Would you ever fold pocket kings preflop ?

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very rarely, only if I am very close to the money and the initial payouts are good.

Z

zeist2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, i folded even AA in a situation just before getting into the money (big prices). I would be very sick when i lossed the hand and missed the big price.

I

Ikado21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sadly not often enough
Had my Aces/KIngs cracked few spots before the bubble way to often

Bennoda

Bennoda

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no, I can't, even if it's a $ 5000 tournament, how can I reset them?)

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In life, I will not fold kings preflop. The exception is nit players. AA in KK will always be considered a cooler if the reg is aggressive preflop or there was a corresponding dynamic.KK or AA preflop can only be folded in satellites.

Last edited:
N

NikhilSegel

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
KK pre flop is a hard hand to fold. Cash table almost never folding KK
But once one bring ICM into play in an MTT scenario, there are times when I would fold KK, especially on a big money jump if the preflop aggressor has 4 bet jammed my 3 bet and put me all in or if it is on the FT and the money jump is substantial enough and action before me has been aggressive.

ASMautoneJr

ASMautoneJr

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i am not talking about a bubble situation in a tournament but in general both in tourneys and cash games but especially in cash games

would you ever fold KK preflop ?

of course not ..... KK in pre flop is all in and that's it ...... if you lose ... you win ... and if you win you win even more !!!

Lenka65

Lenka65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

I even threw away pocket aces. It all depends on the state of the board.

B

B1BOMBER

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hell yes! There are a few different situations where I don't even have to think about it just dump it! If you have 3 or more go all-in preflop I just dump KK without hesitation. Even if only 1 of them holds an A the others could have suited connectors or AA or even have connectors such as 7 8, 9 10, or A K that can make a straight or 2 pair ect. in a tourney you have to think of the long haul not just think about taking down 1 hand, and in a cash game that could be a very costly mistake. I played 3 tourneys yesterday and lost twice with K K so I look at the total picture and decide. Just remember K K is only a pair and it can be beat!!!!:D:D

Momo9292

Momo9292

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The way the game is played nowadays, super agressively, 5bet jams for 100bb with A5s, and AKs. I just don't think it is possible. 100% call in every spot for me personally.

inox73

inox73

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
after seeing what happens to tonkaa in scoop my decision is going to say yes, i had to make me a picture about rythm and skills of other players then i decide to play or to fold
(by the way i watched scoop mainevent on stars and saw that one place before they going into pricemoney one player has AA tonkaa KK and another QQ all going all in and AA wons, bitter but so is poker)

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop, very hard to fold em. I can go 3bet then call 4bet or even allin most of the time. I remember folding them a couple of time this year PF because of 1st the bubble and someone has nme covered 2 to extra tight players who have me covered

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes! In a Heads-up game I once was dealt pocket Kings, but my opponent had that "Aces look" and it disgusted me. You know how rare that would be to have KK run up against AA in a Heads-up game? Ugh, seriously. Even live reads with strong confidence tells could easily mean AK, QQ and so on (even exactly one combination of KK since you hold KK too :D ) and your holding crushes those.

It seemed to defy logic to fold that hand, but I couldn't convince myself into playing it. Yes. Mistake or not, I had the read and knew the "look" and I folded KK face up...my shocked opponent showed me AA!

Ha! How many people are capable of making that rare play correctly? Sounds crazy to say, but yes, I folded KK preflop correctly. Without such a strong read, I don't think I'd ever really consider this in a regular game though - AA or KK is probably all right getting All-In with my chips and if I lose then so be it.

Naturally I think I could also fold AA in addition to KK and such if on a satellite bubble, or some other dramatic spot that might justify it. Even if I was at the wsop Main Event on some money bubble, I think I'd have no second thoughts about going All-In with AA or KK though. KK is simply too strong of a hand to not play.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You have to weigh up the situation as it unfolds, I have on occasion folded Kings pre-flop even Aces, but on other occasions I have called an all-in bet with pocket eights, Why?
Because before the action got to me the player on my left shoved all in and I believed he had an ace at the very least, there were also two other players who called his all-in bet and I then thought perhaps they were playing a similar hand, A/K or A/Q etc.
I didn't think for a second anyone would call with anything less, and even if someone was lucky enough to be holding a big pocket pair like A/A, why did they not raise to isolate? I decided that my pocket eights might improve, where pocket Aces couldn't if the other two players were all-in with A/K or A/Q etc. So I went with my gut feeling, re-raised with my 8/8 and took out 3 players.
Some would say I was lucky, Some might say I was a skillful player, I prefer to think I had a good read on all three players and went with my intuition. Any pair pre-flop has a good chance of winning over anyone holding Ace/Rag, especially if three players had decided to play with A/K or A/Q or whatever.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

A

alge0815

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I probably wouldn't fold pocket kings preflop. Except a bubble situation. There are so many situations were you would have the best hand but of course you could be unlucky. Just pocket Aces could get you a better situation preflop and after the flop all is possible. Thats poker.

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
of course not ..... KK in pre flop is all in and that's it ...... if you lose ... you win ... and if you win you win even more !!!

what do you mean with "if you lose you win" ?

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have done it in some situations. However, at the beginning of the tournament I would go all-in.

Folding in Poker