Villain (BB): $551.53

Pre flop: (pot: $3) Hero has J J

Folded to hero Hero raises to $5, BB calls $5

Flop: ($10.50, 2 players) J 8 7
BN checks Hero bets $5, BB calls $5

Turn: ($20.50, 2 players) 6
BB checks Hero bets $10, BB calls $10

River: ($39.15, 2 players) 3h
BB bets $12.85, Hero raises to $36, BN raises all in 533.53, Hero ??

So how would you play??

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lot to learn but I'll have a crack.

I'd fold. Must be suited connectors in villain's calling range from BB and board screams straight to me. Could have hit it early with 45 suited or T9 suited/off and then slow played it with the calls? The river lead out is potentially faking weakness to induce a raise so they can shove over the top. With villain's range and betting line can't rule out a set weaker than JJ I suppose, or two pair, but straight seems more likely to me with that weak river lead and shove.

Last edited:
C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow that's a tough one. You both are pretty deep so hand strength like a set on this board can go down in value. On paper it looks a fold but if this actually happened to me id struggle to fold haha

AlexStar1981

AlexStar1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would probably buy more. It was all very tempting. He wouldn't for that price to get a draw out of nothing sitting with your junk. I think he's bluffing. And it would be good to read the outcome of the events-how did everything happen in the end?

D

Dani_California

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So how would you play??

Since we have no info about how the villain has been playing that far (aggressive? tight?) I would say that I'd probably call even though there's a chance to run into a straight. That's because there is also a chance that he's holding only two pairs or a smaller set or that he is just too in love with his top pair with A as a kicker for example. And of course he might just be bluffing even though I don't believe so in this situation. I just think that the highest set is too strong to fold here.

However, (I know this is not what you asked but...) I would play this hand differently on river and just call there. That way you wouldn't be giving him a chance to bluff against you or put you in a tough spot with a weaker hand than yours. Most of the time I just call on river if someone has been calling my raises that far and I'm not the one holding the nuts.

Do we get to know the outcome of that hand? Did you call and if so, what did he have? :)

lulu pk

lulu pk

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Check the turn for sure and call the river (the 12,80$) not the shove.I did not see the point for raising his bet when he call you on the flop and no point to raise his bet on the river neither.He can have J9or99 easily on that configuration.
Fold ofc

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Results will be added later :)

P

pauloandre100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I could not pay this shove, the turn would have played check/call.

G

Gambit123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would call. But what do I know

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
In my humble opinion: I will call. It smells as a Bluff to me!
But then I could be wrong, Of Couse! ;)

G

Gambit123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That small donk bet at River was weird and doesn't make sense to me. Unless he got a good read on you and your playing style

C

crow27

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2 check calls and a river donk...V loves his hand,even if he has terrible sizing....then 5x the pot after a raise screams straight.

V won't have AA,KK or QQ..no 3 bet pre. V's calling hands that lose to hero AND make it to river should only be 88 or 77 and MAYBE 66

As played, I think it's an easy fold, never should have raised the river though

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
River:($39.15, 2 players) 3
BB bets $12.85, Hero raises to $36, BN raises all in 533.53, Hero folds

I agree Hero should not have raised the river, I would of just called!

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's one hand that beats you and more then likely this bet screams it. If he had two pair I believe you'd heard something about it earlier. Now on the other hands I'd believe him to have a set, a complete bluff or top pair top kicker. If you've played enough against this villain you should be able to put together the hand and make the proper call or fold. If this is a very aggressive player I'd lean more toward calling

G

Gambit123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But now we will never know. In another world Line, you would call the all in and we would know if it was bluff or not

B

bark9188

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The initial river bet screams straight; I pay it off right there and save some cash. I would have bet a bit more on the flop and probably continued on the turn.