You MUST learn all forms of poker to improve your play???

Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think there are 2 significant issues here: One posted by the OP, and the other by AG.

AG makes the point that the time to learn another form of poker is not worth it since that time can be spent better on improving one's NLHE game.

The OP makes the point that you don't know what your best game is until you try it. (That is independent of any benefits or time loss.)

I think this is a difficult issue bacuse NLHE is the dominant game. Yet, at very high stakes, PLO rules!

Vhyre

Vhyre

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If NLHE is a cash cow....Skill in other poker variants will build you a herd of cash cows :D

B

BrianBrady

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
HORSE

I think playing all the different games helps my play, it certainly is where I seem to stack up the chips. My personality may have something to do with it. I don't like to do the same thing over and over; it bores me. I know with patience anyone can win at RAZZ if they pay attention to what others have, especially noting exposed final hands to see if others play with paint in the pocket all the time. I guess I just like the change of tempo.:icon_sant

CubanaD64

CubanaD64

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have the tendency to side with the argument stating that the other games help improve your overall play. I usually side most with the "Razz builds patience" argument just because it really has helped me. I used to be ridiculously LAG before I started playing well in Razz. And Omaha really helped me understand flop textures and the majority of post flop play. In either case, the different games really do help your overall poker play, and I'm saying this from experience.

On that note, the biggest reason I play all the different games is just cuz NLHE gets really freaking monotonous! :p

CAPT. ZIGZAG

CAPT. ZIGZAG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is a difficult issue bacuse NLHE is the dominant game. Yet, at very high stakes, PLO rules!

Smile_small.jpg

-

R

ruffcut68

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing a Free Roll HORSE tourney at FULL TILT just to try it. Interesting combination of skill sets required. Definitely has improved my hand assesment and table reading skill. Might not get into the money but had a blast playing.

DetroitJimmy

DetroitJimmy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play NL holdem only.Well not only,just 99% of the time.Guess I'm a one trick pony at best.

You need not play all the others to sharpen your skills at NL.Might make you a better HORSE player,and maybe even a better overall poker player,but not a better NL player.

For example look at Phil Hellmuth.He is one of the best NL players there is(and he'll tell you that himself:rolleyes:).The fact is he is not very good at all at other poker games.

I think Doyle said it best :"No-Limit Texas holdem is the Cadillac of poker".There is the perfect amount of information for a good player to win over one who is not so good.

I in no way am against other poker,it's just not for me.All of my time invested will be in improving my NL holdem game(cash and tourney).That is what I believe will make me a better NL player.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The title of this thread looks like a question...

I think to get better at NLHE you play NLHE. You don't play tee-ball to get better at playing baseball. You don't run track to get better at swimming.

I do find that Omaha is a great mental workout for reading the board and your opponent's.. and it's just a sick sick game!

I like stud hi .. but i don't think it really help's me with NLHE.

A 100m sprinter does weight training and long distance running for stamina :)

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i find stud and razz are more luck since u can't protect your hands in limit. omaha h/l is alot more luck than nl holdem.

Its funny that everyone thinks the form of poker they play is skill, but the other forms are luck :D

Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its funny that everyone thinks the form of poker they play is skill, but the other forms are luck :D

Actually, excluding the natural bias that may exist, some forms of poker are subject to more luck than others, especially against not very good opponents.

All limit versions of poker are very succeptible to "fish schooling", where many bad players play incorrectly, but collectively, their bad plays are less bad because of the odds they create for each other.

A good player's edge is greatly diminished in such games since the odds of winning are much smaller than a table with say just a few fishies. That translates into much bigger variance(even for passive tables, let alone wild tables). And big variance reduces your profitability when you apply BR management.

If you play with very good players, then I think the various forms of poker are much closer with respect to skill level requirements.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually, excluding the natural bias that may exist, some forms of poker are subject to more luck than others, especially against not very good opponents.

All limit versions of poker are very succeptible to "fish schooling", where many bad players play incorrectly, but collectively, their bad plays are less bad because of the odds they create for each other.

A good player's edge is greatly diminished in such games since the odds of winning are much smaller than a table with say just a few fishies. That translates into much bigger variance(even for passive tables, let alone wild tables). And big variance reduces your profitability when you apply BR management.

If you play with very good players, then I think the various forms of poker are much closer with respect to skill level requirements.

New thread to avoid hijack.

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lmao , and the donkest posts came from the ones with high post counts and good skills in nlhe .

duh , other games aren't going to help you play nlhe better per say , but what the op is saying is that playing other games with different skill sets , helps you learn those different skills and improves your overall game , making you a well rounded player.

skills or lessons learned in any one thing can often be applied to many many other things not associated . :) jmdao