Bankroll: $1007
Hands To Date: 5270
VPIP 16.2%
Raise% pre flop 12.07%
AF 2.5
BB/100 So small it does not matter
Showdowns Won: 50.70

Oh Dear. Week 2 Brought a mixture of bad luck, bad play coupled with a twinge of tilt. I lost on 5 of the 7 Days. At the work of it my Bankroll was down at $713. This means that I had lost 9.6 Buyins on just 5 days and 1500 Hands. I do not know why I lost it....actually I do. It started with this hand. It started with a hand.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver Cards)
Hero ($45.70)
Button ($50.25)
SB ($59.50)
BB ($50)
UTG ($33.65)
MP ($22.95)
Preflop: Hero is CO with
5d.gif
5h.gif
2 folds, Hero calls $0.50, 2 folds, BB raises to $3, Hero calls $2.50.
Flop: ($6.25)
ks.gif
6h.gif
5s.gif
(2 players)
BB bets $4, Hero calls $4.
Turn: ($14.25)
3h.gif
(2 players)
BB bets $9, Hero calls $9.
River: ($32.25)
ah.gif
(2 players)
BB bets $34 (All-In), Hero calls $29.70 (All-In).
Final Pot: $91.65
Results in white below:
BB has Ad Ac (three of a kind, aces).
Hero has 5d 5h (three of a kind, fives).
Outcome: BB wins $95.95.

The thing that annoyed me the most is that I had that gut feeling that I was beat once the Ace landed. The player, style of play and betting patterns pointed to it. I called anyway and was very annoyed with myself. I was also annoyed that I did not reraise the Turn. I would normally do this. However the hand was played fast. I Have seen this pattern many times. It is very often AA when this happens. The opponent bets the flop, bets the turn heavy and hopes people fall away, then normally bets all-in on the river with the overcards ( and gets stacked by a set or two pair). Thats why I was really annoyed with myself.

Anyway within a short time the hand below happened..... I know it happens all the time but that fact that I lots this 90%'r so soon after the above hand (where I was annoyed with myself) meant I was on a mini tilt.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)
UTG ($50.50)
MP ($40.65)
Button ($14.40)
Hero ($61.80)
BB ($32.90)
Preflop: Hero is SB with J
heart.gif
, J
spade.gif
1 fold, MP calls $0.50, Button calls $0.50, Hero raises to $2.5, 1 fold, MP calls $2, Button folds.
Flop: ($6) T
spade.gif
, A
heart.gif
, J
diamond.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets $10, MP raises to $20, Hero raises to $59.3, MP calls $18.15 (All-In).
Turn: ($82.30) T
club.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)
River: ($82.30) A
club.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)
Final Pot: $82.30
Results in white below:
MP has Jc As (full house, aces full of jacks).
Hero has Jh Js (full house, jacks full of aces).
Outcome: MP wins $82.30.

The worst thing is that this mini tilt co-incided with a period of dried up missed flops, calling stations calling by CB's with nothing and hitting higher pairs on river with 1 overcard etc. However the long of short of it is I lowered my standards. I lost preflop allins with QQ twice, when I knew I was beat. I asked questions with my re-raises and ignored the answers

Hence I Took a day off.

Today I came back on won $200 today playing 1500 hands of standard steady poker ( with a luck that my made hands drew in players too).

So after 2 weeks I am back where I started. I am having a few days off again as I am taking the girlfriend away, but I will be back on monday with a 1000 Hands.

Hope your week was better...

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management