WTSD% questions

L

leeroy818

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

I moved over to playing cash from SNG's recently. I'm about 30k hands in which is obviously a small sample, but I figured enough to start looking at some of my stats / frequencies to find leaks etc.

Something that stood out was my WTSD% and WSD%. Mine are 34% and 60% respectively.

From what I understand, 34% is a little high. How should we interpret that? What tendencies do we see in players who get to SD at that frequency?

From what I also understand, the stat above should be used in combination WSD% - is that correct? Mine being 60% seems pretty good. Is it likely that 60% is unsustainable, generally speaking? I figure it might be, if I'm getting to SD as often as I am.

Or... is 30k hands not enough to read too much into these particular stats?

Thanks for any input on these stats and interpretation of them!

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
WSD% or W$SD is indeed pretty unreliable in small sample sizes because the hand will be decided before showdown more often than not.

Players with a high WTSD% are either loose passive calling stations, or tight passive or tight aggressive nits. Calling stations obviously see more showdowns because they can't fold a hand. Tight passive players see more showdowns because their pre-flop range is stronger, and they're less likely to blow their opponent of a hand. TAGs see slightly more showdowns than LAGs because their pre-flop range is stronger.

WTSD% is also somewhat player pool dependent. With a passive and sticky pre-flop - and post-flop player pool, you yourself have less incentive to bluff and more opportunity to check it through also raising the stat a little bit.

I wouldn't worry too much about it for now. Warning bells should ring when this stat is high AND you're losing money at showdown AND you're showing a breakeven or positive red line (in this case you're probably a calling station). Not to say that a positive red line is bad it's obviously not, but that's generally only really feasible at higher limits or against very nitty player pools.