Would you ever fold pocket kings preflop ?

efranto2286

efranto2286

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I never let go pair of KK. The only time I did it was one before the bubble :D to collect... And because the opponent had more chips and could eliminate me otherwise I would have called

S

Spores

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I cannot do it. All the while it is a hand that has cost me many a tournament.
All it takes is an A with some random kicker.

It wouldn't cost unless it was so physicly impossible for me to just ditch that pair of kings. I can ditch queens, i should be able to do it.

Well, reprogramming self a little bit at a time i guess.

elchonga

elchonga

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I have done it several times
It depends on the reading you have of the table and the bubble

D

dfergus1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Feedback on Folding Pocket Kings

So I played a $400 tourney at the Wynn this week. Out of 352 players, we are three players away from the money. I am probably 7th lowest chips with $105,000 left and we are at a bubble situation with three left before we are ITM. I have around 20 BB at this point.

Loose player in 2nd position open shoves all-in for $100,000. I look down at pocket KhKd in middle position. After thinking for a bit, I decide to go all-in. Villain shows A-10. Flop comes 2d-9d-Jd. Turn comes 5c and river is the dreaded Ac, smashing his two-outer, sealing my loss in the tournament after 12.5 hours of play. :(

Knowing that this player was very loose and could be jamming with top 25% of his hands, should I fold Kings in this situation? I was already a bit low on chips and a win would put me above average in average chip stack.

Such a waste of 12.5 hours, but just curious what others think given the situation. I appreciate any feedback.

P

PokerPro2022

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It happened, there's nothing wrong with that. Especially when a passage further in the tournament is at stake, or a bubble

hjuosh

hjuosh

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
Of course Yes. It could be folded. Depends on to many situations. It's to difficult in deed.

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes I've folded pocket KK's on the occasion like if the ITM is close by or the bubble

mushthebush

mushthebush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
In tournaments I would possibly fold during bubble time, depending on circumstances. But usually it's a really easy decision pre-flop. I sometimes slow play them and watch out for an ace or an uncomfortable board and then I kinda have to fold post-flop.

In cash games it's mainly all in preflop and no reason to fold unless it's against someone ridiculously tight, then but very rarely I could fold.

I have lost a fair share of hands with them but the percentages usually do the kings plenty of justice and so they are highly profitable.

S

Superhansi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In most cases I would go All In

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have never done it, although I would consider it in the bubble.

H

Hedz

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont think I ever could tbh, to be only losing to 4 cards possible pre flop I don't think I would

hjuosh

hjuosh

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
I just be eliminated :eek: I was on the bubble with KK. I flop another king so I got trips. I obviously go allin... The villan has 23 suited. Then the river gave to the villain flush. End of statement. :joyman::(

Last edited:
H

HaroldHouse

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even on the bubble with an idea I am against AA. I probably wont fold KK. Hitting a K on the flop is a possibility and a far fetched possibility of hitting a straight or flush the AA misses. Or I may just be up against QQ, JJ or th other 2 Ks. Im not looking to cash I am always looking to take 1st place. , , You're not going to take 1st folding hands like that.
Of course this is my amateur opinion , so dont put much stock in it.

M

magnus369

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't believe I've ever made that incredible fold yet, just by sitting out, but I think that if you have precisely a reading of your opponent that everything indicates that you may be facing pair of aces, it's quite likely that you can find the fold in that scenario. However I think it's much more likely to happen in the live poker scenario, I think the physical tells, trash talk and other tells really help you make decisions during a hand.

Imagine the following scenario, you are playing at a cash game table for hours, and there is a player there who is complaining all the time that he is hungry, at one point the player in question asked for food, and it arrived right after he had made a good and powerful 3bet, you have a pair of kings in hand and you are out of position, the player doesn't even look at the food, he just observes the hand, and he was complaining all the time about how hungry he was, even during the hand, now ask yourself, is there any particular reason for a person to forget even his own hunger and get more interested in the game? I believe so, it would be an activation of our reward system when we see a pair of aces, everything indicates that we expect something and it is winning clear, so I would conclude that the fact of seeing a player complain of hunger, and then ignore his food, may be a sign of attention due to his great expectation of the situation and this would be enough for me to give a fold.

But in the other scenarios it's very difficult for me to see myself folding pair of kings, pre-flop, I guess my religion doesn't allow that.

FF2586

FF2586

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Hey !
I don't recommend anyone to fold KK preflop.
ICM could be a good reason to fold KK. Imagine at the final table with 6 players remaining, short stack shoves, mp isolates all in, chip leader 4bets all in on the button and you are on the BB with KK.
I would fold more than half the time (depends on the buyin and on the players)

Gl at the tables

B

beatlebug

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes I would fold them depending if the others have aces. This would be safe to do it. If not, then you wouldn't have a good chance to fold them

Beatlebug

dongato2

dongato2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think not, it is a very strong hand, it also depends on what stage of the tournament you are in and how much stack you have

A

Artexx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it never happened to me that i folded KK preflop. Many times the aggressor played hands like AJo+ or JJ+. All those hands you beat preflop. Of course things can change on the streets...been beaten hard against low suits with my KK :(

Andrii Lubentsov

Andrii Lubentsov

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I can fold KK on the bubble with a small stack.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I have even folded A/A pre-flop in some situations, and been proven right after seeing the flop, turn and river cards, it all depends on the situation of the game.
Early on in a tournament with a hundred or more players all trying to get to the money, it would be a case of "sure lets do it" get it over and done with, especially if I have a low stack and needed a double up, but closer to the bubble I along with many players tend to be more careful with all-in situations and prefer to wait for a better spot.
I don't like being taken advantage of and if someone is raising on my BB in the game I will sometimes shove all-in with any 2 cards, and just pray to the Poker Gods. My personal philosophy is if you cannot afford to lose the buy-in, you really should not be in the game, it's that simple.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

L

Langerz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hero steps away from poker for a few years

Hero returns to poker and wonders “I wonder how the game has evolved since I left? Is it all deep GTO theory? Did poker snowie solve poker and the games are dry?”

Hero logs onto poker forum to find a 11 page thread on folding KK Preflop

Serious answer…. Only really weird scenarios like on the bubble, ITM as the short stack and the whole table shoves, I somehow ended up buying in with my life savings and a player that covers me open shoves, or a player raises and accidentally exposes his Aces

G

garpsc

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think not. but it is a tough situation. how can you fold such a nice hand?
maybe if i am with a small stack and every one at the table shoves, but even then, I am not sure if I can fold.

Folding in Poker