Min or Max Buy-in: Which is better?

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I was playing some cash games yesterday at 10nl and some players were coming to the table with $4 instead of the max $10. In your opinion, is it better to come to any table with the max or does it make since to bring the min. As for me, I bring the max because I can win $10 with an all in where as I can only win $4 at the min. Also, with the max, it's harder for other players, with a bigger stack, to push me around. Anyway, GL to you all at the tables.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was playing some cash games yesterday at 10nl and some players were coming to the table with $4 instead of the max $10. In your opinion, is it better to come to any table with the max or does it make since to bring the min. As for me, I bring the max because I can win $10 with an all in where as I can only win $4 at the min. Also, with the max, it's harder for other players, with a bigger stack, to push me around. Anyway, GL to you all at the tables.

Thank you for posting.

Short stacking as a strategy can be good but we want to identify the game dynamics that it would work with before doing it.

As to bigger stacks not getting pushed around compared to small stacks. You would have to not play a small stack strategy for that to be true. So do not ever buy in short and play the same ranges you play with a big stack with the same strategy. Short stack strategy is about getting your stack in preflop or on flop not trying to play 3 streets.
In fact short stack strat puts a lot of pressure on the big stacks when it is 3 way it is the ultimate squeeze size stack.

Hope this helps
:):)

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks eetenor for the reply. That makes a lot of since. I'll start looking at these short stacks differently now

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In general, I think that mostly it all depends on your style of play. Obviously, players who prefer an aggressive style of play will prefer a larger stack.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion is best to max buy in. and I always do, it gives me more playing chips. and in theory it takes money to make money so the more money the easier it is to make more.

K

Kraanjhb7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Max buy in for me too. Just feels the cards are more favourable when doing so.

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for all the replies. There is one thing I don't do, but I see a lot of players do it. That is to reup even if they lose a dollar. I like to see how much I've lost out of my max buyin. That way my focus is on winning it back. Same way if I'm winning, and then my focus is to keep from losing it back. Well GL at the tables.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for all the replies. There is one thing I don't do, but I see a lot of players do it. That is to reup even if they lose a dollar. I like to see how much I've lost out of my max buyin. That way my focus is on winning it back. Same way if I'm winning, and then my focus is to keep from losing it back. Well GL at the tables.

Thank you for posting

If we are playing big stack strategy it is best to maintain a large stack on the table. So if we fall below 90 BB the best strategy is to top up when several weaker players have 100bb or more. It is a good idea to have a note pad open and make notes of how much your top ups total rather than letting your stack get below 90bb's

The reason- we are leaving 10bb's or more in another players stack when we get all-in if they have the bigger stack. For poker grinders that is a huge loss per 100bb.

Hope this helps

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks again for the reply eetenor. It's good to hear everyone's opinion on this subject. And it all makes good sense. GL

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cache games are designed for a long session and I think it makes no sense to go with a minimum.It seems that you are doing everything right-what your game will show...

T

TriszPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always buy-in with max if you have an edge on the player pool / table. If you dont have one, study or dont play. Or be ready to lose your money. But then might as well play roulette, sports betting, or mtt's , takes lower skill level and much more entertaining then grinding a microlimit cash game with 0 money on the line.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally, I would never intentionally put myself into a short stack shove/fold strategy. There is just too much variance here and we really put ourselves at the mercy of the cards for this. Being short stacked is a disadvantage, even if we have a good short stack strategy.

A big stack gives us full "chip utility". In order to play poker with every available tool, we need chips to do so. We have diminished fold equity when we are short stacked. Even if we do not bluff a lot, we are sometimes better off getting folds on our middle strength hands.

Going in short stacked, in order to limit our losses, is a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy. We have made it tougher to win, so this must mean it is easier to lose.

Good luck and God Bless.

Leeyonah96

Leeyonah96

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I am playing I play Max buy in.

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes buy in for max amount is considered a proper confident way to buy in.

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the new replies. Well I see most players will start with max. I've seen those short stack players lose over and over. But I guess that's good for us.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the new replies. Well I see most players will start with max. I've seen those short stack players lose over and over. But I guess that's good for us.

Thank you for posting.

The short stack may be a sign of weakness so we should be taking notes on those players- if that is correct then iso raising them often is how we max our equity from them. We want to do everything we can to win those small stacks and if they are weak it is fine to lose a hand to them as we continue to target them for their stack.

We need to be sure they are playing incorrectly before we target them but a few hands should tell the story.

Hope this helps

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thank you for posting.

The short stack may be a sign of weakness so we should be taking notes on those players- if that is correct then iso raising them often is how we max our equity from them. We want to do everything we can to win those small stacks and if they are weak it is fine to lose a hand to them as we continue to target them for their stack.

We need to be sure they are playing incorrectly before we target them but a few hands should tell the story.

Hope this helps

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello for sure if entering with the maximum stack doubles you have a higher profit but if entering with a minimum stack the profit would be less I think the question is which style will play in aggressive or passive or slowplay.

Good luck to me

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this is a certain defensive strategy of your opponents. This is done to avoid serious losses. They win less, but also get less serious bad beats. The player divides the starting stack into two parts. He takes a slightly smaller size if he is not ready to throw a draw against aggressive bets or even fold on a late street. For example, if you face KK vs AA, you can lose $10, and the opponent will lose only $4.
The point is to go to the showdown with a good hand, regardless of the size of the opponent's bets.

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Pros advice only max buy-ins. But I came to conclusion that min buy-in is also acceptable if you play cash to complete some challenge, and not to win or lose maximum.

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That depends, sometimes when i see fishes on table with bigger buyin i sit on tables wich are higher than my br lets me, than i try make big money with smaller buyin!

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can also freely lose $ 10 by going all-in. This is why other players only take the minimum. For freedom of action when all-in.

P

pauloandre100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Always play with 100bbs

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It all depends if you are regular at that level. In general, those who enter with the minimum purchase do so to double their entry and then withdraw

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks again for the great replies you all. This is what I mostly do. I buyin with the max, and if I lose that, then I leave the table for awhile. That's really off on a different subject, sorry. Anyway, we all seem to agree on bringing the max to the table. On question. Say you come to the table with the max, and you double it, do you play different? GL today