Would you call or fold this hand? 2

H

HSmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
6 seat, micro stakes cash game, villain is utg+1 and can be aggressive.
I am on the button with 10h 9d and call a 2 big blind raise, we go heads up to the flop.
Flop: 7 A 9 - all hearts, villain checks and i raise 3/4 pot, villain calls.
Turn: 8c - i have flush and straight draw with 2nd pair, i bet half the pot and villain calls.
River: 9s - i have trips and villain bets the full pot.
Would you call or fold? Or even re raise, i never would as im only getting called by a flush imo.
I called and he showed 44.
How would you have played this hand in terms of bet sizes or checking? My plan on the river was to check if the villain checked again, thinking back i dont think he would check a flush so should have bet maybe 2/5 pot for value and fold to a re raise.
Let me know your opinions please :)

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
With my luck I usually run into completed draws better than mine on these boards so I am inclined to check and mark the fish for next time. I would likely have folded to his river bet.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
6 seat, micro stakes cash game, villain is utg+1 and can be aggressive.
I am on the button with 10h 9d and call a 2 big blind raise, we go heads up to the flop.
Flop: 7 A 9 - all hearts, villain checks and i raise 3/4 pot, villain calls.
Turn: 8c - i have flush and straight draw with 2nd pair, i bet half the pot and villain calls.
Would you call or fold? Or even re raise, i never would as im only getting called by a flush imo.
I called and he showed 44.
How would you have played this hand in terms of bet sizes or checking? My plan on the river was to check if the villain checked again, thinking back i dont think he would check a flush so should have bet maybe 2/5 pot for value and fold to a re raise.
Let me know your opinions please :)

"6 seat, micro stakes cash game, villain is utg+1 and can be aggressive."

So we have a six max, with Villain Being in what you say as UTG+1 which doesn't exist on a six max table villain is actually in Middle position ( and we know that he's aggressive)

"I am on the button with 10h 9d and call a 2 big blind raise, we go heads up to the flop."

You're on the button and are dealt 9/10 off

Middle position opens 2x So, to make this easier we will say you're playing $1/$3 blinds.

So villain raises to $6 and you flat on the button so pot is ($16)

I'm fine with the flat here, since we are up against an aggro player, I feel like we can control the action. If we flop huge most likely he will be leading the action if we flop bad it's an easy fold.

"Flop: 7 A 9 - all hearts, villain checks and i raise 3/4 pot, villain calls."

So villain checks and you bet (not raise) ($12) and villain flats so pot is ($40)

I will actually check this back most times because villain lead the action and they can easily check the top of their range to induce action. I don't hate the lead but you're bloating the pot un-necessarily IMO. If you're going to bet out 1/4th pot is a better amount IMO.

Turn: 8c - i have flush and straight draw with 2nd pair, i bet half the pot and villain
calls.

I'm guessing villain checked to you I didn't see that anywhere but since you bet half pot I'm assuming they checked... So in this case know that you turned a ton of equity I would be looking to get money in the pot, so instead of half pot I would have bet 3/4th pot

but you bet $20 and they called so now the pot is ($80)

So now you river one of your MANY outs. and villain leads out for $80 I don't know how deep you are.... and the stack sizes will make a LARGE difference in the way I play this hand.... but a call here is fine. If villain flopped the flush they just get paid, and if they were trapping with a flopped set and river boat then they will just have to show me..

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The position you are thinking of is not UTG+1, this is the Highjack seat in 6-max.

The position in 6-max are the 2 Blinds, Button, Cut-off, Highjack, UTG

From an opener from the HJ, I would be folding T9o from the BTN. It just does not seem like a very profitable call here. UTG and HJ tend to have much tighter ranges then the CO, therefore against the HJ range you will likely be behind the majority of the time. You will also not be able to continue against a 3-bet or squeeze from the blinds. So unless the HJ is a massive fish, this would be a fold pre-flop.

As played, I think you are getting to aggressive with a marginal hand. You should definately be checking back the turn after he called for pot control and to take the free card.

Once you hit trips on the river there was no turning back. I don't suggest raising there, but calling seems very fine. It feels like he was trying to represent the hand you had by raising the river, so calling is an easy desicion imo.

Last edited:
MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The position you are thinking of is not UTG+1, this is the Highjack seat in 6-max.

The position in 6-max are the 2 Blinds, Button, Cut-off, Highjack, UTG

From an opener from the HJ, I would be folding T9o from the BTN. It just does not seem like a very profitable call here. UTG and HJ tend to have much tighter ranges then the CO, therefore against the HJ range you will likely be behind the majority of the time. You will also not be able to continue against a 3-bet or squeeze from the blinds. So unless the HJ is a massive fish, this would be a fold pre-flop.

My original thought was a fold, but up against an aggro player. I was fine with the flat. I feel like I fold in this spot more times then I call but for the point of the post I was fine with having position over the aggro open making for an easy fold on a awful board or great implied odds against an aggro player if we flop good. I generally call the positions on a six max table SB, BB, UTG, MP, Cut-off, Button... But It's fine to replace MP with Hi-jack I guess.

H

HSmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"6 seat, micro stakes cash game, villain is utg+1 and can be aggressive."

So we have a six max, with Villain Being in what you say as UTG+1 which doesn't exist on a six max table villain is actually in Middle position ( and we know that he's aggressive)

"I am on the button with 10h 9d and call a 2 big blind raise, we go heads up to the flop."

You're on the button and are dealt 9/10 off

Middle position opens 2x So, to make this easier we will say you're playing $1/$3 blinds.

So villain raises to $6 and you flat on the button so pot is ($16)

I'm fine with the flat here, since we are up against an aggro player, I feel like we can control the action. If we flop huge most likely he will be leading the action if we flop bad it's an easy fold.

"Flop: 7 A 9 - all hearts, villain checks and i raise 3/4 pot, villain calls."

So villain checks and you bet (not raise) ($12) and villain flats so pot is ($40)

I will actually check this back most times because villain lead the action and they can easily check the top of their range to induce action. I don't hate the lead but you're bloating the pot un-necessarily IMO. If you're going to bet out 1/4th pot is a better amount IMO.

Turn: 8c - i have flush and straight draw with 2nd pair, i bet half the pot and villain
calls.

I'm guessing villain checked to you I didn't see that anywhere but since you bet half pot I'm assuming they checked... So in this case know that you turned a ton of equity I would be looking to get money in the pot, so instead of half pot I would have bet 3/4th pot

but you bet $20 and they called so now the pot is ($80)

So now you river one of your MANY outs. and villain leads out for $80 I don't know how deep you are.... and the stack sizes will make a LARGE difference in the way I play this hand.... but a call here is fine. If villain flopped the flush they just get paid, and if they were trapping with a flopped set and river boat then they will just have to show me..
Cheers for that and sorry for the incorrect terminology :D
Yeah turn bet could have been bigger and flop is a hard one cuz its marginal and drawing, thanks for the analysis though :)

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Folding in Poker